Armageddon - Three Years On

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can Barry Hearn sell fishing (fishing!!!) to Sky for more than we can sell football? Surely to f**k, our viewing figures can't be worse than fishing??

Fishing used to be the biggest participant sport in the UK. Might still be.

Fishing used to be the biggest participant sport in the UK. Might still be.

There's no doubting there's a market for it, but to watch it on TV? I know a lot of golfers (myself included) that wouldn't sit and watch all 4 rounds of a competition.

There's no doubting there's a market for it, but to watch it on TV? I know a lot of golfers (myself included) that wouldn't sit and watch all 4 rounds of a competition.

I agree. It's certainly not for me but it must be for numerous others.

There's hardly a huge excess of foreign players in the league right now. If anything, we could do with a few more at some clubs to help Scottish players add a little variety to their game.

The scenario given would allow 3 players from abroad on the pitch at any time. The point is that this would be fine for everyone bar the OF, the clubs who regularly rely on a lot more foreign players

That would be to the detriment of the Scottish game as a whole. Foreign players are often entertaining characters who add character and excitement to our game. Scottish players often learn a lot from them, and at a club like Celtic they can represent the additional level of quality which allows them to perform well in Europe.

Why compare our deal to the ludicrous Sky deal for England? What a fucking pathetic comparison that is.

Or we could compare it to countries with similar attendance figures to ourselves

Its a few years out of date but it still highlights how much we do our game down and Sky rips the piss

https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/the-sfaspl-tv-myth-how-we-compare-to-europe/

Or we could compare it to countries with similar attendance figures to ourselves

Its a few years out of date but it still highlights how much we do our game down and Sky rips the piss

https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/the-sfaspl-tv-myth-how-we-compare-to-europe/

A cursory look at the selective stats suggests being in a separate national league setup in the same country as a national and worldwide draw like the EPL is at least partly to blame. More the EPL gravitating money in than Sky or whoever paying a relative pittance for Scottish football rights? They've only got so much money to use to bid for rights.

Foreign players are often entertaining characters who add character and excitement to our game. Scottish players often learn a lot from them

Bilel Mohsni, for example :)

Should have heard the hacks at the post-match cup final press conference. Keith Jackson & co absolutely raging that such a diddy team had won the Cup.

Excellent.

Should have heard the hacks at the post-match cup final press conference. Keith Jackson & co absolutely raging that such a diddy team had won the Cup.

"We've went from Brian Laudrup and Henrik Larsson to guys from Kidderminster scoring in the cup final"

Glorious :lol:

Source for this?

"We've went from Brian Laudrup and Henrik Larsson to guys from Kidderminster scoring in the cup final"

Glorious.

Still not comparing like for like, in those countries virtually every game is live on TV, in Scotland it's about a quarter of games; on an individual game basis we get better money in comparison...

Having said that, you could argue that what SKY/BT are essentially paying for is exOF games and that's why so few of the other games are broadcast on TV & I've no doubt viewing figures would be used as an excuse for not broadcasting, say, St Mirren-v-Kilmarnock; however although I don't have access to them I can't imagine there are huge audience numbers for Aalesund-v-Haugesund but Norwegian TV still broadcasts it. Even our national public service broadcaster barely allow more than a few minutes of highlights and almost no discussion of The Rest.

Maybe we can convince the Scottish Government to do an Argentinian style Futbol Para Todos (football for everyone) channel on digital or satellite TV, it's the only feckin way we'll ever see fair coverage

Still not comparing like for like, in those countries virtually every game is live on TV, in Scotland it's about a quarter of games; on an individual game basis we get better money in comparison...

Having said that, you could argue that what SKY/BT are essentially paying for is exOF games and that's why so few of the other games are broadcast on TV & I've no doubt viewing figures would be used as an excuse for not broadcasting, say, St Mirren-v-Kilmarnock; however although I don't have access to them I can't imagine there are huge audience numbers for Aalesund-v-Haugesund but Norwegian TV still broadcasts it. Even our national public service broadcaster barely allow more than a few minutes of highlights and almost no discussion of The Rest.

Maybe we can convince the Scottish Government to do an Argentinian style Futbol Para Todos (football for everyone) channel on digital or satellite TV, it's the only feckin way we'll ever see fair coverage

I'd love to be able to watch more Scottish Football! Why we haven't pushed for the full Championship highlights to be on Sportscene I'll never know. Last year was the perfect time to do it but instead we got whatever games the "big three" were on TV for and a selected few others. I wouldn't mind seeing more of the lower leagues and the developmental league but can't make the DL games as they're at daft times of the day and I'm at Aberdeen games every week.

What about an internet channel? Most people have Smart TV's or you can get an Amazon stick for £35! There's a far larger potential audience now than ever before and I think it's about time it was looked into.

Once rangers eventually get back into the top flight, the TV deal will instantly return to default - ie - Sky will show every Rangers and Celtic away game on alternate weeks with no thought to what game is actually interesting that week.

When the OF was still a thing, I used to be genuinely baffled at the non-OF match choices (they seemed to be bizarrely taken with St Johnstone - Aberdeen for some reason) which seemed to be taken almost at random. It must have been the only TV deal that would ignore the actual biggest game in a weekend (Hearts or Aberdeen at Celtic Park for example) in order to show Rangers at Hamilton Accies or whatever.

I'm sure there are sensible commercial reasons for the broadcasters to do what they've done in the past but it doesn't promote the game here - and must be fucking miserable for Rangers and Celtic fans that go to away games (and I'm not one to stick up for them very often) that need to be in Dingwall or Inverness for a midday kickoff.

Archived