St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

Thomas Reilly has popped up for us tonight, what can you boys tell us about him?

Was a pretty hot prospect at schoolboy level, but gradually his career seems to have gone downhill.

He hasn't really got a defined position. Even after al the years with us, I'm not really sure whether he's a forward or a midfielder. Maybe somewhere in between?

Anyway, most people couldn't understand why he got an extended run last season as he was pretty ineffective.

Would be good to see him kick start his career, but I'm not convinced that's going to happen.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomas Reilly has popped up for us tonight, what can you boys tell us about him?

A player who has no position. Played everywhere in midfield and played as a striker during his time with us and never impressed. Was on trial with us due to being out of contract as Murray wanted a look at him. Decided to let him go yesterday.

As I've just said to a Falkirk supporting mate of mine:

He's been chucked out on his arse from us, which I don't think was the right thing to do. He's a funny one, was always on the bench and made the odd cameo appearance, when it was obvious that he should've been sent out on loan. He wasn't though and never properly broke through to the first team. Most people think he's shite and I used to agree, but he bulked up a bit last season and was beginning to come onto a game. He hit the bar from about 45 yards against Celtic, which is my main memory of him.

Forward

We are looking at him for our development team

I might be in the minority but I think all he needs is a fresh start at a decent club and he could kick start his career. Should have made the breakthrough but it just never happened for him.

He could definitely do a job for a club at this level.

The guy lost two years due to injury and last year due to tommy craig. Boy has talent (good touch, eye for a pass, a wee trick or two, works hard never hides). But does not seem to do it when he steps up to the big team. Hope he comes good.

I think the main problem is we kept him on a bench and playing reserve team football for years and he played about 5 different roles.

We should have loaned him out to a L1 or L2 club for experience and built him up a bit. Instead he drifted along in a comfort zone as a squad member.

Maybe this will kick him on, but don't think we used him all that well. Maybe a change of scene will do him good. I guess his career with us is summed up by his last game, 10 yards out, clear scoring chance and he stood on the ball and fell over.

Before his injury he played in the Gowser role just behind the main striker. I don't think he has ever played there for the big team. He is a decent finisher and links up play well. Not sure why he never got a chance there when a played every other position

Hopefully for his sake. He's been hovering at 'almost good enough' for years now. We should have loaned him out to League 1 or the Championship sides years ago to try and get him some regular first team football and maybe find his position but we've never bothered. Currently, I don't think he'll cut it at this level but I reckon in a year or two he'll come on and we'll regret letting him go. Frankly, we've wasted him and I reckon he'll do a decent job at another club. Maybe not this season but later.

Anyone seen the team lines for our friendly today?

Some big names in amongst them. And by big I mean good scrabble scores. There's a guy called Nahoonoy on the bench. Tried Google for some of them and there's nothing even shows up.

Some big names in amongst them. And by big I mean good scrabble scores. There's a guy called Nahoonoy on the bench. Tried Google for some of them and there's nothing even shows up.

Seems to be a lot of players from non-league English clubs and some random unknown foreign players. I don't really get the point of playing them all at once. Surely we should be looking at how they can work in the team/tactics we have, rather than shoving a large group of strangers on the field?

Archived