My model for reconstruction

Would the hardcores realy be so pissed off about a 5 -6 week break in the new year? Sure depressing time without football but you dont have to wait for so long . The season would be starting again in 5 weeks time from now. FWIW ive been pretty depressed at some winter games in our open airy ground. Times you just want full time to hurry up so you can go to the car for heat

Now you're being ridiculous. Is that what you call thick and thin......jeezo. No.one is making you go and sit in the freezing cold.....you do have a choice. I don't imagine the winter break would piss anyone off, as such, but the June/July interference in summer & family time certainly would. And Scottish football can't afford to lose even more customers by reducing the number of matches AND impeding supporters' ability to attend. I'm not disputing that it gets cauld at the fitba.....i just genuinely don't believe we live in a place exciting enough at that time of year not to have it. Boxing Day and New Year fixtures often provide the largest attendances outwith early season optimism/ end of season decisive games. Yes, it bites, both financially and physically....but so what. Those who are interested, will go, those who don't, will not. I don't really believe the psyche of the Scottish people would be agreeable with wholesale change either. Attending a concurrently running season alongside all of the ones we watch on the telly, with the prizes handed out the same way at the same time, is as appealing as its going to get as far as attracting newer supporters. It also provides our small part of the earth with a meaningful contribution to the world's greatest sport. If Scottish football wants to succeed and get back in the black, it has to start selling itself for what it has, not what it doesn't have.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, any winter break / starting season earlier etc is more about improving the standard of play / pitches and boosting our chances of doing well in europe etc than anything else to do with more fans turning up, that would be an added bonus.

If teams are playing on better pitches, as opposed to water logged bogs then it "might" promote a more technical / passing game rather than hoofing it down the chanels. I say might, as it would take a while to convince some coaches that this tactic is better, and to get players used to it. Hopefully it might improve the standard of the games, which is more liekly to pull additional crowds in than the weather.

It would also give our teams a better chance in Europe, as how many times have we seen teams going out of Europe before they have even kicked a ball in the league, or in some cases even played a pre-season friendly.

A winter break makes good sense to give pitches and players a rest mid season. In addition im sure there are some part time players who may struggle to get time off during the summer from their other work so dont get a holiday, whereas with 4 weeks off in the winter gives them another option.

Granted the pitches aren't going to be perfect, we get waterlogged pitches in the summer etc but surely trying to get more games in when the pitches are good / less games when they are likely to be bad is a sensible solution. I appreciate the arguments of people have other comitments in the summer, there is nothing else to do in the winter etc and that things aren't really that bad at the moment, but if your note always looking at ways to improve, you get left behind

We always stumble into this 'standard of play' banter on these threads, like its something which desperately needs addressed.....it doesn't. Ball control, basic skills and technique, yes, i'd agree that for all the skill set professional footballrs have, are things that can always be worked on. A hoof up the park leading to a goal will always get a bigger cheer than three one-twos inside the centre circle though. And, it can be argued, dodgy surfaces can only improve skills for when you actually get a gig on a nice flat pitch. All fair enough reasons for looking at change, nonetheless.

To be fair, any winter break / starting season earlier etc is more about improving the standard of play / pitches and boosting our chances of doing well in europe etc than anything else to do with more fans turning up, that would be an added bonus.

If teams are playing on better pitches, as opposed to water logged bogs then it "might" promote a more technical / passing game rather than hoofing it down the chanels. I say might, as it would take a while to convince some coaches that this tactic is better, and to get players used to it. Hopefully it might improve the standard of the games, which is more liekly to pull additional crowds in than the weather.

It would also give our teams a better chance in Europe, as how many times have we seen teams going out of Europe before they have even kicked a ball in the league, or in some cases even played a pre-season friendly.

A winter break makes good sense to give pitches and players a rest mid season. In addition im sure there are some part time players who may struggle to get time off during the summer from their other work so dont get a holiday, whereas with 4 weeks off in the winter gives them another option.

Granted the pitches aren't going to be perfect, we get waterlogged pitches in the summer etc but surely trying to get more games in when the pitches are good / less games when they are likely to be bad is a sensible solution. I appreciate the arguments of people have other comitments in the summer, there is nothing else

to do in the winter etc and that things aren't really that bad at the moment, but if your note always looking at ways to improve, you get left behind

well in my highly scientific experience , hot countries play nicer silkier fitbaw than cold ones - spain Italy portual brazil argentina Columbia. . so we should definitely do it! in all seriousness we need to talk our game up better, we need to work on our training and development across the board aswell so we can perhaps watch players who can string more than 3 passes together and aren't shite feart to take a defender on (Falkirk are pish at both).

1) better fitbaw all round

2) a few tweaks to the league, cup and season

3) playing in better conditions to play and watch in.

do that and we should be heading towards better days.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it needs to be kept simple, some of the above suggestions would baffle Stephen Hawkins! 3 leagues of 14, 26 games then split. Further 12 games for positions then 2 up 2 down.

I'm not sure the scheduling of those final 12 games would be simple at all, considering that one team would be sitting out of each round. For example, how would you decide which team would be disadvantaged by having to sit out of the final round of fixtures?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the split and many fans of Premiership teams do.

I don't like the split, mainly because for the exact problem Dundee have had in the season just past. If a middle of the road team finish 6th their season is effectively over, the team stops showing up and results dwindle due to a lack of motivation to win, because you are safe and European football was seen as an improbable objective.

