St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quiet on here, thoughts on game yday? How did we play?

We looked decent in the middle of the park. Lots of neat and tidy football but still missing a cutting edge up top. Hard to judge, really given that Berwick weren't really up to much. Scott Agnew has a sweet left foot and is a real box to box player by the looks of things. Thommo is getting a hard time over on B&W army by some folk who clearly have memory issues but he linked up well, scored a penalty and was only denied an absolute peach of a header where he caught it whilst jumping backwards, by Colin Camerons hand. Have a look for yourself.

https://instagram.com/p/5kuSBnS0_q/

Definitely sterner tests ahead but in these days where folk are worried about how slight a player looks and might be too small to make it, it was quite refreshing to see Sean Kelly, Jack Baird and in particular, young Lewis Morgan (a lad I personally remarked about last season when I saw him that he'd need to fill out) all look bulkier and stronger than a few months back.

We looked decent in the middle of the park. Lots of neat and tidy football but still missing a cutting edge up top. Hard to judge, really given that Berwick weren't really up to much. Scott Agnew has a sweet left foot and is a real box to box player by the looks of things. Thommo is getting a hard time over on B&W army by some folk who clearly have memory issues but he linked up well, scored a penalty and was only denied an absolute peach of a header where he caught it whilst jumping backwards, by Colin Camerons hand. Have a look for yourself.

Definitely sterner tests ahead but in these days where folk are worried about how slight a player looks and might be too small to make it, it was quite refreshing to see Sean Kelly, Jack Baird and in particular, young Lewis Morgan (a lad I personally remarked about last season when I saw him that he'd need to fill out) all look bulkier and stronger than a few months back.

It was indeed a great header. At the time I thought it was a great save - clearly it WAS just not by the keeper.

Also thought 2 of our 3 disallowed goals looked perfectly good.

Naismith in the first half I think started his run from 3-4 yards behind the defender.

Decent performance, but as you say, very hard to gauge given the quality of the opposition.

Thought Rangers and Hibs looked miles ahead of us sadly.

It was indeed a great header. At the time I thought it was a great save - clearly it WAS just not by the keeper.

Also thought 2 of our 3 disallowed goals looked perfectly good.

Naismith in the first half I think started his run from 3-4 yards behind the defender.

Decent performance, but as you say, very hard to gauge given the quality of the opposition.

Thought Rangers and Hibs looked miles ahead of us sadly.

Some lad on BAWA claiming it wasn't a penalty as Cameron's hand was in a 'natural position' :lol:

Interesting that you think we weren't up to much. For the first half in particular we were the better side in my opinion and you struggled to cope with us on the counter. While you'd had more possession, the bulk of what you did with it was pretty much ineffective.

I actually said at half time that I really didn't fancy your chances in the championship this season, especially after seeing Hibs V Rangers prior to the match.

To your credit though, you all looked much improved second half and from the second goal onwards (Remembering we were denied a stonewaller about thirty seconds before you broke up the other end and netted), it was very much plain sailing for the Saints as both the quality and the fitness began to show - and indeed it probably could and should have been more.

Perhaps it's just the bias we see through our black and gold or black and white tinted specs. Nice little set up at St Mirren. First time I've seen us play your mob. Enjoyed the day out - The Angel was a decent boozer and the ground, for all you can bang on about lego is pretty decent. Surprised Saints fans didn't make much noise, nor bite to many of our several shite drink-fuelled wind ups, but I think in the end that you'll be alright this year.

Agnew is a class act btw. Love that chap. Good luck for the season

Interesting that you think we weren't up to much. For the first half in particular we were the better side in my opinion and you struggled to cope with us on the counter. While you'd had more possession, the bulk of what you did with it was pretty much ineffective.

I actually said at half time that I really didn't fancy your chances in the championship this season, especially after seeing Hibs V Rangers prior to the match.

To your credit though, you all looked much improved second half and from the second goal onwards (Remembering we were denied a stonewaller about thirty seconds before you broke up the other end and netted), it was very much plain sailing for the Saints as both the quality and the fitness began to show - and indeed it probably could and should have been more.

