St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

We'd hardly be missing out on a world beater. Despite our thin squad central midfield isn't a pressing concern and I wouldn't have him in front of Mallan or Goodwin. Even though it is unlikely that he'll stay, I'd much rather our efforts went into trying to get John McGinn to stay for another instead of a 28 year old who has been kicking around the lower leagues all his days.

He's a Dumbarton fan. He'd rather he didn't go to a team who will be our direct rivals in avoiding the drop.

I also heard the ridiculous Alloa offer was being considered. The figure quoted was also very similar to what Moonster is saying. Ludicrous if true.

Are Championship wages seriously only around £600 a week? :unsure2: I had no idea. No wonder some part-time players earn more.

I'm only guessing here, maybe between £150-250 a week?

Wages will maybe have been inflated given the teams in the league last season and this season.

Will be totally wrong no doubt.

Wages will maybe have been inflated given the teams in the league last season and this season.

Again from what I've heard, we'd offered Agnew £400 a week which would've made him our top earner. Most others will be on anything from £200-300.

Again from what I've heard, we'd offered Agnew £400 a week which would've made him our top earner. Most others will be on anything from £200-300.

Decent wage, great if you have another job on top of that.

It's a privilege for these guys to be getting paid money to play football but for most it's not exactly life changing sums.

When we were last in this division a few of our first team players had other jobs , and we were full time!

You can't really begrudge a player a big move to the Old Firm or down South when you think about it. That is life changing money.

I'd love £500 a week but over a 10-15 year career you won't be able to retire on that , obviously.

I did say that it could have been shite. Although, if it is a load of shite, that comes down to Agnew.

If it's right enough, based on 24 home games (generous) and at an average gate price of £12 to factor in season tickets and concessions, it'd take 108 people through the gate at every home game just to pay that one wage. Last time Alloa paid daft money they ended up nearly broke and in Division 3.

One 'full timer' with a leading Championship club, a young lad but first team squad member, was last season getting £400 per month. He's now on improved terms but nothing like £600 a week.

Part-time teams should be paying absolutely no one anywhere near that amount.

Sorry, that wasn't my point. My point is, if you have a decent daytime salary, then there's no way you could afford to ditch the day job plus the wee bit extra you might get from your team. People were bumping their gums on B&WA (now there's a surprise) about the fact that Ian Murray said Saints couldn't afford to sign some of Dumbarton's players - now I can see what he means.

I'm just shocked to learn how small a full-time player's wage might be in the Championship.

Sorry, that wasn't my point. My point is, if you have a decent daytime salary, then there's no way you could afford to ditch the day job plus the wee bit extra you might get from your team. People were bumping their gums on B&WA (now there's a surprise) about the fact that Ian Murray said Saints couldn't afford to sign some of Dumbarton's players - now I can see what he means.

I'm just shocked to learn how small a full-time player's wage might be in the Championship.

I'm sure Falkirk had a wage cap of £500pw a few seasons ago. Last time we were in this division Craig Hinchcliffe was also a pipe fitter (as well as permanently off his line) and didn't want to make the step up to the SPL as he'd be losing money.

Hopefully the redistribution of prize money will go someway to bridge the financial gap between the leagues. The money for winning the league previously was a pittance!

There have been at least two cases in the last few seasons of Morton offering players £350 PW full-time while Dumbarton have offered £300 PW part-time. You'll be shocked to learn that both have taken Dumbarton's offer. I'd be surprised if there's not far more than those two. Outwith Hibs, Rangers and probably yourselves, there'll be very few players on more than £500 a week in this division.

I'm sure Falkirk had a wage cap of £500pw a few seasons ago. Last time we were in this division Craig Hinchcliffe was also a pipe fitter (as well as permanently off his line) and didn't want to make the step up to the SPL as he'd be losing money.

Hopefully the redistribution of prize money will go someway to bridge the financial gap between the leagues. The money for winning the league previously was a pittance!

Last time Ian Maxwell also hard a job as a surveyor or architect or some such. Think he trained full-time but still had a job on top of that.

Dunno what we'll be offering. Something rings a bell that last time the top wage was either £400 or £600 a week however I remember overhearing a well connected journalist saying Sutton was on £800 a week.

Cheers for the info. It's interesting stuff.

Mordecai - I'd forgotten about Hinchcliffe. I guess GK is the one position where, in this day and age, you could just about make a case for having a PT player in amongst a full time squad.

There have been at least two cases in the last few seasons of Morton offering players £350 PW full-time while Dumbarton have offered £300 PW part-time. You'll be shocked to learn that both have taken Dumbarton's offer. I'd be surprised if there's not far more than those two. Outwith Hibs, Rangers and probably yourselves, there'll be very few players on more than £500 a week in this division.

Kevin Cawley apparently knocked back Queens to sign with us last week too. It can work for you and against you though, some players are intent on playing full-time i.e. Mikey Miller signing for you guys last year even though we'd offered more. But I agree there's probably more folk choosing the good part-time wage over the decent full-time wage.

Last time Ian Maxwell also hard a job as a surveyor or architect or some such. Think he trained full-time but still had a job on top of that.

Dunno what we'll be offering. Something rings a bell that last time the top wage was either £400 or £600 a week however I remember overhearing a well connected journalist saying Sutton was on £800 a week.

Ian Maxwell had a Civil Engineering degree and yeah was working as well as training.

I'd suggest our top wage limit would be £800-£1K bracket at this level. Wasn't our top Prem wage £2K with a 50% clause on relegation?

£600 a week, same terms as they had Chopra on last year. We can't compete with that nor is Agnew worth that. Might be a load of shite but it's what I've been told. I'd also rather he went to St Mirren.

Aye I wouldn't like us to spend that wage on one player, easily get two good players in for that. Also hope he goes to St mirren.

Why?

We'd hardly be missing out on a world beater. Despite our thin squad central midfield isn't a pressing concern and I wouldn't have him in front of Mallan or Goodwin. Even though it is unlikely that he'll stay, I'd much rather our efforts went into trying to get John McGinn to stay for another instead of a 28 year old who has been kicking around the lower leagues all his days.

I was meaning for my own benefit Id rather he went to St mirren as we are more likely to be battling with alloa to avoid relegation whereas St mirren would surely be near the top..

Archived