St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

Ah, bollocks.

I don't think that is all that bad an idea. Kelly played better at centre half last season and along side Baird they looked a fairly decent partnership. Even during the 3-0 game at Firhill I thought they looked relatively good. At the 5-0 game at Fir Park, even though we were horrendous as a team, Kelly had a particularly horrible game that night at left back. That being said he wasn't helped by whoever was playing left wing that night. I think Kelly is a good player and I think he will prove to be a good centre half.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that is all that bad an idea. Kelly played better at centre half last season and along side Baird they looked a fairly decent partnership. Even during the 3-0 game at Firhill I thought they looked relatively good. At the 5-0 game at Fir Park, even though we were horrendous as a team, Kelly had a particularly horrible game that night at left back. That being said he wasn't helped by whoever was playing left wing that night. I think Kelly is a good player and I think he will prove to be a good centre half.

Wylde

Kelly and Baird were our best centre-half pairing last season by quite some distance, the former having the best time of it after a bit of nightmare most of the season playing left back and left mid. That being said, I desperately want another one, preferably two in. A lot of players this season will likely be required to be adaptable in where they can play to cover injuries and suspensions and Sean Kelly is no different. If we have to shift him onto a flank, I'd be desperate to see Jim Goodwin not going back there.

Rumour is Thompson has signed and announcement will be tomorrow. If he stays fit he will get double figures next season.

I don't think we should be making predictions like that. I'd be concerned if he is our first choice striker going by his performances last season, he would be a good option off the bench though.

Kelly and Baird were our best centre-half pairing last season by quite some distance, the former having the best time of it after a bit of nightmare most of the season playing left back and left mid. That being said, I desperately want another one, preferably two in. A lot of players this season will likely be required to be adaptable in where they can play to cover injuries and suspensions and Sean Kelly is no different. If we have to shift him onto a flank, I'd be desperate to see Jim Goodwin not going back there.

I agree with this. I think Jim would boss most Championship games in the middle of the park and give Mallan pretty of freedom to attack.

I don't think we should be making predictions like that. I'd be concerned if he is our first choice striker going by his performances last season, he would be a good option off the bench though.

He clearly wasn't fit for most of the season.

When he did get some fitness towards the end of the season he played well and scored 4 goals in our final 11 league games along with being involved in several more.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that if he can be fit for a whole season at a lower level he will reach double figures.

He clearly wasn't fit for most of the season.

When he did get some fitness towards the end of the season he played well and scored 4 goals in our final 11 league games along with being involved in several more.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that if he can be fit for a whole season at a lower level he will reach double figures.

He was still very poor in a good number of those games and 3 of the 4 goals were penalties. I doubt he'll stay fit for the whole season anyway so I hope we get someone better in.

He was still very poor in a good number of those games and 3 of the 4 goals were penalties. I doubt he'll stay fit for the whole season anyway so I hope we get someone better in.

This. If Thompson is our main man up top for the season I'd be very concerned. I doubt Murray will be planning this anyway so it's a moot point.

Penalties count as goals too, and I assume he will remain our penalty taker next season.

If we do sign Thommo I doubt we will bring in another out and out striker. Doubt we could afford more than two senior forwards.

We will have him, Gow and probably at least one of Reilly and Sadlier along with the youngsters Morgan and McLear.

Yeah we should be building the team around Mallan next season, he's a real quality player. Agnew should be a good squad player and hopefully he chips in with a few goals.

Rumour is Thompson has signed and announcement will be tomorrow. If he stays fit he will get double figures next season.

Even if McGinn leaves we will have a decent experienced base to the squad for Murray to build on before the end of August.

While I share your belief we will have a decent experienced squad by August we only have 11 confirmed signings at the moment as we let 13 players leave. So plenty of room for experienced bodies and some more potential in the team. I hope we sign Sadlier but I would let Reilly go as he has shown little since his first team debut 4 years ago to convince me he will ever make an impact.

3-5-2 seems to be a very fashionable formation just now. We used it years back when we had Jack Ross and Franco Miranda as our wingbacks and it worked well.

It won't work with Naismith and Kelly though.

Kelly is playing centre half this season, Ian murray has said so.

Murray is looking to bring in another striker and from what I've heard 1 could be joining next week.

We will have him, Gow and probably at least one of Reilly and Sadlier along with the youngsters Morgan and McLear.

Crucially, none of whom are out-and-out centre forwards and indeed contributed a combined total of 1 goal between them last season.

You're almost certainly wrong about this Lex. Murray is on record stating he needs around 8 or 9 new faces in. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say Gow is one and not simply a contract renewal, then Agnew is the second. Even if McGinn does opt to go, the central midfield berths are more or less taken with Mallan, Goodwin, Agnew, Gow and McLear vying for two or three places.

