Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Hounded out' of a football message forum. Deary me.

Anyway, I think I'll save you the bother as I've had it with this place, for now anyway.

Goodnight.

'Hounded out' of a football message forum. Deary me.

Anyway, I think I'll save you the bother as I've had it with this place, for now anyway.

Goodnight.

I'm sure you'll be back telling us how you're 'going for 55' after the summer.

Look forward to it.

I see a few had a P&B style "heads gone" moment yesterday?

"Can we get him hounded out?"  :lol: Oh dear.

I've never met MJC (that I know of) but I've had a few disagreements on this forum, and the other one, over the time, but the points have been put across from both sides and debated, like two men who are older than 12 years old.

Interesting to see the usual names mentioning Rangers again, and not one of them was MJC. 

What is it people are complaining about this time?  I've read his posts, and whether you agree with them or not, I don't see what's wrong with them.  He's perfectly entitled to his opinion. 

Motherwell FC had absolutely no control over what went on at Hampden yesterday.  Celtic fucked it?  Ah well, not a lot we can do about it.  It's all absolutely irrelevant should we fail to finish 4th anyway.

I've been lucky enough over the years to have made it to a few of the away Euro games and I've got some great memories.  Am I gutted at maybe missing out on QR1 of the Europa League, on 30 June?  I can't say I am.  I'll still be on my summer holidays at that point.  Plus, my days of travelling to away European games are a thing of the past (particularly at that level) now I have a young family.

Some of the posts on here yesterday were an embarassment. 

Indeed and you ask any 'Well fan who was around at the time to name our Cup winning side of '91 and the majority will be able to list them without a second thought. That's why we're having a 25 year anniversary celebration next month because that was the greatest achievement we've had in the last three decades. By the same token how many Motherwell fans could list the starting 11 and subs for say, the Panathanaikos match a few years back? Very few if any I'd wager. The next time we qualify for Europe I want it to be as Scottish Cup WINNERS.

See FWIW, I could name the team that finished second without a thought. I loved that team, same as McGhee's first one. 

"Can we get him hounded out?" :lol: Oh dear.

I've never met MJC (that I know of) but I've had a few disagreements on this forum, and the other one, over the time, but the points have been put across from both sides and debated, like two men who are older than 12 years old.

Interesting to see the usual names mentioning Rangers again, and not one of them was MJC.

What is it people are complaining about this time? I've read his posts, and whether you agree with them or not, I don't see what's wrong with them. He's perfectly entitled to his opinion.

Motherwell FC had absolutely no control over what went on at Hampden yesterday. Celtic fucked it? Ah well, not a lot we can do about it. It's all absolutely irrelevant should we fail to finish 4th anyway.

I've been lucky enough over the years to have made it to a few of the away Euro games and I've got some great memories. Am I gutted at maybe missing out on QR1 of the Europa League, on 30 June? I can't say I am. I'll still be on my summer holidays at that point. Plus, my days of travelling to away European games are a thing of the past (particularly at that level) now I have a young family.

None of that actually happened though.

See FWIW, I could name the team that finished second without a thought. I loved that team, same as McGhee's first one. 

This. I could add the mid-90's side of Coyne, Arnott, Lambert, etc as a team whose pinnacle was "only" to get 2nd place in the league and qualify for Europe - they won nothing but are my favourite 'Well side ever. Judging the merits of a 'Well team based on what they won is fucking ludicrous given our rather short "honours" column.

My view of Europe is that I always want us to get there - selfishly so I can have a good trip but really because by qualifying through the league, we must have had a good season by our standards and for regular supporters that's got to be the main thing. I'd love to see us win a cup again but my expectations are zero on that one (and I'm in no mood to "celebrate" a 25 year gap between winning something when practically all our peer clubs have), so a high league finish is something that is rare and has a small reward at the end and is worth "celebrating"

My view aside, I have to say that preferring not to be in the 1st qualifying round of europe in June is a perfectly acceptable view IMO - 2014/15 started with Footgolf and Stjarnan in July (a round later than we would have been this time) and the sense that we were very badly prepared never really went away as we almost went down - and I couldn't blame someone for not fancying that part of it again. I would counter that argument by pointing out that our best performance in Europe where we came through 2 rounds and came close to making the group stages against Odense was (a) a very early start and (b) no impediment to a decent season.

