St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

I wouldn't quite say he's a wasted talent. He's still only 21. Obviously a lot of shit has gone on in the background last season, especially playing under TC.

I think him / his agents mind was made up long before we appointed Murray that he wanted away

- and who could blame him we were (and possibly still are) a mess. I'd have rather he went to a prem club, but hopefully he does kick on as I genuinely think he is a quality player, with a good attitude (on the park anyway).

He can pass, shoot (despite his lack of goals), tackle, beat a man and can run all day. Good luck to him even if it was a sour ending. He's probably also doubled his salary on what he was on with us.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least we can move on now with a bit of £££ in our pockets.

Don't really care how he does for Hibs, I hope we finish above them but it's a 2 horse title race this season. If we are in the same division next season I expect us to be challenging for the title therefor hope he fails :D.

Good thing the saga is over and we get some easy money. Hope it's a good amount and our board haven't taken cheap cash again.

Can only echo the others say though- McLean drove on last year, made the best out of what was a bad team. McGinn went backwards and was a passenger. Hope McGinn can kick on and improve his career (not in games against us though!). If you told me 2 years ago he would move to a team in this division I wouldn't have believed you, I genuinely thought he was better than Stephen and could have had a career down south too.

I wouldn't quite say he's a wasted talent. He's still only 21. Obviously a lot of shit has gone on in the background last season, especially playing under TC.

I think him / his agents mind was made up long before we appointed Murray that he wanted away

- and who could blame him we were (and possibly still are) a mess. I'd have rather he went to a prem club, but hopefully he does kick on as I genuinely think he is a quality player, with a good attitude (on the park anyway).

He can pass, shoot (despite his lack of goals), tackle, beat a man and can run all day. Good luck to him even if it was a sour ending. He's probably also doubled his salary on what he was on with us.

Unfortunately I can't agree. McGinn has played his entire career in the top league in Scotland and now at the tender age of 20 is stepping down a level even if it is to a bigger club. Players like Templeton, Shiels et al, were given absolute pelters for taking a step backwards in their careers and although granted it wasn't as big a step down for McGinn, it still clearly is at a time when most young highly rated lads are making steps forward.

Templeton and shiels were at a far more advanced age and were dropping down several divisions when they could have easily won a move to a higher level (templeton especially at the time). Yes I agree

Mcginn should be going to a "higher" level - realistically the prem based on last years performances at best. If he can rediscover his form from 2 years ago he could easily win a move to a very good league one side or championship side down south.

I really think he mentally wasn't with it last year, God knows what was going on behind the scenes. Not sure if coincidence or not, but the one game Danny was manager of the Scotland u21s, mcginn was captain and got MoM. Maybe a change of scenery is what he needs, and as I said above his mind was prob made up well before the encouraging appointment of Murray.

Yes, the the opposition won't be as good, but hibs are comfortably better than us at the moment on paper, and bigger (again on paper).

So to say he's "wasted" at 20 is nonsense. And to compare it to templeton etc is also nonsense. At the very least he's making a sideways step!

A few seething posts on Black and White Army about McGInn. :lol:

Imagine you, SOL, calling anyone out for being seething about anything. Especially after the fucking 5 day meltdown you've had about Scott Allan, even having a heads gone moment to the point where you changed your username to 'Scott Allan' as you thought he was staying, then flipped your lid about the prospect of him leaving. :lol:

You've had a week long nightmare, son. In fact, your entire time on this site has been a myriad of anger directed at everything from Football Manager to Hibs to Wrestling.

You know it's bad when Sevco fans are comfortably getting the better of you, so away and have a lie down before you do yourself some real damage. There's a good boy.

Imagine you, SOL, calling anyone out for being seething about anything. Especially after the fucking 5 day meltdown you've had about Scott Allan, even having a heads gone moment to the point where you changed your username to 'Scott Allan' as you thought he was staying, then flipped your lid about the prospect of him leaving. :lol:

You've had a week long nightmare, son. In fact, your entire time on this site has been a myriad of anger directed at everything from Football Manager to Hibs to Wrestling.

You know it's bad when Sevco fans are comfortably getting the better of you, so away and have a lie down before you do yourself some real damage. There's a good boy.