Where would you suggest the other 6 or 7 bodies would be signed for? A goalie and centre half, possibly two are dead certs. A couple of wide players possibly who can double up as full backs. You don't honestly think another centre forward will come in?! I'm going to go on a limb and say there will be absolutely another one forward in, maybe even two. Tommy Craig's tactic of relying solely on Thompson last season wrecked him before a ball was even kicked. Murray simply won't make that mistake.

Crucially, none of whom are out-and-out centre forwards and indeed contributed a combined total of 1 goal between them last season.

You're almost certainly wrong about this Lex. Murray is on record stating he needs around 8 or 9 new faces in. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say Gow is one and not simply a contract renewal, then Agnew is the second. Even if McGinn does opt to go, the central midfield berths are more or less taken with Mallan, Goodwin, Agnew, Gow and McLear vying for two or three places.

Where would you suggest the other 6 or 7 bodies would be signed for? A goalie and centre half, possibly two are dead certs. A couple of wide players possibly who can double up as full backs. You don't honestly think another centre forward will come in?! I'm going to go on a limb and say there will be absolutely another one forward in, maybe even two. Tommy Craig's tactic of relying solely on Thompson last season wrecked him before a ball was even kicked. Murray simply won't make that mistake.

I would say Gow (who I would have released) is primarily a forward who can operate in the midfield. Reilly and Sadlier have both played up front for us and Morgan played successfully upfront for the u20's last season.

If both are fit I fully expect our starting strike force next season to be Thompson and Gow.

I imagine if Thompson signs Murray's priorities will be to bring in at least 1 centre half, a left back, a right back, a goalie and right sided and left sided attacking players. If he signs all them that will be 8 signed since he said he needed 8.

If he does bring another forward i certainly don't think it will be a 'name'. Some of our more out of touch fans were linking us with Clarkson for example, not surprisingly he signed for Motherwell today. We simply aren't operating in a market where we can afford three forwards on senior player wages. An unproven kid on loan from Celtic or something is a possibility.

If he does bring another forward i certainly don't think it will be a 'name'. Some of our more out of touch fans were linking us with Clarkson for example, not surprisingly he signed for Motherwell today. We simply aren't operating in a market where we can afford three forwards on senior player wages. An unproven kid on loan from Celtic or something is a possibility.

Wait so Motherwell have effectively swapped Sutton for Clarkson??

333.gif

They must finally be tightening their belt.

I reckon there will be deals attached to Celtic with them using our stadum for pre season kick abouts.

Wee bit of fun/boredom here. Will have a look at possible line ups/formations just now.

--------------------------------Ridgers----------------------------

------------Baird-------------Goodwin----------Kelly-------------------

----Naismith-------------------------------------------------?-----------

----------------Mallan----------Agnew-----------?---------------------

--------------------Thompson-------------Gow-------------------------

The perversed side of me would love to see Goodwin used in a Tommy Turner style sweeper role. Don't think he has the legs for midfield or the normal centre back role.

Going 4-2-3-1 now

---------------------------------Ridgers--------------------------------------

--------Naismith----------Baird-------------Kelly-------------------?-------

---------------------Mallan-----------------Goodwin----------------------

-------?-------------------------Gow-----------------------Agnew-------------

----------------------------Thompson----------------------------------------

Left back and centre mid is glaring for me. McLear and Morgan can play wide right and left, don't think they will be regular starters but both can contribute. Would think we need another striker incase Thommo breaks down again, doubt he'll manage 90 minutes a week for 40+ games.

12 months ago folk were saying there was no need to sign any more strikers because we had Thompson. This was when there were fanciful rumours about Higdon. Look how that turned out. Move forward a year, replace the name Higdon with Clarkson...

There is absolutely no way we won't sign another striker. Whether it's one of the loan players or a more experienced player is up for debate but there isn't a hope in hell we won't sign another forward. Thompson is the only out and out striker. Gow is an attacking midfielder, ditto Sadlier (who doesn't have a contract) and Morgan seems to be more of a winger. They may be able to play up front but they aren't strikers.

Relying on Thompson as the only proper striker would be utter madness - and if our plan for the season is to go with a pairing of him and Gow then god help us all.

If both are fit I fully expect our starting strike force next season to be Thompson and Gow.

Reminds me of the days we had Jim Hamilton and Dennis Wyness up front, possibly the slowest strike force in football at that time.

We need another striker in at least, and someone who is better than Gow. I wouldn't have Gow as a striker - he'd be even more useless there. If Gow is in the team I'd expect him to play off the striker, if he was in central midfield the game would pass him by don't think I've ever seen him put in a challenge. Simply, Gow should be an option on the bench.

Reilly is too lightweight for playing up front and Sadlier is better suited to a role similar to Gow's or out wide. I'd even have Agnew as a similar player to Gow and Sadlier. Murray fucked it signing Gow.

I think Murray was developing Agnew into a more defensive midfielder. He's never been the quickest but has found a but if dig in the middle. He's got a great set piece delivery.

Edited to add, there's noway he'll play off the front

Archived