Motherwell vs Rangers - Playoff Final 2nd Leg

So - the first leg was better than almost any 'Well fan dreamed of - but there is still work to be done on Sunday in order to send us all off happy for the summer :)

Pearson and Hammel bring a lot to the team and it is vital that they both start the game IMO. I would imagine that the manager will be tempted to try the same tactics again as we don't need to chase the game whilst Rangers really do, so you'd imagine some more spaces in behind to be exploited. Having 2 wingers on kept Wallace and Foster on the back foot compared to the other playoff games and playing them again would give Rangers plenty to worry about.

I hope McCall treats this game like a cup tie ;)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Motherwell were murdering them and deservedly got to 3-0. Then sat back too much, invited too much pressure and conceded too many corners.... I really hope Motherwell can approch this almost as if it is 0-0 and hammer these cnuts big time. Their defence is pish, but up top they still have pace and some talent....

They don't like it up um'.

My message to the team would be just that. This is like one off game that we must win. Forget the 1st tie.

We cannot play for a draw or 1 goal defeat.

I am quite sure the Manager will do just that.

It all boils down to the 1st goal. Rangers get it and it is game on. We get it and the pressure is off for us to play with freedom and if that happens we will get through.

Just run at the rangers defence. They can't handle that.

Sadly neither can we, but we have better options up front.

Look at the Rangers team though - some of these players were really good once. Wallace and Law were brutal last night and whatever happened Templeton?

Last night was quality,didn't think Motherwell had that in them but fair play. When I look at their team though there is now way they should have finished 2nd bottom.

I've admired that Erwin chap this season. His finishing seems off but his positioning and link up play is really good. Certainly one to watch.

This tie is far from over.

It's vital we stop them from scoring early on as I fear a goal in the first 10-20 mins will lead to us collapsing.

Despite our dreadful season, we've had some great performances at Fir Park and have scored a good few goals too.

While I'd love to pump them off the pitch again and play as we did at Ibrox, I can't see past a tight nervy affair with us doing more to prevent Rangers scoring than actually win the game.

1-1 with us managing do enough to ensure survival.

It's a good thing for Motherwell I think that Rangers have to score goals, because it plays into the way that Motherwell played last night perfectly. Seen someone suggest that Motherwell crumbled when Rangers scored, but that didn't seem to be the case to me. The game was going more and more in Rangers' favour as Motherwell went deeper and the Rangers goal just kept things going in that direction, and I don't think Motherwell defended that badly after that either. They actually dealt with a lot of stuff quite well.

I think Motherwell have a couple more goals in them and that should be enough to see it out, on the assumption that they treat the game on Sunday the same as they treated this one.

I hope we try and win on the night as historically we are shite at trying to hold onto a lead. Hopefully Hammell and pearo make and it if we treat it as a normal home game I'm confident we'll get at least a draw

There was no great mystery about why Rangers were on top of us in the last 10 mins last night - we were fucking knackered. Erwin, who had been dragging them all over the place was out on his feet and should probably have been off earlier, Pearo and Hammel, 2 of our top men had gone off and Lasley was looking gubbed. Given the efforts that went before, I can live with it - but as this game has the potential for extra time, we need to be a bit more savvy.

Interesting wee snippet in the pre-match presser that Laing was mentioning he is out of contract at Forest and was looking to move permanently, which I'd take very happily...

Archived