St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

They originally bought the club because the previous owners were ready for selling it to a total shyster ( there's a good documentary on YouTube explaining it ). The club was in financial difficulty so the current board got together and risked a lot of their money on saving the club.

Skip forward about 20 years or so and we're now debt free playing in a newish stadium and have a training complex. They feel as if they have done their bit and want to pass the torch on to someone else.

Sadly we've been for sale for about 6/7 years now and a lot of fans blame the uncertainty for our recent downfall.

Fair enough. It's good to see the board are looking for someone to carry on the good work they've done (off the field anyway) rather than selling to anyone. I sincerely hope your fan buy-out works.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sons fans would welcome him back with open arms. We need someone like him, scores free kicks, excellent strikes, penalties, can thread a pass through a needle, no lack of confidence at sons, and no lack of ability either, maybe he's just not as happy as he was with us.

Agnew is a terrible footballer. I wish he would leave and free up whatever wage we are paying him. Do you want McMullan & Carswell too?

Fair enough. It's good to see the board are looking for someone to carry on the good work they've done (off the field anyway) rather than selling to anyone. I sincerely hope your fan buy-out works.

They've done pretty good work on the field, too, but it's a record peppered by some poor decisions re managers, particularly latterly, but also with John Coughlin.

For a club of our size, and given where we stood for basically the whole of the 90s, two promotions (and, yes, two relegations), one Challenge cup and one league cup, as well as a further national final appearance and a couple of other semis, really isn't bad going.

We are at a low ebb at the moment, but it mainly feels like a low ebb because of the way our club has been run for the best part of the last two decades.

The BoD has lost the plot since the League Cup win, and we failed to push on from a position of strength a few years back (we had a thoroughly decent squad in the season following Steven Thompson's arrival, and finished 8th). But their record over the piece is decent: history will iron out the poor seasons, and will show they only did good things for SMFC.

To be fair, when you sign a manager, it's built on how their current team, (usually), are doing, Murray, Coughlin, etc, so you can't blame the board, it's a collective decision. The blame has to lie solely with the manager, whether it be because of team camaraderie in the dressing room or at training, or even on the park, his training methods, signings, whether their good enough or head's in the right place, or playing players out of position, but you have to have a good rapport with the fans, not talk yourself up, or tell the fans to get realistic, fans usually are but we all expect better. st mirren fans have every right to expect a higher league position due to just coming down, but Murray failed them, as he had started to do with us, we are in a very similar position, where you all wanted Murray, and we all wanted Aitken, probably to a man, but you have to praise your board for being quick to react, I don't think it would have changed, whereas Aitken has the luxury of us being more realistic. I wanted him out at half time of the Raith rovers 3-3 game,(we were 2-0 down), but ever since, results have picked up, so if anything, blame the manager himself, or have a look at player's attitudes or ability, I wouldn't blame the board, it's a tougher job than the managers I'd suspect

Think folk are being a bit harsh on Agnew. He isn't brilliant but he's put a shift in wherever he's been shunted week by week and is at least sort of a goal threat. I think his habit of taking too many touches has got worse over the course of the season too, must be a confidence thing to some extent.

McMullan was a genuinely good player, how have you ruined him?!

Good player at League One level, seems to have been a tough step up for him. We were expecting big things from what we heard. Didn't realise he is only 19 though. Hasn't adapted to the physicality of this Division it seems.

Agnew puts in the graft and doesn't hide, certainly not like some wage thief we have just now or had over the years.

Yeah will be interesting to see how this one pans out. Will Rae go with 2 up front or use Clarkson off the bench or maybe Shankland is going back up the road ( hopefully not ).

He's a penalty box striker, my worry is we don't create enough chances for our strikers and Clarkson won't be able to create chances for himself.

Yeah solid signing. Like Rocco Quinn he's a proven performer at a higher level than we play at. Seems like Rae has a preference for players who have done it in the top flight, good.

Straight in the 11 against Alloa on Saturday I guess.

Yeah will be interesting to see how this one pans out. Will Rae go with 2 up front or use Clarkson off the bench or maybe Shankland is going back up the road ( hopefully not ).

He's a penalty box striker, my worry is we don't create enough chances for our strikers and Clarkson won't be able to create chances for himself.

Yeah, from what I've seen it's not as if we've created an abundance of chances and what we're lacking is a poacher like Clarkson to put them away. I reckon Rae will go with him and Shankland up front together anyway.

McMullan was a genuinely good player, how have you ruined him?!

McMullan has been taken off at half-time then completely dropped in recent weeks due to very poor workrate and being ineffective. He is fast but that is about it. Totally bullied in the Championship.

Not surprised McMullan looked good in League 1.

When we pumped Dunfermline 4-0 a few months ago they even made Scott Agnew look like a player.

In a twelve month period where we were humped by fisherman and factory workers that will go down as the most embarrassing result. Really bizarre display when you consider how we done against the Dundee teams and County.

Agnew was a more than good enough player at the level you're currently playing as early as last year though so I can only presume you're wanting a rise out some Dumbarton fans.

Archived