Perhaps it's just the bias we see through our black and gold or black and white tinted specs. Nice little set up at St Mirren. First time I've seen us play your mob. Enjoyed the day out - The Angel was a decent boozer and the ground, for all you can bang on about lego is pretty decent. Surprised Saints fans didn't make much noise, nor bite to many of our several shite drink-fuelled wind ups, but I think in the end that you'll be alright this year.

I thought you guys looked good in the first half, as you say. Some really nice link up football on the go, and probably the nicest football I've seen from a team at that level for a while. If you keep that kind of form up, you'll have a good season.

Black/White or Black/Gold tinted indeed. It looked like a complete swan dive from my POV. I thought our penalty was really soft as well but the one Berwick claimed for? I expected the boy to be booked for simulation.

I certainly don't recall any point either outwith the first 10 or 15 minutes where Berwick were the better side and this reflected in the lack of anxiety within our crowd. No-one felt that we were ever in any danger and both your number 10 and number 7 were too busy running into each other - literally - to be effective. The wee number 8 (dive aside ;)) looks tidy though and the big number 9 with the daft haircut looked like he'll cause teams problems.

We're still another 5 players away from where we want to be in 2 weeks, so I reckon we'll be fine. Good luck to you lads as well.

Surely it would have been beneficial for him from a negotiating point of view? Ifs buts and maybes I know, but if he hadn't sued I reckon the board would have been prepared to let him go for a bit less, and could be just doing a massive FU to him now. Far fetched, but you never know how things went on behind the scenes.

I don't think so to be honest. Nobody would pay McLean's fee last year and he came back to us, leaving for the compensation amount when Aberdeen offered it (or that's how it supposedly went!). Plus any claim from McGinn is likely to be small beer compared to the compensation money anyway.

I suspect the fact he's unsigned means teams are not exactly clambering to pay the asking fee.

Some lad on BAWA claiming it wasn't a penalty as Cameron's hand was in a 'natural position' :lol:

You know I kind of understand the line of argument as his hand technically doesn't move so you could say ball to hand. However although many defenders do it I'd say hand on post at that height is an unnatural position thus should have been a penalty and red card.

As for Berwick's penalty 'claim'. As far as I saw one of our players (Baird?) slid in, took the ball which changed direction and went over towards the corner flag. As he was still sliding about a second later the Berwick player takes an exaggerated fall over the defender's leg. Was that really what they were appealing for?

Can't say I'm overly enamoured with clangers tbh.

He is a great back up to have at this level. Will provide competition for Ridgers and kills two birds with the one stone if he is the goalkeeping coach too.

Has a bad reputation because he has thrown a few in the net but you don't have the highest clean sheets in the top league if you are a diddy.

Saw a stat of over 100 clean sheets in over 300 games for the dons which is outstanding, he gets a bad rep off Aberdeen fans for no reason in my opinion, would be a great signing at this level and I'd start him instead of ridgers

I discussed Langfield with my Dons supporting colleague earlier. I think it is fair to say the club's supporters are jaundiced towards him following a spat between the keeper and Tangoman, when Calderwood refused to sanction Langfield moving to Ibrox.

Aside from that, I also think he is remembered for a few high profile howlers. That's often the way of it for keepers. They are the last line, so their mistakes can be disproportionately highlighted. According to the Dons fan, he is a solid enough keeper about 80% of the time. As I pointed out, say that about a striker/midfielder/or even a defender, and it suggests that you have a decent player.

He's got a bad rep because he's prone to howlers, clean sheets aren't just down the keeper either.

But in saying all that I'd probably still start him ahead of Ridgers as well!

Yeah thats true bud but it wasn't so long ago Aberdeen finished below us in the league, they had a few spells in the bottom 6.

For the money we'll be paying I don't think we can do much better than Langfield.

He has had a few howlers over the years, probably why he hasn't been involved with too many Scotland squads. Always seemed to play well against us.

Yeah can't remember a "clanger" against us really. Think the fact he had a few in high profile games and the rangers issue did lead to a souring of the relationship with the sheep.

But like I said as much as I've had a moan he should/could more than do a job at this level and we needed a coach as well. Never really thought of it like that but I suppose we are in effect saving a wage.

Archived