Standing for Election

BerwickMad

I know there was a thread about this a couple of months ago, but I can't seem to find it. Have many people here stood for election before? Whether it be for parliament or for councils or town councils (or whatever the Scottish version is)? And what were your experiences?

I quite fancy standing for Berwick Town Council, but there seems to be resignations and infighting all of the time. Anyone any good or bad experiences?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new snp system revealed this week asks for your social media usernames and any accounts you have on websites to be disclosed.

Thats my FM dream over.

That'll be Reynard fucked an all then.

The new snp system revealed this week asks for your social media usernames and any accounts you have on websites to be disclosed.

Thats my FM dream over.

Surely you could deny using anything other than fb/twitter etc

Aye social media seems to be a bit of a block. Wonder if my abusive rants at George Osborne would come into play at town council level. 20k tweets, far too many to go through.

Three consecutive wins: 1986, 1990 and 1994. First time with 85% of the vote in a two horse race. :lol:

Also in hat-trick territory - close call in first (2004), 70% share in 2009, and unopposed 2014. Not that anyone outside our Branch gives a fúck... ;)

Actually looking into standing for local (County) office next time round, as this gives me almost four years to get organised.

Also in hat-trick territory - close call in first (2004), 70% share in 2009, and unopposed 2014. Not that anyone outside our Branch gives a fúck... ;)

Actually looking into standing for local (County) office next time round, as this gives me almost four years to get organised.

What party do you stand for? I don't actually think it should be very party political at town/parish level, but in Berwick it seems to be quite nasty between Lib Dems and Tories and spats about transparency all of the time.

Three consecutive wins: 1986, 1990 and 1994. First time with 85% of the vote in a two horse race. :lol:

What's the money like?

What party do you stand for? I don't actually think it should be very party political at town/parish level, but in Berwick it seems to be quite nasty between Lib Dems and Tories and spats about transparency all of the time.

I'm a member of TUSC, but you're right that personality is more important than party affiliation at that level.

I've done it. Won every round till the last two, I'm quite proud of that considering the area I worked solidly voted no last year and it's a labour stronghold to this day.

It's also hard work for practically no pay - £16k for a councillor.

It's a weird experience. I'm unsure if I would do not again, Edinburgh behind the scenes can be 'interesting' at best, GoT at worst. I have been asked and I'm sure my name will come up again, but it's maybe the newbies turn next time out.

Archived