Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

I get the point about his second season.  However, we missed on the Top 6 by one game I believe, and we ended up finishing a middle-of-the-road 7th.  Not the worst season in the world.  I've heard the "he left us without a squad".  From my point of view, it left the new manager a clean slate.  For all his mentalness, Gannon did a bloody good job bringing players in.  However, we're now discussing something that happened seven years a job.  Move on. 

The second part.  Again, I understand your thinking, but let's look at it logically.  Was "Manager of Motherwel FC" his big goal when he started out in management?  Of course not.  He's managed at the top level in England.  Things haven't worked for him since, and he's failed everywhere else but Motherwell.  In that sense, I agree Motherwell is the right fit for him.  However, I have no issues with Mark McGhee having the confidence and self-belief to think he could still go higher in his career, should he want to.

I think McGhee will have another couple of seasons at Fir Park before he moves on.  If things go well here, I would take a punt that he'll be looking to get the Scotland gig once his pal Strachan steps away.

Do we want players at the club thinking Motherwell is the pinnacle of their career?  Or do we want them to come in with the ambition to better themselves and get that move on to bigger and better things when the time is right?  It's always the latter for me, therefore, we should allow the same leeway for a manager.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't want McGhee back, not because I thought he was a bad manager but his general attitude. When he speaks about being at the club i feel he gives off the attitude that the job is beneath him and he is just doing us a favour by being here. Even if you watched what he was like after he left us for the sheep his attitude stank. In his first press conference did he not speak about wanting the Celtic job but Aberdeen will suit him for the time being, which must have instantly alienated him from the support on his first day in the job. Then telling them that a 9-0 spanking from the green arse cheek was nothing to be worried about as it was only for 3 points. Aberdeen fans can maybe back me up on this but by the time he left would it be fair to say the relationship between him and the fans could be described as poisonous ??

The main thing that sticks with me though was he never even applied for the job, we went on our hands and knees to him which is a bit embarrassing considering how he left.

But all that is behind us now and he definitely turned the ship round which is all he could do so fair play to him, and i get the feeling a part of his job is to help prepare Craigen to take over which will be good as it means we have a plan in place for when he f**ks off at the first sign of something else this time round.

The fact is that before McGhee joined again we were looking like an absolute stick on for relegation. Not to mention the Morton debacle which is the worst performance I can remember both tactically as well as on the park.

He might be a bit arrogant, but there's no denying he can manage at this level very well indeed.

Aberdeen fans can maybe back me up on this but by the time he left would it be fair to say the relationship between him and the fans could be described as poisonous ??

They also told us we'd be relegated and that we'd be fucked with him in charge, so...nah. Don't really put a lot of stock in what they think.

I get the point about his second season.  However, we missed on the Top 6 by one game I believe, and we ended up finishing a middle-of-the-road 7th.  Not the worst season in the world.  I've heard the "he left us without a squad".  From my point of view, it left the new manager a clean slate.  For all his mentalness, Gannon did a bloody good job bringing players in.  However, we're now discussing something that happened seven years a job.  Move on. 

The second part.  Again, I understand your thinking, but let's look at it logically.  Was "Manager of Motherwel FC" his big goal when he started out in management?  Of course not.  He's managed at the top level in England.  Things haven't worked for him since, and he's failed everywhere else but Motherwell.  In that sense, I agree Motherwell is the right fit for him.  However, I have no issues with Mark McGhee having the confidence and self-belief to think he could still go higher in his career, should he want to.

I think McGhee will have another couple of seasons at Fir Park before he moves on.  If things go well here, I would take a punt that he'll be looking to get the Scotland gig once his pal Strachan steps away.

Do we want players at the club thinking Motherwell is the pinnacle of their career?  Or do we want them to come in with the ambition to better themselves and get that move on to bigger and better things when the time is right?  It's always the latter for me, therefore, we should allow the same leeway for a manager.

I thought it was a decent appointment 2nd time round, but I don't like the guy. I don't think I'm going to change my opinion of him either, but I don't really care as long as he's getting results and we're making progress I don't care whether I like him or not. I don't think he's a brilliant manager, but he's definitely done well with us.

This has been noted before I think, but he has been perhaps just been naively honest in the press, you also have to bear in mind that the media will be selective with quotes.

Eg - McGhee didn't say he should be managing Liverpool , he said that had things gone the right way at Leicester, he could well have gone on to manage a club like Liverpool.

Also tells you a lot about tge media, that on his appointment at Aberdeen, they are directing questions to him about Celtic.

He could be a bit more savvy though.

This has been noted before I think, but he has been perhaps just been naively honest in the press, you also have to bear in mind that the media will be selective with quotes.

Eg - McGhee didn't say he should be managing Liverpool , he said that had things gone the right way at Leicester, he could well have gone on to manage a club like Liverpool.

Also tells you a lot about the media, that on his appointment at Aberdeen, they are directing questions to him about Celtic.

He could be a bit more savvy though.

^^^^^ 100% this.

I'll admit I'm not precious enough to get actively enraged about that sort of stuff in the first place. To me it was fairly evident what he was getting at when he mentioned Liverpool. There's a definite feeling that people are inclined to overlook what he's actually saying and just try and make it fit their own narrative.

In truth I took much more issue with McCall's attitude towards Rangers and how it manifested itself in performances than anything that McGhee's said or done recently. (Motherwell top of the league and talking us down against Newco in the 3rd division and the subsequent defeat, his 21-2 aggregate score or whatever his record was against them before they died yet still dropping in his comment about beating Celtic a couple of times in his 'open letter' when he walked).

I'd think it'd be the Celtic game +1.

Edit: It is. "The player will now miss the next two first-team matches starting immediately." http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/05/12/lasley-and-robinson-face-bans/

Just been mentioned on the club twitter that it's a 3 game ban for Lasley - 1 for the previous red and two for "serious foul play" - seems very harsh for what was a very marginal sending off in my view....I may be wrong but I think Robson got off with a 1 game ban after his red card in the Fir Park game. Even if he got 2 games - to suggest equivalence between the two offences is laughable.

So, he'll miss the meaningless Celtic game, plus two games in the League Cup group stages (probably against lower league opposition? 

Agree a 3-game ban seems harsh, for what is was for, but it could be worse.

I thought unless it was for Violent Conduct (this one is "serious foul play") then the ban is served in the same competition and so it would be 3 league games he'd miss. Might be talking shite though.

Archived