St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

Crucially, none of whom are out-and-out centre forwards and indeed contributed a combined total of 1 goal between them last season.

You're almost certainly wrong about this Lex. Murray is on record stating he needs around 8 or 9 new faces in. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say Gow is one and not simply a contract renewal, then Agnew is the second. Even if McGinn does opt to go, the central midfield berths are more or less taken with Mallan, Goodwin, Agnew, Gow and McLear vying for two or three places.

Where would you suggest the other 6 or 7 bodies would be signed for? A goalie and centre half, possibly two are dead certs. A couple of wide players possibly who can double up as full backs. You don't honestly think another centre forward will come in?! I'm going to go on a limb and say there will be absolutely another one forward in, maybe even two. Tommy Craig's tactic of relying solely on Thompson last season wrecked him before a ball was even kicked. Murray simply won't make that mistake.

to be fair to TC he never relied on Thommo last season he bought Ball, Marwood, Caldwell, Dury Unfortunately none of them stepped up to the plate.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to be fair to TC he never relied on Thommo last season he bought Ball, Marwood, Caldwell, Dury Unfortunately none of them stepped up to the plate.

TC admitted himself he signed them to learn the trade off Thommo, didn't bank on him getting injured and unfortunately Ball,Caldwell and Marwood were all hilariously out of depth it was unreal.

Aye, played deeper last season but is best as an attacking player with a strong defensive mid behind him.

If you have signed Scott Agnew he also will play in a similar role but he is not a tackler, just points at people to do the tackling.

I think Murray was developing Agnew into a more defensive midfielder. He's never been the quickest but has found a but if dig in the middle. He's got a great set piece delivery.

Edited to add, there's noway he'll play off the front

:huh:

So what is his best position? Hopefully Murray has a scooby about how to line up. Maybe he'll do a Gus tactic and play 4 centre mids across the midfield or 5 if he goes 3-5-2.

I remain really confused. Suppose it's early days and after a few weeks we'll have more of an idea how we'll line up with further signings.

Agree with the above though, Alan Gow looks a pointless signing unless he's a backup option. Please say he isn't swallowing up too much of our wage budget?

:huh:

So what is his best position? Hopefully Murray has a scooby about how to line up. Maybe he'll do a Gus tactic and play 4 centre mids across the midfield or 5 if he goes 3-5-2.

I'd say he's best in central midfield with a solid hardman type beside him. His best football imo came when him and Chris Turner/Kevin Nicoll were together in the middle of the park.

In saying that, as Snudge said, Turner was injured for a great deal of last season and Aggy was more than strong enough to fill his role as the defensive minded midfielder. In fact he was probably our Player of the Season in the eyes of a lot of more knowledgeable fans.

So in summary. Central midfield. Not on the wing, not in behind the striker, not as a holding mid and certainly not left back (not that I've ever seen him play there)

I hope we sign some players who will be able to get on the end of Agnew and Mallan's corners and free kicks. Both by all accounts whip a cracking ball in so it'd be a shame if we didnt make the most of them.

Would also have Mallan hitting the penalties. The boy knows how to fair skud the ball tbf.

I hope we sign some players who will be able to get on the end of Agnew and Mallan's corners and free kicks. Both by all accounts whip a cracking ball in so it'd be a shame if we didnt make the most of them.

Would also have Mallan hitting the penalties. The boy knows how to fair skud the ball tbf.

Aggy's actually scored twice directly from corners, so you might not even need anyone to attack them.

Reminds me of the days we had Jim Hamilton and Dennis Wyness up front, possibly the slowest strike force in football at that time.

We need another striker in at least, and someone who is better than Gow. I wouldn't have Gow as a striker - he'd be even more useless there. If Gow is in the team I'd expect him to play off the striker, if he was in central midfield the game would pass him by don't think I've ever seen him put in a challenge. Simply, Gow should be an option on the bench.

Reilly is too lightweight for playing up front and Sadlier is better suited to a role similar to Gow's or out wide. I'd even have Agnew as a similar player to Gow and Sadlier. Murray fucked it signing Gow.

post-2169-14352684284422_thumb.jpg

That's our starting 10 contracted players as we stand.

You just need to look at that to see where the priorities are. We have no left back and we have no experienced pros who can play left wing or right wing. One of our centre backs is 19 and has 8 senior appearances to his name and the other is 21 and has only played a handful of games there. Our first choice keeper is 24 and the reserve is a youth with no first team experience. We literally only have one player who's ever played right back at senior level.

