Armageddon - Three Years On

With apologies to those of equal or greater merit whose faces have been omitted, and there are many.

To the Scottish media, the Scottish football authorities, and the various mouth-breathers and chairmen out there - What is Left of Scottish Football is still awaiting an apology for the hysteria and shitebaggery.

Shitebaggery :lol: Lovely word.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. Put an end to the pervading sense amongst media and the authorities that the game is somehow 'waiting' for Sevco to make their debut in the top flight. Start focusing on what's going well in the game.

For one thing, I'd be interested to see some figures on the number of domestic players in the Premier League over the past ten years. I could be wrong but it feels to me that there are fewer dud imports over here now than at times in the past.

Scotland's ranking also improved from 48 to 30 over last 3 years - but we neeeeeeeeeeeeed Sevco ha ha ha

The amount of projection that goes on in the media is very interesting - the hacks and their bosses for professional and personal reasons want to see Rangers in the top league and so they need make some wider story around that - Armageddon, which has been getting a redux over the past few days as the reality that they were in the 2nd tier for another season kicked in.

The problem is that the Armageddon story only had any credence when clubs were left with contracts and bonus arrangements that factored Rangers in - three years later, clubs will be paying contracts in line with the amount of money available and if anything, this has caused the financial position to improve at a number of clubs..

Add to that, that there has been a wide distribution of cup wins and high league finishes amongst clubs that wouldn't normally be there and things are arguably more interesting than they were during the 2 horse race days of the OF.

The media still thinks about scottish football exclusively through the prism of the Old Firm rivalry - something that is unlikely to be restored for many years to come given the state of Rangers and the hugely better position Celtic are in - and so they need to catch up or become (more) irrelevant.

Stewart Gilmour, Stewart Milne and that Inverness chairman who had a tear stained rant when Rangers weren't shoe horned into division 1.

On aboot min?

We voted for Sevco to get punted to Division 3 #Club5

It has been one of the most enjoyable times to watch Scottish football. So many clubs now genuinely have a chance of making it to a final or winning a trophy. Far more clubs are producing their own players rather than pishing away money they don't have on third rate foreign imports; as mentioned a few posts ago there are far more Scottish players playing in our top flight. The national team are doing better than they've done for years. We are exporting more players to 'bigger' leagues.

There seems to be a direct link between the lack of money and how well our game is doing, and how enjoyable it is to follow.

If only celtic would follow suit and start their own 'journey' to oblivion, then the premier league title race would be one of the most exciting and wide open in Europe.

On aboot min?

We voted for Sevco to get punted to Division 3 #Club5

Milne vetoed the 10-2 vote, though, didn't he? And also...

Stewart Gilmour.

Gilmour deserves all the abuse he gets around the Armageddon pish, but I'd like to think he redeemed himself more than slightly for standing up against the 8-8-8 bollocks when a lot of other chairmen seemed to be in favour of it.

Milne, in particular, was especially critical of Gilmour, IIRC.

Yep, here it is:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11789/8642192/stewart-milne-blasts-stewart-gilmour-over-failed-spl-restructuring-vote

"I'm very angry and I think today we have let down Scottish football. St Mirren Football Club have got to go and pose the question 'why are they prepared to put the rest of Scottish football in jeopardy just because of their own selfish interests which they have been unable to explain in reasonable terms to people around the table today.

What a c**t :lol:

Actually they'd fail to notice the club had made it that far because they'd be too obsessed with the size of the crowds.

And they would link the club's best player with a move to Celtic on the back page on the day of the game.

I wonder if there will ever come a time when it penetrates their thick skulls that Scottish football is actually managing quite well without the presence of The Rangers in the Premiership.

Never, unfortunately. In addition to the vast majority of them being OF fans you'd have to overturn a deep routed attitude that the bigots are all that matter. It's far more than just selling papers, increasing hits or viewers. It's a mindset; a way of life.