I must admit the shambolic build up from McCall to face that Icelandic pub team Stjarnan has put me off for a wee while, the players only played one full pre season game after having a lads jolly in Portugal for a second summer holiday, looked largely unfit and unorganised.  Had we however prepared properly and ended up getting through a couple of qualifying rounds i may have said differently.  But McGhee is a completely different type of manager who is very big on the fitness aspect of training so from that point of view we would probably be better equipped this time round if it did happen.  Anyway it will be interesting to try out this new league cup format in July to see if the change has been worth it.

My view aside, I have to say that preferring not to be in the 1st qualifying round of europe in June is a perfectly acceptable view IMO - 2014/15 started with Footgolf and Stjarnan in July (a round later than we would have been this time) and the sense that we were very badly prepared never really went away as we almost went down - and I couldn't blame someone for not fancying that part of it again. I would counter that argument by pointing out that our best performance in Europe where we came through 2 rounds and came close to making the group stages against Odense was (a) a very early start and (b) no impediment to a decent season.

I had been going back and forth between those two scenarios when talking about potential European qualification.  My main gripe has always been the way these competitions are set-up nowadays by UEFA.  It's even changed a fair bit in the eight years or so since we got back in.  30th June start?  That's farcical.  Thinking back months later, the Stjarnan farce left more of a mark on me that I thought.  Our preparation for it was a disgrace, and in my mind, played a significant part in our poor start to the season, which we failed to recover from.

On the flip side, that wee run we had under Craig Brown.  You are right, that was great and without doubt gave us momentum going into the season. 

It's a sad state of affairs that even if we were to win the Cup, or finish 2nd in the league, the best we'd get is into QR2 of the Europa League.  Still miles away from the Group Stages.  UEFA has fucked it.  The rich gets richer, and bugger the rest of them.

"Can we get him hounded out?" :lol: Oh dear.

Apart from MJC on multiple threads

What is it people are complaining about this time? I've read his posts, and whether you agree with them or not, I don't see what's wrong with them. He's perfectly entitled to his opinion.

It's an open board, his opinion can be disagreed with.

Motherwell FC had absolutely no control over what went on at Hampden yesterday. Celtic fucked it? Ah well, not a lot we can do about it. It's all absolutely irrelevant should we fail to finish 4th anyway.

No one ever claimed we had control but someone would have benefitted from celtic winning, why not the team we support?

I've been lucky enough over the years to have made it to a few of the away Euro games and I've got some great memories. Am I gutted at maybe missing out on QR1 of the Europa League, on 30 June? I can't say I am. I'll still be on my summer holidays at that point. Plus, my days of travelling to away European games are a thing of the past (particularly at that level) now I have a young family.

Selfish?

Some people might not have been lucky enough to experience the trips you have.

Never mind though at least MJC gets to troll a cup final thread now.

I had been going back and forth between those two scenarios when talking about potential European qualification.  My main gripe has always been the way these competitions are set-up nowadays by UEFA.  It's even changed a fair bit in the eight years or so since we got back in.  30th June start?  That's farcical.  Thinking back months later, the Stjarnan farce left more of a mark on me that I thought.  Our preparation for it was a disgrace, and in my mind, played a significant part in our poor start to the season, which we failed to recover from.

On the flip side, that wee run we had under Craig Brown.  You are right, that was great and without doubt gave us momentum going into the season. 

It's a sad state of affairs that even if we were to win the Cup, or finish 2nd in the league, the best we'd get is into QR2 of the Europa League.  Still miles away from the Group Stages.  UEFA has fucked it.  The rich gets richer, and bugger the rest of them.

I'd agree with this, as well. The deck is stacked against all of us in Scotland.

That said, the Brown one you mention is a relevant one, as there's no particular reason we couldn't have such a run again, should we get a bit fortunate.

Yes, coming up against Steaua, Nancy and Panathinaikos left us a huge mountain to climb, before a ball was kicked, just in terms of resources and size. However, We should've had Odense, and we should've made the group stages. Even if we'd gone and lost six games, it would've been massive for the club going forward financially. Additionally, McCall's attitude regarding the qualifiers was dreadful. There's no chance we'd have gone into the games against Krasnodar, Levante or Stjarnan, as under-prepared as we were under McCall, with, for example, Brown in charge.  For all his foibles in how he left us, he played that campaign perfectly. Each of those three ties were winnable, and we barely contested them.

Archived