Meanwhile we have two senior pros upfront. That's clearly not going to be a priority position for Murray now Thompson has signed, and it shouldn't be. Especially with Reilly and/or Sadlier likely to sign up.

With the signing of Agnew I'd say we are relatively ok in the centre of midfield, but we need players in every other position.

I agree with you, the signing of Gow was bizarre. He was rubbish last year, so rubbish I'd rather have kept Arquin. Murray clearly sees something in him though, let's hope that something isn't the fact he's his mate from their days at Rangers. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

Last time he played at this level it

was with Airdrie and he got 20 goals in 2 seasons for a bottom half side. A similar return for us would certainly be above my expectations.

I agree with you, the signing of Gow was bizarre. He was rubbish last year, so rubbish I'd rather have kept Arquin. Murray clearly sees something in him though, let's hope that something isn't the fact he's his mate from their days at Rangers. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

Woah back up there- that's too far, way too far! Arquin was as useless as Stephane Bahoken!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1435268430.338928.jpg

That's our starting 10 contracted players as we stand.

You just need to look at that to see where the priorities are. We have no left back and we have no experienced pros who can play left wing or right wing. One of our centre backs is 19 and has 8 senior appearances to his name and the other is 21 and has only played a handful of games there. Our first choice keeper is 24 and the reserve is a youth with no first team experience. We literally only have one player who's ever played right back at senior level.

Meanwhile we have two senior pros upfront. That's clearly not going to be a priority position for Murray now Thompson has signed, and it shouldn't be. Especially with Reilly and/or Sadlier likely to sign up.

With the signing of Agnew I'd say we are relatively ok in the centre of midfield, but we need players in every other position.

Last time he played at this level it

was with Airdrie and he got 20 goals in 2 seasons for a bottom half side. A similar return for us would certainly be above my expectations.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Gow - he did not start great but the last home game where he got injured he had a smashing game (other than that miss) and looked like he still had something to offer.

We're crying out for a dynamic pacy forward.

If we go into next season with Thommo and Gow as our strikers I'll consider topping myself.

There is no way that will be our strikeforce, although I wouldn't be surprised if it takes until the end of August for the new recruits to survive. Having your only out and out striker as a 36-year-old who has had fitness issues for the last year is madness.

Now that he's staying I'll dig out the meme I made a few years back. http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=44971

CIafy37W8AAn3F8.jpg

Thommo, top scorer the last four seasons with 16,16,16 and 4. Even though he only played in half the games last season and twice came back from injuries when he clearly wasn't fit he still ended up top scorer and I expect him to be so again. Just need some pace around him.

I don't think it was ever in doubt that he would sign if he was offered a new deal. Only worry was he maybe felt he couldn't handle another season.

Does anyone else think he has got off with the training ground accident because of who he is?

Say it was Goodwin or McAusland, do you not think the fans would have been screaming from the roof tops for x player to be sacked?

I don't think it was ever in doubt that he would sign if he was offered a new deal. Only worry was he maybe felt he couldn't handle another season.

Does anyone else think he has got off with the training ground accident because of who he is?

Say it was Goodwin or McAusland, do you not think the fans would have been screaming from the roof tops for x player to be sacked?

Absolutely (although I think the two players you mention would have stayed). It's the same at all clubs. Ashley Cole got away with shooting a trainee at Chelsea - roles reversed and the young guy would be out on his arse.

I don't agree with it but sadly that's what happens.

Thommo, top scorer the last four seasons with 16,16,16 and 4. Even though he only played in half the games last season and twice came back from injuries when he clearly wasn't fit he still ended up top scorer and I expect him to be so again. Just need some pace around him.

Second top scorer (McLean, obviously).

Absolutely (although I think the two players you mention would have stayed). It's the same at all clubs. Ashley Cole got away with shooting a trainee at Chelsea - roles reversed and the young guy would be out on his arse.

I don't agree with it but sadly that's what happens.

I'd go so far as to say it's the same anywhere. If you're important to a company but make a mistake, you'll have built up enough credit to earn a second chance.

Thompson signing is great news, Sadlier's left though. Surprised at that but oh well.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1435312228.452601.jpg

Kind of annoyed at that really. It's a bit baffling that Gow has been offered a deal instead when Sadlier looked a good deal more impressive last season, is more than 10 years younger and has a lot more potential.

Anyway, pleased that Thompson has signed a new deal and I expect that at least one more striker will be brought in.

Archived