St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

It looks like he's going to sit out pre season and take his chances on another club paying the development fee. A dangerous game as Ian Murray said yesterday on radio.

You'd think someone in his family might have a word with the lad. Obviously, it would ideally be someone with a bit of knowledge as to how the game works, but even a concerned parent or grandparent would be a start.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd think someone in his family might have a word with the lad. Obviously, it would ideally be someone with a bit of knowledge as to how the game works, but even a concerned parent or grandparent would be a start.

You'd think he might look at McLean as an example - sign a 1 year deal with a gentleman's agreement, play out your skin, then get your move in January. I still think that's what will happen.

Can't help but think he's being daft here.

Does he have any grandparents who have any background in Scottish football? Can't recall it being mentioned in the media.

As I said earlier in the thread, the concept of folk being pissed off at McGinn for doing what he had every right to do was idiocy.

However, depriving yourself of a proper, structured pre-season and taking a chance that someone *might* come in for you and be willing to pay a middling six-figure sum off the back of an absolute shite season, effectively blocking yourself from playing the sport is - as Murray correctly says - dangerous. He's a talented kid and despite having a torturous season, could and probably will still go on and make a good career for himself. I'm sure St. Mirren would afford John the facilities to train pre-season whether he re-signed or not on an interim basis, simply because it's in our best interests to have him at peak fitness one way or another.

An absolutely stupid move from young McGinn if this is true. I dare say not many 20 year old footballers who are fit and able to train can afford to miss pre-season. Such a shame that it appears another talented young footballer would rather be billy big baws than knuckle down, use his talent and make the most of his career.

This isn't bitterness at all and in fact it would now probably be better for both parties if he did move on to pastures new. However, if he doesn't come in and stick in a pre-season, everyone is losing. We still hold the cards with him as long as the deal is there on the table but in all honesty who is going to shell out nearly £300k for a lad who is displaying such a poor level of professionalism?

Antoine-Curier and Vigurs are the new names floating about the speculation thread on B&WA but I think it's just people suggesting players who are out of contract. Would be happy with them though.

David Barron having a trial with us apparently.

That seems a ludicrous decision from McGinn.

As Chappers says, surely he's better off training with us until he gets an offer?

Unless the issue with his injury has soured relations somewhat, but I see no reason it should.

As I said earlier in the thread, the concept of folk being pissed off at McGinn for doing what he had every right to do was idiocy.

However, depriving yourself of a proper, structured pre-season and taking a chance that someone *might* come in for you and be willing to pay a middling six-figure sum off the back of an absolute shite season, effectively blocking yourself from playing the sport is - as Murray correctly says - dangerous. He's a talented kid and despite having a torturous season, could and probably will still go on and make a good career for himself. I'm sure St. Mirren would afford John the facilities to train pre-season whether he re-signed or not on an interim basis, simply because it's in our best interests to have him at peak fitness one way or another.

An absolutely stupid move from young McGinn if this is true. I dare say not many 20 year old footballers who are fit and able to train can afford to miss pre-season. Such a shame that it appears another talented young footballer would rather be billy big baws than knuckle down, use his talent and make the most of his career.

This isn't bitterness at all and in fact it would now probably be better for both parties if he did move on to pastures new. However, if he doesn't come in and stick in a pre-season, everyone is losing. We still hold the cards with him as long as the deal is there on the table but in all honesty who is going to shell out nearly £300k for a lad who is displaying such a poor level of professionalism?

To be honest, i think John has been led down the wrong path by his agent. Since coming in to the the first team at the age of 17, he has shown extreme maturity for his age and has looked the model pro for the rest of the academy players to use as an example. This is why i feel he has taken advice from someone, or has been duped into making the decsion not to return for pre-season, in hope it will push through a transfer.

I had heard as far back as last September that his intent was always to move on at the end of the season, though who knows if everything with the current pre-season situation could have been different if he wasn't involved in the training ground incident with Thommohawk.

To be honest, i think John has been led down the wrong path by his agent. Since coming in to the the first team at the age of 17, he has shown extreme maturity for his age and has looked the model pro for the rest of the academy players to use as an example. This is why i feel he has taken advice from someone, or has been duped into making the decsion not to return for pre-season, in hope it will push through a transfer.

I had heard as far back as last September that his intent was always to move on at the end of the season, though who knows if everything with the current pre-season situation could have been different if he wasn't involved in the training ground incident with Thommohawk.

Under normal circumstances, this would be fine. Don't show up for pre-season? Fine, the club will either sell you on or release you. Unfortunately for young John, (and us if no-one wants him) this is a more unique situation in that there is already a set fee in place and isn't really something that will be negotiated on. The club - rightly - will stick to their guns in terms of what they're due for development and shouldn't budge on it, it would be an act of utter weakness if they did.

He could always sign for someone else I suppose and the buying club pay whatever they feel he's worth but this will likely end up in a tribunal situation and as we saw last season with Charlie Telfer, the judiciary will generally fall on the side of the club who developed the player.

The Sun has you signing Stuart Carswell today.

Always impressed me at Motherwell, although I think he's had injury problems lately.

Could be a very good signing.

The Sun has you signing Stuart Carswell today.

Always impressed me at Motherwell, although I think he's had injury problems lately.

Could be a very good signing.

Aye the injuries and the fact he's another young guy is my main issue. Could be a good signing but we could do with a few more guys in their late 20s to add experience.

Good luck with that one, rotten attitude and was an absolute impostor for us any time he got a game last season. Never seen anyone so quick to pass the buck, always made the first available pass so that he didn't shoulder any responsibility. It's a shame as he really showed promise a few seasons back. Hopefully Murray will get the best out of him but Carswell and Gow in the same team is the stuff of nightmares!

Aye the injuries and the fact he's another young guy is my main issue. Could be a good signing but we could do with a few more guys in their late 20s to add experience.

He made his Motherwell debut as a 17 year old and made over 90 appearances for the club including over 50 starts and games in the Europa League. He's hardly some naive youngster with no experience.

Anyway he does the dirty side of the game quite well, covers a lot ground, good in the tackle and keeps it simple when in possession. Don't think he even assisted never mind scored a goal for Motherwell and perhaps those limitations were why he was released by Baraclough.

McCall was a big fan though, was our young player of the year in 13/14 under him but he never really built on that last season, McCall left and seemingly Baraclough didn't rate him very much and the feeling was apparently mutual.

A solid enough player who you could never fault for effort, he really needs to add more to his game in an attacking sense but he should do a good job at this level if there's someone more creative next to him.

I would have given him at least another year at Motherwell but as I said, he and Baraclough apparently never really got on. Good luck to him anyway, hope he does well and gets his career back on track.

I quite like Carswell as a player but it seems strange to sign another central midfielder if we're only going to sign a few more players. It definitely supports the 3-5-2 theory some of the Dumbarton fans mentioned. I'd like to think this means Goodwin has some competition for the holding role but unfortunately it probably means he'll be shunted into defence again, which would be a waste.

Welcome aboard!

Another central midfielder though...? Would have said that was the one position that didn't need strengthening.

Oh well. He's played Europa League and featured regularly for the team that's been the second best in Scotland for two out the last three seasons, so I'm sure he will be decent in the Championship.

According to Murray there will now be 4 or 5 more signings, and we still have no left back, left winger, right winger or sub goalie. People still convinced we are going to sign another out and out striker...?

I suppose a good tackler/break up midfielder is what we need.

Good to see we're starting to make progress with signings now.

Edit: Lex makes a good point though. Definitely need those positions filled. I'm sure Murray knows that though.

Archived