The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2015-2016

glensmad

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been getting worse for years , never been in the hunt for promotion and never will unless they go down

;-) "Getting worse for years". Last year was our highest placed finish since your time. As I've said repeatedly, you are history now. Deal with it.

Irvine and Donaghy left to join Cumbernauld and Cambuslang respectively.

Zok isn't injured, he just hasn't been selected. I hope you're right about McLaughlin, we know what he's capable of.

What's ur thoughts on Zok then glensmad, surely should be playing if you'se aren't taking chances?? Why is he not involved? Not even in the squad according to highlights of weekend?

I wouldn't say "unlucky". We have played well in some games and very poor in others. The league games where we have played well we haven't killed teams off and ended up drawing. The league games we have lost (2 games) we have played very poorly in. You make your own luck in this game.

Rite then pedro b honest here -shld Wullie b the gaffer or is it jist cos he owns the boozer yeez canny sack him???

Perhaps I should clarify my own personal opinions on a few of the issues raised above, so nobody thinks I'm dodging the issues. Nobody has asked me to post any of this, these are my own thoughts. Please bear in mind, however, that I am a committee member, and also a personal friend of the manager which dates back to before his time at the club, so I will not compromise my position in either of these situations.

I obviously speak to the manager on a regular basis, he knows my opinions on individual players and I know some of his on certain matters, but obviously not all as he is very good at telling me what I need to know and what I don't. He's not slow in telling me when I'm being too nosey. :P We have some very frank discussions at times regarding players and formations, and we do not always agree, but we remain friends despite this. I attend training regularly and I see for myself who is there and who is doing what, what formations are being worked on, and it helps me form my own opinions on individuals. I will not divulge the reasons why particular players are not playing as much as others. It's sufficient to say that the manager picks the team based on his knowledge of the players at his disposal and their particular circumstances in their time at the club.

It should be pointed out, however, that Willie Harvey has now been manager at Glencairn for five full seasons, and all of those seasons have been played at Super League level. The first season was in the Super Premier League, where we were relegated, but the circumstances regarding that are well documented. Willie arrived at the club in mid June 2010, and inherited a club with no players, no management, no physio, and no groundsman. He had two weeks before pre-season training to build a squad to play in the top league in junior football. It was no surprise that it didn't work out, and I doubt that any manager would have kept us up that season.

Since then, we have had four seasons in Super League Division One, finishing 6th, 6th, 7th and 5th (i.e. top half every season), which somewhat ridicules yellowcard's assertion that it has been "getting worse for years". It has actually been the opposite of that.

It should be pointed out that the club is playing at a consistently higher league level than they were for all but one of their predecessors' time at the club. Our friend yellowcard likes to talk glowingly of the Smith & Patterson years. They were in charge for five seasons, and four of those were spent in the Central District League. The first three seasons they finished 3rd, 5th and 4th. In their final two seasons, as we all know, they won the Central District League and the Super First Division. Those final two years were great times for the club and our support will always be grateful to the management and players of that era for the memories we have. It has to be said, though, that they were built on a considerable amount of money spent, the sort of money which has never been available to Willie Harvey.

It has been said on here, almost exclusively by people outside the club, that a club of Glencairn's size should be in the Super Premier League and there are suggestions that we are under-achieving as a club. I attend 99% of the club's matches, and I know the size of the club's membership, I know the finances, I see the attendances, and I compare them to other clubs we meet as we go through the seasons. We simply cannot compete financially with the likes of Pollok, Rob Roy, Troon, Beith, Hurlford, Kilbirnie, Largs and Glenafton, all of whom have been promoted from our league over the past four seasons. These clubs all have bigger supports than Glencairn, and I would imagine bigger budgets as a consquence.

Willie Harvey's current ambition is to get Glencairn promoted back to the Super Premier League where they were when he inherited the job, and this time to take the team that got us there into the league instead of starting afresh with a completely new one. He hasn't succeeded in that respect so far, however that remains his current aim for the club. Time will tell whether he succeeds in that aim, but so far in his time in charge he has sustained us playing at Super League level. I personally believe that is an achievement in itself, given my inside knowledge of the resources available to him over that period.

This league season hasn't started the way we wanted, but there are 21 games and 63 points still to be played for, so there is a long way to go and a lot can change. One thing is for sure, nobody can question Willie Harvey for commitment and effort.

By the way, it was quite amusing to see Glencairn and Cambuslang training side by side last night, both using 1/3 of a pitch at Toryglen right beside each other. One passing old gentleman remarked to me on the difference in intensity of the training between the two teams, which was interesting.

Archived