Standing for Election

BerwickMad

Leaving aside councillors, there been several people who were council employees who walked away with sums bordering on a lottery win.

I take it councillors agreed to these contracts.

Lump sums and pensions for 3 or 4 years work.

The public don't know the half of it.

Well they do, after the nonsense has appeared in the local rag.

By that time the damage is done.

Btw, being a councillor is nothing special.

Your average committee man at a Junior club could do it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed they could! I know some really good people trying their best and working miracles and I know some that are just at it for the status and do feck all.

Nothing different from most jobs.

What I'm worried about is some of the calibre of people standing next year. There's been quite a few come from other parties, they think all that is required is to just make the odd speech, wear high heels and 'look the part' rather than work your arse off within the community, gain trust and work for the good of all.

There's campaign clips of candidates on YouTube with saltires, bagpipes and all kinds of 'Scottishness', totally cringeworthy.

Common denominator - all labour defectors. Fair enough, but it's like we have let the McGlashan wing in again, it's like they have to prove they are more Scottish than McWitch riding a tartan broomstick along the Royal Mile singing 'a moose loose aboot the hoose' and eating fucking shorty.

It's getting on my tits.

Common denominator - all labour defectors. Fair enough, but it's like we have let the McGlashan wing in again, it's like they have to prove they are more Scottish than McWitch riding a tartan broomstick along the Royal Mile singing 'a moose loose aboot the hoose' and eating fucking shorty.

It's getting on my tits.

Absotutely..

CMcYYXJWwAAgbpG.jpg

Indeed they could! I know some really good people trying their best and working miracles and I know some that are just at it for the status and do feck all.

Nothing different from most jobs.

What I'm worried about is some of the calibre of people standing next year. There's been quite a few come from other parties, they think all that is required is to just make the odd speech, wear high heels and 'look the part' rather than work your arse off within the community, gain trust and work for the good of all.

There's campaign clips of candidates on YouTube with saltires, bagpipes and all kinds of 'Scottishness', totally cringeworthy.

It's getting on my tits.

I'll cut the SNP some slack here.

In the 1990s the SNP had one or two councillors in the whole of Glasgow, out of 83 wards.

Most of the councillors i knew were Labour men and women.

Some were possible MP or MSP material.

Some i wondered how they knew to put an X on a ballot paper.

Maybe not thick but certainly sixpence short of a pound note.

Some were genuinely public spirited, others were complete chancers or careerists.

In the end even the Glasgow Labour Party had to hunt some of their own councillors for the 2012 local elections.

As for the SNP at Glasgow council level, the jury is still out, one or two are going places if they want to push it, others got in when the voting system changed.

Funnily enough one of them was an SNP councillor way back in 1968 for one term and didn't get back in till 2003.

Archived