^^^heads gone^^^

A few seething posts on Black and White Army about McGInn. :lol:

To be fair there is always a few seething posts on BWA, you should try st mirren supporters facebook page for some light entertainment.

I'm glad the saga is over not really bothered he's gone he wanted to so let him. Just disappointed how it all happened again this will prob be down to the snakes of agents rather than him. So let's hope he has a horrible season :)

Good luck to John. He had one and a half really good seasons and one really bad, who knows how he will turn out. Wouldn't surprise me if ended up playing at a decent level in England, also wouldn't surprise me if he ends up kicking around the Scottish game for the rest of his career.

In 12/13 he broke into the team and immediately looked very impressive, his performances in the semi final win over Celtic and final win over Hearts were particularly memorable. In 13/14 he rightly swept up at our POTY awards and his stock was high.

In 14/15 he was meant to kick on and become a real lynchpin of the team as an established, relatively experienced senior player.

He started pretty much every game in his favoured position of centre mid and did pretty much nothing all season. No goals, no assists, nothing at all really, he was pretty anonymous all season. He was a real let down and when we needed our big players to stand up before the split against County and Motherwell he hid and looked like he wasn't interested.

Anyway, wish him all the best. As with the other ten players who started the cup final, he will remain a Saints legend.

I also think the compensation system is a bit of a joke and this shows it up really. Personally I would do away with it and have freedom of movement for all out of contract players.

Buddies seem to forget McGinn was 19 last season and playing in a shit team yet everyone expected him to carry the whole lot of them. John was far from the worst player last season but he got most of the stick (besides Cheesy). I find it strange that many fans were saying give Reilly a chance to show what he can do when Reilly was older than McGinn and could not get near the first team after 3 years of trying but everyone expected McGinn to carry the whole team away from relegation on his own.

McGinn is an extremely talented player who will be a great success in my opinion. Sorry to see him go.

Buddies seem to forget McGinn was 19 last season and playing in a shit team yet everyone expected him to carry the whole lot of them. John was far from the worst player last season but he got most of the stick (besides Cheesy). I find it strange that many fans were saying give Reilly a chance to show what he can do when Reilly was older than McGinn and could not get near the first team after 3 years of trying but everyone expected McGinn to carry the whole team away from relegation on his own.

McGinn is an extremely talented player who will be a great success in my opinion. Sorry to see him go.

I like John and thought he did ok last year but this is a bit silly

Fans were giving Reilly a chance? Think not.

Reilly has been out injured for most of the last three years and only got a run in the team towards the end of the season where he did ok. Is he a better player than John? No. But lets not turn this into an excuse to have a go at another young player.

PS for what it's worth Good luck John... and enjoy your 4 years in the championship

Buddies seem to forget McGinn was 19 last season and playing in a shit team yet everyone expected him to carry the whole lot of them. John was far from the worst player last season but he got most of the stick (besides Cheesy).

Agreed, he got a lot of unwarranted criticism last season purely because the expectation on him was so high as a result of his previous performance and Tommy Craig's inability to put together a squad. I hope he does go on to bigger and better things than Hibs as he's more than capable of doing so. I would've loved to have been able to hold on to him for this season but I can't blame him for moving on. I just hope we get as close to the £270,000 as possible and don't settle for some measly amount.

I think we were only due £270,000 if he moved to England?

The max we can receive from another Scottish club is £150,000ish?

I don't have any solid proof of this, just remember reading that on here.

I think Danny Lennon isn't getting enough credit here. He had all the young guys playing incredible stuff. Kelly and Naismith were poor last season too.

edited to add I remember a few newspaper articles quoting the £270,000 figure when United were "interested" in him so who knows.

I like John and thought he did ok last year but this is a bit silly

Fans were giving Reilly a chance? Think not.

Reilly has been out injured for most of the last three years and only got a run in the team towards the end of the season where he did ok. Is he a better player than John? No. But lets not turn this into an excuse to have a go at another young player.

PS for what it's worth Good luck John... and enjoy your 4 years in the championship

Not having a go at Reilly. Just pointing out that McGinn was perceived as a saviour when only 19 and getting cut very little slack by a lot of the support.

Archived