Queen's speech

orlandoblue

I won't be happy with the devolved matters until we get control of everything barring defence and foreign affairs and even that's a stepping stone to the inevitability that is independence.

Hope that clears up my feelings.

ETA: Comforting to know that the Scotland Bill featured further down the list than EVEL and HS2.

EVEL, more 'powers' devolved to wales and scotland. This Union is on its way out, I think we should just put it out of its misery but I can see this being a long, drawn out, bitter process over the next 5-10 years.

Cameron pressing ahead with EVEL. Grounds for a further referendum IMO.

Definitely, but I think a lot also depends on whether he tries to mess with the Barnett Formula and Scotland's taxation powers in a way that clearly disadvantages Scotland fiscally as a way to maximize the number of votes where EVEL applies. That would be an abuse in constitutional terms of the majority that he holds and would take things to a place No voters didn't expect to be going.

Katie McGarvey on Twiiter's none too happy with the expense here. Can't say I disagree...

Katie McGarvey@KatieKhaleesi · 3 hrs3 hours ago

Look at all the MONEY spent on this ridiculous ceremonial SHITE. #QueensSpeech

Katie McGarvey@KatieKhaleesi · 3h 3 hours ago

There are kids going hungry in this country and we're watching a priceless hat being carried around on a velvet pillow 1f611.png#QueensSpeech

ssn00Mvb_normal.jpgKatie McGarvey@KatieKhaleesi · 2h 2 hours ago

Secret rooms, monarchy, gold hats, gold sticks, horses wearing gold hats.. British "democracy" is an absolute joke 1f611.png#QueensSpeech

This is basically just the house of hideous fabrics. The entire thing is made of solid gold and my Nana's curtains. #QueensSpeech

The lady in the priceless hat on a gold chair paid for by taxes of people earning below the living wage is talking about austerity.. 1f611.png

Definitely, but I think a lot also depends on whether he tries to mess with the Barnett Formula and Scotland's taxation powers in a way that clearly disadvantages Scotland fiscally as a way to maximize the number of votes where EVEL applies. That would be an abuse in constitutional terms of the majority that he holds and would take things to a place No voters didn't expect to be going.

There are elements of English spending that will impact on Scotland even if it's only tangently. It may have been an election pledge but the people in Scotland didn't vote for it.

The only sensible and practical way to follow through on the concept is to establish a seperate English Parliament/Assembly. To create a situation where there are different categories of MPs is both impractical and a dangerous precedent.

And before people start mouthing off about the cost of an English Parliament, heres some news - democracy costs money. We can give the English Westminster and have a new 'fit for purpose' UK Parliament building. It doesn't even need to be in London.

There are elements of English spending that will impact on Scotland even if it's only tangently. It may have been an election pledge but the people in Scotland didn't vote for it.

The only sensible and practical way to follow through on the concept is to establish a seperate English Parliament/Assembly. To create a situation where there are different categories of MPs is both impractical and a dangerous precedent.

And before people start mouthing off about the cost of an English Parliament, heres some news - democracy costs money. We can give the English Westminster and have a new 'fit for purpose' UK Parliament building. It doesn't even need to be in London.

The problem is no Prime Minister would want to create a post as powerful the First Minister of England.

When did this become a comedy bit?

Cameron throwing around the jokes in the Commons. Pretty dire actually.

Always been this way at the start of a Queens Speech debate I think! Simon Burns and Harriet Harman both gave some amusing lines. Though respect for her was lost when she referred to the bloody seating.

Archived