The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2015-2016

glensmad

I suggest Cumnock should take a dive in the last match. 

It already looks like they will have to play Talbot in the Ayrshire and if they win the league they will do so again in the Evening Times.

The only upside of relegation last year was that they were spared their annual beatings. But ironically that's been 3 times already we've gubbed them.

By rights we should actually get them to keep by now!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge credit to Yoker and Maybole for serving up a 10-goal thriller tonight. Credit to Maybole for not just rolling over with nothing to play for, and credit to Yoker for not giving up despite twice being two goals behind.

That must have been hard to take for Greenock tonight.

So we go into the final night of the league, still not knowing who will be champions, who will be promoted in second, who will be in the play-off, and who will be the final team relegated. Say what you like about the set-up, I think it's brilliant.

Huge credit to Yoker and Maybole for serving up a 10-goal thriller tonight. Credit to Maybole for not just rolling over with nothing to play for, and credit to Yoker for not giving up despite twice being two goals behind.

That must have been hard to take for Greenock tonight.

So we go into the final night of the league, still not knowing who will be champions, who will be promoted in second, who will be in the play-off, and who will be the final team relegated. Say what you like about the set-up, I think it's brilliant.

Yes great but terrible for my auld ticker. ATN

Must be delusional pal.

There's a train station 10 mins from the park, it's directly beside a main road and umpteen buses run from ardrossan and Glasgow.

As Lang said very easy to get to by car.

What is a junior feel to parks now though? So many 'junior' grounds have been lost to 3/4G community hubs.

I agree with you that its easy to get to. Train station right there and loads of buses going past.

Terrible ground though. Fans are too far away from the pitch and the place is falling apart. 

Not surprising and I feel some sympathy with Greenock's situation given how the fixture list seemed to favour Yoker. Apart from the obvious pressure which Yoker will be under to win these last two games it's also worth pointing out that they have been well looked after by the match secretary along the way. It's not very often that you get the opportunity to play the already relagated bottom club not once but twice in your last three fixtures, surely one of these fixtures could have been organised for a Saturday during April? not surprising that Yoker will be suitably fit and raring to go on Mon and Wed again as when you look at the fixture list that Greenock were asked to play. Starting on Wed 20th April both teams had 10 league matches to play. As of Wed 18th May Greenock had played their 10 League games plus 2 Cup matches ie 12 games in 29 days and became the first club to complete their League fixtures ahead of teams who still had 3 and 4 games to play. During the same period Yoker were scheduled and played 6 League games plus 1 abandoned match plus 1 cup game ie 8 games in 29 days. There maybe other reasons why Greenock were dealt such a heavy schedule and didn't appear to get a rest at all in this 4 week period whilst Yoker have had several reasonable and suitable rest periods during the last 5 weeks.

Was it perhaps that Ravenscraig Stadium is an athletics venue which contributed to Greenock's programme having to be finished up quicker than other clubs', to make way for that ?

Wouldn't have thought that anything like that would have been involved at all, unless someone from Greenock can throw any light on it. Just noticed from my previous post Yoker's games were actually spread over a 6 week period and not 5 against Greenock's 4 weeks

I saw some footage last night of big John from Yoker's reaction to their 5th goal in the last minute last night, it was priceless. I can't find it now, can't remember who uploaded it, does anybody know where it was ?

I saw some footage last night of big John from Yoker's reaction to their 5th goal in the last minute last night, it was priceless. I can't find it now, can't remember who uploaded it, does anybody know where it was ?

David Browns Twitter feed

David Browns Twitter feed

No, it's not on there. He's put the goals up this afternoon, but the film I saw last night was taken from in front of the changing rooms, and you clearly see big John going bonkers.  :thumsup2 David's videos this afternoon are taken from the halfway line on the open terracing, and you only see John very briefly.

Is there a better league in the whole of scottish football ?

Every year this league gets more exciting and unpredictable

Curiously had the Winton won at Cumbernauld last week then we too would have been in the mix to stay up. Had that been the case then tomorrow evening's game could have been very interesting for both teams. Alas all we have to play for is pride and stick a wee spanner in the Yoker works.......

Mind you as my earlier post in this thread indicated, Yoker have a played 10 won 8 drew 1 record v AWR !

Hope it's as thrilling as last night's game v Maybole.

I mind being with yoker and it was out of Greenock or Yoker to go up to super 1st and we (yoker) went on a 10game winning run to beat them to the promotion spot on goal difference could this happen again ???? Time will only tell

Congratulations to Cumnock Juniors on winning the league tonight in emphatic fashion. I'm delighted for John McKeown as he was under pressure at the start of the season, but he stuck in there and got his reward.

Well done to Yoker for completing a miraculous escape from relegation, and commiserations to Greenock Juniors who are relegated instead.

It's nice to see my team keeping up our record of always finishing in the top half of this league, despite the desperation to see us relegated of the usual suspects every season. Our ambitions should be and are indeed higher than that, though, and we always seem to do well in the second half of the season. If we can hold onto the bulk of the current squad and add a few (watch this space, lots happening there) then we will have a chance to start next season positively instead of playing catch-up again.

Archived