The amount of projection that goes on in the media is very interesting - the hacks and their bosses for professional and personal reasons want to see Rangers in the top league and so they need make some wider story around that - Armageddon, which has been getting a redux over the past few days as the reality that they were in the 2nd tier for another season kicked in.

The problem is that the Armageddon story only had any credence when clubs were left with contracts and bonus arrangements that factored Rangers in - three years later, clubs will be paying contracts in line with the amount of money available and if anything, this has caused the financial position to improve at a number of clubs..

Add to that, that there has been a wide distribution of cup wins and high league finishes amongst clubs that wouldn't normally be there and things are arguably more interesting than they were during the 2 horse race days of the OF.

The media still thinks about scottish football exclusively through the prism of the Old Firm rivalry - something that is unlikely to be restored for many years to come given the state of Rangers and the hugely better position Celtic are in - and so they need to catch up or become (more) irrelevant.

Outwith the improving club finances, the financial boost that communities get from clubs doing well is never even considered. When you see the pictures from such as Aberdeen, Perth and Inverness of the numbers welcoming the cups home, the financial kick up the backside those cities must have got from those days alone, everything from car parking charges to pubs, cafes etc, must have been excellent. Obviously in the current economic climate this is more than welcome.
But who gives a f**k. All that matters is Glasgow and the Old Firm. Yet they call everyone outwith this bubble parochial.

People will continue to talk the game down in this country. If one of our clubs got far in the CL or EL, QF's or something like that, the media would still be telliing us how shite is it is.

They'd pat the plucky little diddies on the head whilst reminding everyone the OF previously won Euro trophies and got to Finals fairly recently before taking the opportunity to keep producing archive material of the bigot brothers Euro campaigns whilst ignoring Aberdeen's trophies.

As I mentioned on another thread: with the exception of the League Cup lacking a sponsor, it's hard to identify anything which has got worse since the days when "Armageddon", "nuclear winter", "social unrest" and "slow lingering death" were being widely predicted.

TV deal stood, some small new deals were signed overseas and with BBC Alba, Ladbrokes has joined as league sponsor. Far from going bust, several clubs have cleared their debts. Hearts went into admin but that wasn't due to Rangers demise and they've now sorted themselves out.

Crowds are up in most places outside Glasgow and likely to continue rising.

Wide variety of clubs have reached cup finals and won trophies. Aberdeen did a decent job of mounting a title challenge for much of this season. Slow but steady improvements in Europe - and a marked improvement in the national team. More home-grown players featuring in the Premiership.

We've also seen the SPL & SFL merge, the Premiership playoffs start, the beginning of the pyramid system, and other developments like the performance schools. Even saw a non-OF club (Aberdeen) win the U20s league this season.

Things are actually going well in Scottish football and it's a shame that the authorities and media have to constantly focus on the doom-n-gloom line. They shouldn't focus on it anyway, but it's particularly galling when in general it's not even accurate.

Another undercurrent is that the top league isn't competitive anymore and won't be again until Rangers are 'back at the top table' etc. A two team carve up for my whole life never felt competitive to me. That's the vibe from the west coast media shills though.

The MSM has made a complete James of themselves throughout bar a few exceptions. They've much to be disappointed about this morning.

Another undercurrent is that the top league isn't competitive anymore and won't be again until Rangers are 'back at the top table' etc. A two team carve up for my whole life never felt competitive to me. That's the vibe from the west coast media shills though.

The MSM has made a complete James of themselves throughout bar a few exceptions. They've much to be disappointed about this morning.

They don't understand that to fans who don't support Celtic or Oldco/Sevco it makes no difference which one of them wins it. They are pretty much just seen as one by most other fans.

And watching the FA Cup final after the Scottish Cup final and acknowledging the difference in quality, I was struck by how entertaining and passionate the Scottish final was compare to the anodyne game played out in London.

And watching the FA Cup final after the Scottish Cup final and acknowledging the difference in quality, I was struck by how entertaining and passionate the Scottish final was compare to the anodyne game played out in London.

Agreed. The atmostphere at Wembley seemed very flat.

Archived