St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

Probably not. Just a way of getting through a summer without football I suppose. I'm sure there are far more ridiculous rumours round the corner, probably originating from B&WA.

FWIW I'd take Clarkson in the championship in a heartbeat. However the chances of him coming to us are slim to nil.

Don't think they're that slim. Reckon if you wanted him you'll get him as can't imagine too many top flight clubs knocking down his door.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen Rooney in the flesh a couple of times. He's got some real potential. He's mostly a marauding right-back but Gus used him at right midfield a few times latterly.

He's a big lad with a lot of power and pace. His touch isn't always there, he's quite raw, but he coped with having the whole right flank to himself. At League 2 he stood out as someone who could move up the ranks quite quickly, but he's not necessarily the next Andy Robertson.

ETA: I wrote about him for the THHP team of the year: http://www.tellhimhespele.com/the-league-2-team-of-the-year-2014-15/

Don't think they're that slim. Reckon if you wanted him you'll get him as can't imagine too many top flight clubs knocking down his door.

It's not so much the clubs that will be after him but the wages he'd probably ask for. Can imagine Dundee will be paying him way more than anything we can afford, but that's pure speculation. Could see him at a Premiership club like County or Thistle before us.

Absolutely no point in signing someone like Clarkson if Thommo is staying on.

Much rather we got a young, hungry, preferably pacy and direct, striker. I know they're not exactly growing on trees but still pretty much everything Clarkson is not.

And as BiD says he'd be on a hefty wage which could be better used elsewhere.

I've seen Rooney in the flesh a couple of times. He's got some real potential. He's mostly a marauding right-back but Gus used him at right midfield a few times latterly.

He's a big lad with a lot of power and pace. His touch isn't always there, he's quite raw, but he coped with having the whole right flank to himself. At League 2 he stood out as someone who could move up the ranks quite quickly, but he's not necessarily the next Andy Robertson.

ETA: I wrote about him for the THHP team of the year: http://www.tellhimhespele.com/the-league-2-team-of-the-year-2014-15/

Even if he is the next Andy Robertson, we wouldn't see the benefit. You see, as soon as potential suitors sniff about, we'd have him packed up for ten bob rather than try and maximise our money for him.

I'm glad this is the type of player we're looking at. It's about time our signing strategy went this route.

I'm glad this is the type of player we're looking at. It's about time our signing strategy went this route.

I wish County's was. Dundee and United have sooked up the majority of the lower leagues' most promising players in the last year or so but there are still some to pick up.

Clarkson is a million times better than sdme of the shite we've relied on goals for this season!

Aye but that isn't difficult!

Clarkson didn't really have the best time at Dundee other than a prolific spell when he first joined. I think he could be a good player in the Championship but like others have said I'd like to see someone a bit younger coming in.

Aye but that isn't difficult!

Clarkson didn't really have the best time at Dundee other than a prolific spell when he first joined. I think he could be a good player in the Championship but like others have said I'd like to see someone a bit younger coming in.

To be fair, he's not 30 until September, he's not exactly old and washed up. He's a prolific enough scorer in spells and his biggest concern is a patchy injury record. He'd certainly be worth a look for this level at least.

Why not? We had two in the shape of Sutton and Mehmet as the option last time we won the league. Even if we have a best case scenario and Thommo is fully fit all season - and indeed signs again - I don't think his 37 year old body could handle the rigours of a full season.

Is Clarkson the man though? Maybe not given his patchy history with injuries, but we definitely need a backup this season.

I see Muzz having a wee moan that he won't be signing any players from us as they can't afford the drop in wages. That would suggest he was after one or more of them and if our sources are correct Scott Agnew is one of them. I assume Murray means that the part-time players would lose out on their "normal job" wage meaning they would be earning less as opposed to us paying more than St. Mirren, unless you're offering less than £350-400.

Good news for us if it means Agnew will sign on again.

Why not? We had two in the shape of Sutton and Mehmet as the option last time we won the league. Even if we have a best case scenario and Thommo is fully fit all season - and indeed signs again - I don't think his 37 year old body could handle the rigours of a full season.

Is Clarkson the man though? Maybe not given his patchy history with injuries, but we definitely need a backup this season.

To be fair Mehmet was very much a bit part player in our promotion season. It was mainly Sutton and Kean who started for us.

If Clarkson isn't asking for a massive wage then I'd definitely take a punt on him. It could be an idea to rotate between him and Thompson for the season.

I see Muzz having a wee moan that he won't be signing any players from us as they can't afford the drop in wages. That would suggest he was after one or more of them and if our sources are correct Scott Agnew is one of them. I assume Murray means that the part-time players would lose out on their "normal job" wage meaning they would be earning less as opposed to us paying more than St. Mirren, unless you're offering less than £350-400.

Good news for us if it means Agnew will sign on again.

Rory McAllister knocked us back because of his part time job.

Agnew is cracking on Football Manager!

Our recent history of signing part time players isn't great tbh.

Yeah fair point. Maybe just because I'm not too keen on Clarkson. I'd rather the back up offered something a bit different.

Was saying that to my mate the other night, last time we came up we had people like Sutton, Lappin, Broadfoot and Adam in the team. Chances are we won't have anything like that quality this time around.

Maybe Murray will ask Hibs for any youngsters on loan, rumours Stanton, Harris and Handling might be available.

Folk were raving about Stanton when he first broke through, no?

Also considering the fact we might be considered promotion rivals(no laughing) could put pay to Murray making use of his Hibs connection at the moment.

Stanton looked class when he first broke through but found it hard to get in the team last season. Our midfield was very strong with Allan, Fyvie ect. He's on a long term contract so a season on loan playing regularly would do him good imo.

Fair point about being promotion rivals.

Archived