St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

It'll never catch on. <_<

Ach you know what its like.

Players are just returning from their holidays and some are still contracted till the end of the month. You don't really know who is going to be available. We will be getting the scraps from the Premiership + Hibs and Rangers. Even signing part time players will be tough if they have a good job out with football we need to convince them to play full time maybe on lesser wages!

I'm pretty sure Brian Caldwell and the manager would like all their targets signed up as quickly as possible but sadly it doesn't happen like that. Even when we were in the top league players would hold out for more money and a bigger club coming in for them.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's many other players who've left us you'd want to be honest. Mark Wilson still doesn't have a club and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him join up with Murray. He was pretty dreadful with us.

Could do with an experienced back up to Jason Naismith. The boy has been playing non stop for 2 seasons now, has looked fatigued a lot of the time.

I thought it was common knowledge that Wilson was pretty much finished when he left United though, their fans seemed to think that anyway.

Could do with an experienced back up to Jason Naismith. The boy has been playing non stop for 2 seasons now, has looked fatigued a lot of the time.

I thought it was common knowledge that Wilson was pretty much finished when he left United though, their fans seemed to think that anyway.

He is completely finished. Maybe as back up with a coaching role he might be an asset but he's certainly not good enough to be a starter with any team in the league.

Shaun Rooney from Queen's Park was being rumoured. He's a rightback so it would be competition/back-up for Naismith - although definitely not experienced.

I quite like Ridgers. He needs to command his area more, but he's still relatively young.

And he's probably cheap so no bad thing.

Will he bring in a back up keep or someone to challenge him. Or will he give the youth keeper the place on the bench

Will he bring in a back up keep or someone to challenge him. Or will he give the youth keeper the place on the bench

He's said he's looking for an experienced keeper to also act as goalie coach. Mark Brown was rumoured before he went to Dumbarton, Jamie Langfield's name has now come round again because he's from Paisley although I'm sure he's under contract for another year.

Murray said he's looking for eight or nine signings, of which Agnew is the first. Dunno if that includes Thompson but we definitely need a goalie, a centre-half, a leftback as Kelly is being used in the middle and a couple of strikers. Rest is up for debate.

Decent wee midfield we have now. Didn't think we'd be needing to find a keeper but there we are!

You'd guess Agnew and Mallan would be direct rivals for the same position with Goodwin along side one of them? That leaves McLear for one of the wide spots if we're taking a punt of him. Agree we need someone to backup Naismith. Would like two centre halves coming in, with Kelly playing at left back and covering at centre back when needed.

Decent wee midfield we have now. Didn't think we'd be needing to find a keeper but there we are!

You'd guess Agnew and Mallan would be direct rivals for the same position with Goodwin along side one of them? That leaves McLear for one of the wide spots if we're taking a punt of him. Agree we need someone to backup Naismith. Would like two centre halves coming in, with Kelly playing at left back and covering at centre back when needed.

Why halt the progress of Mallan for Agnew, seems stupid to me. If anything I'd say it's Gow and Agnew who should be competing for the spot just off Thompson if that is how we are going to line-up. Hopefully Murray signs Sadlier for out wide, I think he'd be a great option for us. Don't really see where Reilly is going to fit in now which is a shame as he showed promise towards the end of last season, maybe too little too late.

First decent bit of business by Murray in getting Thompson signed for next season although we do need one or two other options up front.

Yeah we should be building the team around Mallan next season, he's a real quality player. Agnew should be a good squad player and hopefully he chips in with a few goals.

Rumour is Thompson has signed and announcement will be tomorrow. If he stays fit he will get double figures next season.

Even if McGinn leaves we will have a decent experienced base to the squad for Murray to build on before the end of August.

Don't be surprised to see a 3-5-2 formation that in corporates both Mallan and Agnew into the same midfield. Murray and Spalding loved that formation last year, for f**k knows what reason.

3-5-2 seems to be a very fashionable formation just now. We used it years back when we had Jack Ross and Franco Miranda as our wingbacks and it worked well.

It won't work with Naismith and Kelly though.

3-5-2 seems to be a very fashionable formation just now. We used it years back when we had Jack Ross and Franco Miranda as our wingbacks and it worked well.

It won't work with Naismith and Kelly though.

Yeah, it's good if you've got the players for it. For too long last year though he persisted with it in the hope it would make us hard to beat. We were fairly easy to beat.

Shaun Rooney from Queen's Park was being rumoured. He's a rightback so it would be competition/back-up for Naismith - although definitely not experienced.

Ah well that didn't hinder Andrew Robertson ha

Kelly will be playing centre half, presumably with Baird. Goodwin can cover at centre half, we'll maybe sign 1 centre half I'd have thought. Defo need a left back, maybe sign someone else who can play a few positions, like Alan Reid or David Barron. Our squad isn't going to be that big, it is already filling up with a few young players. Makes the signing of Gow a bit baffling, have to trust Murray though.

Ideally it would be great to have 2 players per position but we didn't even have that with a bigger budget in the Prem.

Ah well that didn't hinder Andrew Robertson ha

Kelly will be playing centre half, presumably with Baird. Goodwin can cover at centre half, we'll maybe sign 1 centre half I'd have thought. Defo need a left back, maybe sign someone else who can play a few positions, like Alan Reid or David Barron. Our squad isn't going to be that big, it is already filling up with a few young players. Makes the signing of Gow a bit baffling, have to trust Murray though.

Ideally it would be great to have 2 players per position but we didn't even have that with a bigger budget in the Prem.

Forgot about Baird. Don't think Kelly would be an ideal first choice, we saw with Rangers what can happen with a makeshift defence at this level. I see your line of thinking though, i.e. utilise players that can play elsewhere. So in that case definitely another centre half...

Bilel Moshni it is!!!

Kelly will be playing CH next season, according to the manager.

Archived