St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dundee Utd in for McGinn apparently. Willing to offer 170k plus some loans.

Scout report? I saw almost nothing of St Mirren last season. Did he reject a new contract from you guys?

Who was the big lad at centre half against us on Saturday? He looked a fairly solid unit. Definitely could body Championship strikers IMO.

Scout report? I saw almost nothing of St Mirren last season. Did he reject a new contract from you guys?

Aye. Doesn't want to play in the Championship and relationships have allegedly deteriorated after speargate. £270,000 is a good price especially when you have loads of money. Go for it :)

Who was the big lad at centre half against us on Saturday? He looked a fairly solid unit. Definitely could body Championship strikers IMO.

Looked the part appartently but we are passing on big Mads. Some concerns about his fitness....

He had a poor season, but so did everyone but Kenny.

There is currently some revisionism taking place on B&WA: the usual I never fancied her anyway kinda pish. But he's a good player. Scotland under-21 captain, tidy on the ball, strong, skilful. He's clearly not at the level yet where he can carry a shit team, but he would thrive with better players around him.

Dundee United would be a good fit for him, I think, and I'd be happy enough to see him go there even before you take the fee into account.

He's an old fashioned Scottish combative midfielder, isn't scared of a tackle and is pretty skilful as well.

Fans favourite when he's on form but was awful last season.

His lack of goals is probably what'll ensure he has a decent career as opposed to a great one.

what position does John McGinn play?

Central midfield. When at his best his all round game is a joy to watch. Breaks up play, great turn of pace and has an eye for a pass. Didn't reach the heights at all last season, went missing far too often. Played in such a poor squad last season though.

Central midfield. When at his best his all round game is a joy to watch. Breaks up play, great turn of pace and has an eye for a pass. Didn't reach the heights at all last season, went missing far too often. Played in such a poor squad last season though.

McGinn has a lot of good qualities but pace definitely isn't one of them, he's pretty slow. His decision making was awful last season, he constantly ran into players or played through balls far too early. He should be a good signing for United if he can get his confidence/composure back but I don't think he's as good a prospect as we once thought and you have to question his attitude.

McGinn has a lot of good qualities but pace definitely isn't one of them, he's pretty slow. His decision making was awful last season, he constantly ran into players or played through balls far too early. He should be a good signing for United if he can get his confidence/composure back but I don't he's as good a prospect as we once thought.

I didn't really mean he was a fast runner with the ball, more his quick change of direction with it. He often spun away from a challenge and his quick feet could find him a yard of space to drive into. I agree that we didn't see much at all last season though. Quite the opposite of Wylde who had lightening pace, but not at all skillful and couldn't beat his man.

Aye, the "wanyama game" was a good while ago now and it's pretty hard to say McGinn has improved since then.

He had a great spell the season before last after he scored at Tynecastle, but last season he was dreadful pretty much every game I saw, which is perhaps understandable.

Be happy enough to see him an United and not just cause we'd get some cash. Hopefully a good place for him to get his mojo back and kick on.

McGinn has a lot of good qualities but pace definitely isn't one of them, he's pretty slow. His decision making was awful last season, he constantly ran into players or played through balls far too early. He should be a good signing for United if he can get his confidence/composure back but I don't think he's as good a prospect as we once thought and you have to question his attitude.

This. He struggled when the opposition figured out his turn as well. He really needs to be chipping in with more assists and goals if he is to thrive at a 'higher' level.

hopefully United sign him

Hopefully you do. He's no good to us anymore and is too talented to be kicking his heels without a club. United would be a very good fit for a player like McGinn, certainly better than Dundee.

Plus if we could have Blair Spittal on loan for a season as a makeweight, that would be pretty good as well.

I just want it concluded one way or another. Ideally, we get the development fee we are entitled to, but it is clear he won't play for St Mirren again, nor does he want to, so we need to move on (as does McGinn).

A player with huge potential, but has some lost ground to make up.

Archived