The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2015-2016

glensmad

Well done Cumnock, champions, I must be a bit of a jonah for them this season watched them twice, lost 5-2 and drew 0-0, might catch them next season , hopefully firing on all cylinders, four derbies to look forward to, hope Kilwinning make it as well, congratulations.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tremendous achievement by management and players considering we had to play our home games away from Townhead and having to play three games a week in the last fortnight. Commiserations to Clydebank who just missed out, well supported team and thought they were the best team we faced in the league this year.

Roll on next season.

ATN

Tremendous achievement by management and players considering we had to play our home games away from Townhead and having to play three games a week in the last fortnight. Commiserations to Clydebank who just missed out, well supported team and thought they were the best team we faced in the league this year.

Roll on next season.

ATN

Totally agree and a big thanks for our hosts at Lugar. They have been first class, the groundsman and staff in particular . Lets never forget.  Lots of pressure from all angles on the staff and players and they didn't disappoint. The club will get the benefit of the new pitch in years to come. Lets savior last night. ATN  

Congrats to Cumnock and indeed to Largs. Best team wins out in the end and doing it playing every game away from home ( at least from September/ Oct ) is remarkable.

Well done too to Yoker who went on a great run of their own ... pipping Greenock.

Great season ...

Anyone know what happened to the big keeper that played at Yoker. Winslow his name? Not seen him playing at their games this season and thought he was a good keeper

. He's stop playing think he got a new job and was taking time away from the game

• The league title decided on goal difference on the last day.
  • The second automatic promotion spot decided on goal difference on the last day.
  • The play-off spot decided on the last day.
  • The final relegation spot decided on goal difference on the last day.

This is a cracking set-up for a league, and I have no doubt that it'll be more of the same for next season.

league needs improvement Kilwinning playing glencairn twice in the last four games yoke playing Maybole likewise what a weekend it would have been if all teams played there final league game on the same day

league needs improvement Kilwinning playing glencairn twice in the last four games yoke playing Maybole likewise what a weekend it would have been if all teams played there final league game on the same day

I don't think the fixture scheduling has anything to do with the general excellent set-up of the league, though.

It was quite bizarre that Glencairn and Kilwinning weren't asked to play each other at all until 21st May, no postponed or re-scheduled matches, just not scheduled at all until then, and then we play on consecutive Saturdays as two of our last three games. I agree that was strange, and the same thing happened to us with Cumbernauld United a couple of years ago as well.

Yoker having Maybole twice in a row in their last three games is unfortunate, but to be fair to Fixtures Man they were scheduled to meet at Holm Park in November and at Ladywell Stadium in January, with both games being postponed. That wasn't the case for Glencairn and Kilwinning, we just weren't scheduled to meet at all until the 21st May.

• The second automatic promotion spot decided on goal difference on the last day.

This is a cracking set-up for a league, and I have no doubt that it'll be more of the same for next season.

Yes all of the above brings Joy,heartbreak and excitement to this league,however the set-up is all wrong,the possibility of 7 teams exiting the league each year is not right and 4 down certainly not right.Not sure what the answer is but i will revert with my thoughts in the next few days.

Whilst it is a competitive league Peter ... it still doesn't address the issue of teams knowing exactly what they have to do to win league / promotion / escape relegation and also to be playing teams with nothing to play for.

It's skewed and its a bit unfair. There are reasons for most of it - poor pitches / weather / cup runs etc - but its also a bit unfair at end of day. Doesn't mean that the outcomes weren't correct - I think we were probably slightly behind the teams ahead of us - but its not right and a rethink is required.

Whilst it is a competitive league Peter ... it still doesn't address the issue of teams knowing exactly what they have to do to win league / promotion / escape relegation and also to be playing teams with nothing to play for.

It's skewed and its a bit unfair. There are reasons for most of it - poor pitches / weather / cup runs etc - but its also a bit unfair at end of day. Doesn't mean that the outcomes weren't correct - I think we were probably slightly behind the teams ahead of us - but its not right and a rethink is required.

Hard to disagree with that.

Anyone know what happened to the big keeper that played at Yoker. Winslow his name? Not seen him playing at their games this season and thought he was a good keeper

He's still on the books but says he has to work on Saturdays now, personally I think he's in the huff after being ousted by Liam Campbell :lol:

It's the possibility of 7 teams exiting the league each year which gives it the excitement right up to the end, in my opinion.

Too many relegated not much time to establish yourselves on stepping up to this League. Why not two down automatic and give the team third bottom a chance to survive via a play-off with second top of both feeder district leagues playing off for the right to play them ?

Whilst it is a competitive league Peter ... it still doesn't address the issue of teams knowing exactly what they have to do to win league / promotion / escape relegation and also to be playing teams with nothing to play for.

Archived