If anything removing the split makes mid table more exciting all be it with a poor run of form resulting in a possibility of relegation.

I don't see a slightly larger league with no split as a bad thing, as long as you don't get to a 20 team league and there are multiple relegation and play off spots.

16 team leagues with 32 games would be my ideal set up. With 2 or 3 national tiers, 2 teams for automatic promotion and relegation and playoffs between 14th and 3rd, 4th and 5th.

- Shortens the league by 6 games a season and no need to change much with the cups just a little bit of adapting to fit with the clubs who qualify for what cups. so season can finish earlier or start later.

- Also lowers the current potential number of points and should make places 5th to 14th fairly close in points not losing the everything to play for feeling.

- potential for further adaptation should our beloved teams perform well in Europe and start gaining more qualification places.

- Alterations to the playoffs could make the bottom of each league more dangerous. ( edit: ignore the example I had here)

If we ever do restructure the leagues again, i want there to be one league of 42 teams for the first season, and the clubs slot into leagues based on their finish.

Would be amazing IMO

If we ever do restructure the leagues again, i want there to be one league of 42 teams for the first season, and the clubs slot into leagues based on their finish.

Would be amazing IMO

I would love a 2 year long double season and wherever you finish thats what devision youre in.

Thing is we realy need to open up below current teir 4 alot more than iz now. Why do some teams face a glass ceiling whilst others are protected no matter how pish they are.

Part of the idea of having league cup groups would be that lower league teams are guarenteed games against the bigger teams . A possible draw for teams and players. Plus if we have 3 national devisions of 16 ( regional bellpw) only the top 8 in devision 3 would enter the league cup. 40 tesms. Plus automatic relegation and play offs should mean that very few teams end up with nothing to play for . At least not till much later on

• 1 month later...

You'll never please all of the people all....etc.

I've said on other topics that maybe the days for having so many pro teams in Scotland are numbered and that perhaps we need to downsize.

However another option could be to introduce another 2 teams to the leagues and revamp the whole shebang.

Kick off next season 2016/17 with the following statement.

The following (last of the old system) season to be played from August to December 2016 with every team playing each other H&A once only, league winners announced in December.

Kick off the next season (2017) in springtime with 3 leagues and a brand new LC set up (interestingly they seem to be going to do the latter with the LC anyway).

Season KO's in early March with a 8 LC mini sections of 6 teams playing each other H&A, this would mean every section having 2 seeded teams and every team getting 2 home ties against 2 top league opponents. Winners and runners up go through to next section of 4 leagues of 4 again H&A format. Winners and runners up again go through to quarter finals (again H&A format), the winners to semi's then Final as per usual. The arithmetic involved would mean expanding the leagues numbers by another 2 teams and bringing in 4 wild cards (as we currently do) to up the competition number to 48 at the outset.

League campaign would involve 3 leagues containing 44 clubs kicking off in the 1st week of April.

16 team 1st Div with every playing each other once at Home & once Away (30 games)

18 team 2nd Div with every playing each other once at Home & once Away (34 games)

10 Team 3rd Div with every playing each other twice at Home & twice Away (36 games)

Div 1, 2 automatic relegation places with the team 3rd bottom going straight into a play off with 5th top of Div 2.

Div 2, 2 automatic promotion places with the 3rd and 4th playing off for the right to meet other 2 play-off sides.

Div 1 last place - Automatic relegation

Div 2 2nd last to play off against 4th place in Div3 for the right to face winners of 2nd v 3rd place play-off (pretty much as per current set up)

Last places team in Div 3 to play off against winners of lower leagues as per current set-up.

Scottish Cup to be played for upon the completion of the Final of the LC in June.

The benefits are that weather (though not guaranteed and just as wet) should at least be warmer and pitches better which should hopefully make for better football and increased gates. Lower costs for clubs through reduced floodlighting costs for games and training etc. Also with summer football TV deals might be available.

The season would finish in December with the Scottish Cup final but with the introduction of televised special competitions sponsored by big companies (e.g. The Diagio Derbies Celtic v Rangers, Hearts v Hibs, Killie v Ayr or St Mirren v Morton) ) you could still have friendly fixtures played on boxing day or New years day (or both as H & A). Div 1 clubs would potentially play a minimum of 41 games (30 league, 10 LC and 1 Scottish cup).

I know it's not a perfect fit (but what ever would be?) but maybe more tweaking isn't gonna do it and some form of major surgery is the only option.

why the aversion to automatic relegation from the bottom teir? i dont see why we need to look after the east stirlingshires and montroeses off this world when theyv basicly been rewarded just for existing whilst other teams get stuck at a glass ceiling. time for a proper pyramid

I've no particular aversion to it but it's something that would be voted upon by the league members..... having said that if it's all left to them I doubt anything will ever happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the split, mainly because for the exact problem Dundee have had in the season just past. If a middle of the road team finish 6th their season is effectively over, the team stops showing up and results dwindle due to a lack of motivation to win, because you are safe and European football was seen as an improbable objective.

If anything removing the split makes mid table more exciting all be it with a poor run of form resulting in a possibility of relegation.

If it hadn't been for the split, then Dundee's season would have been over even earlier last season. The split at least gave you something to play for until the 33rd game.

Trying to work out my own method of reconstruction and stumped. How many games could any given club play in a season from any of the spfl divisions? So that's all the cups and Europe plus the league campaign. Cheers in advance

Really throwing yourself into this eh?

Archived