5 Storey Tenements

My cousins stayed in the famous gorbals queen Elizabeth square flats. Memories of throwing water balloons 20 storeys up at the people below while my uncle and dad drank tartan special and smoked embassy reds while show waddy waddy played still resonate in my mind.

Which floor and block?

Cheers. Personally, I wouldn't have called that a tenement but then I realised I don't actually know the definition of a tenement.

From dictionary definitions, it would appear that a tenement is a big house (not Ibrox) that is divided into flats - whereas block of flats were never meant to be anything but a block of flats.

Still confused about when a flat becomes a tenement though.

A flat is off the landing/floor the building is called a tenement easy as that. Hence the term tenement flat.

Could be a contender the top looks quite modern like a full loft conversion to add another floor it certainly looks like a true five storey.

The links you provide are only four storey tenements where are the five stories you mention you do know that the ground floor does not constitute a storey.

Pretty sure you've just made this up.

Tenements are the adversary of all "men of letters"

and paper boys. I used to deliver morning papers to the tenements in Dalkeith Road (plus the freesheet Edinburgh Advertiser on a Thursday). As most of my customers seemed to live on the 3rd floor after running up and down stairs 6 days a week I had the physique of a racing snake.

these days however...

We've got a flat in North Kelvinside (not Maryhill) that may be a in a five storey tenement, but its one of the buildings that goes: Garden Flat, Ground Floor, 1st, 2nd, 3rd floors.

Don't know how that sits with Shiltrum and his tenement rules, but.

Cheers everyone. Some lovely 5+ storey action shots there.

Not sure if I subscribe to Shiltrum's "Tenement Rule" but it doesn't really matter ... it's all about the 5 high tenements.

When I was in someone's flat in Prague last month, they had similar 4 / 5 storey old buildings. The difference was that quite a few of them had lifts put in at the back. Not sure you'd get away with that here.

Another Edinburgh one with at least 7 floors.

The Royal Mile tenements are different from those elsewhere in that the street frontage probably has two floors less than the back. I remember going into a pub/music venue called Nicky Tam's in Victoria Street in Edinburgh a good number of years back. I went in at ground level on Victoria Street, went down two or maybe three levels and looked out of a window towards the Cowgate.

Here's another one from Victoria Street. Maxie's is entered from ground level at the other side and you go down a level to the terrace!

Oops, something has gone wrong with my post above when I tried to edit it. This is the first one.

post-9505-0-13794300-1433146131_thumb.jp

This is the Victoria Street one.

post-9505-0-00672500-1433146172_thumb.jp

And here's a bonus one from the Mound.

post-9505-0-66056500-1433146253_thumb.jp

They're probably not your idea of what a tenement is though.

what interests me is that in some streets in the New Town in Edinburgh the tenements have basement flats below street level.. and below the basement flats are sub basement flats! I don't know what it's like living in those but there can't be much natural daylight.

I lived in a basement flat in Greenock for a while. Due to the hill is was built on, the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen had no natural light, but the living room did. As I was a student at the time and spent most of my days pished, it didn't bother me a great deal most of the time, but during my dry spells it was f*cking horrible and I spent most of my time sleeping in the living room.

Archived