Still More Good News on Crowds ... (outside Glasgow)

I know, you need to separate the two, it's not about the quality for me, it's about seeing my local representatives on a national stage, and going to games where I'll see plenty of pals from Aberdeen. Unfortunately not as many as is like !!

It's like comparing the experience of going to a gig with watching VH1

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 21 and have lived in Aberdeen and Edinburgh all my life. I hang out with a Dundee crowd too due to my flatmate. I'd say I knew two proper Dees and one proper Hibee. The rest are only interested in FIFA and Sky Sports. We've taken them to games (I'll go see anything, I've been to Dundee away games in Dingwall) but they belittle the game, constantly comparing it with down south.

Might be an East Coast problem. On the west you've got the anomaly of the OF. The strength of the rivalry can sustain the support because kids will be forced to choose at school. And the quality is (usually) better, they can see the teams in big euro competition. Winning matters a lot too. Kids love success.

I maintain this is about getting kids in at an early age. Think about how you started supporting. Probably a parent or an uncle. Or at school. Once you're hooked you can't stop!

It's just kids in general. My son supports Celtic and goes to the game but says he also supports Real Madrid and Man City. I can remember having an English team when I was growing up that changed from Notts Forest, West Ham, Watford and Man City usually depending on what strip I got for Christmas. I grew out of that though. Sadly it looks like some don't

It's just kids in general. My son supports Celtic and goes to the game but says he also supports Real Madrid and Man City. I can remember having an English team when I was growing up that changed from Notts Forest, West Ham, Watford and Man City usually depending on what strip I got for Christmas. I grew out of that though. Sadly it looks like some don't

I still have an English team in Everton due to my dad supporting them for years but they'd never get in the way of me going to Accies games. I've not really heard say to me they don't go to Accies games because they're - for example - a Man United fan, it's because they're armchair OF fans. I understand it's clearly a problem elsewhere but it just doesn't seem as apparent in Hamilton.

I still have an English team in Everton due to my dad supporting them for years but they'd never get in the way of me going to Accies games. I've not really heard say to me they don't go to Accies games because they're - for example - a Man United fan, it's because they're armchair OF fans. I understand it's clearly a problem elsewhere but it just doesn't seem as apparent in Hamilton.

It's not only in Scotland. I work down south during the week in Northampton and out of the whole work there is one fan who supports them. The rest are mostly Man U, some Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. None of them go to the games but make out they are huge fans.

It's not only in Scotland. I work down south during the week in Northampton and out of the whole work there is one fan who supports them. The rest are mostly Man U, some Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. None of them go to the games but make out they are huge fans.

I suppose down there will be similar to here that you have these big clubs that take fans from the smaller clubs. I personally don't see the point in saying your first team is someone you've never been to see.

If I was still in Scotland, and within a feasible distance, I would still have a season ticket for Aberdeen. Had one from 82 (when I started university, have been a lifelong Dandy since I can remember (vaguely remember celebrating in 1970!)) up until 98 (when work got in the way) then from 2007 - 09 (left the UK in 2010)

Never had a "second team" in England or Europe or anywhere.

The irony of a Celtic fan complaining about fans not supporting their local teams and pretending to be diehard supporters of a side they only watch once in a blue moon is delicious.

There's some c**t at my work (Scottish, claims to support Dundee Utd) who has constantly scoffed at the fact that "teams like St Johnstone and Kilmarnock" have won cups in Scotland. "You would never get that happening down south" he says.

Did I mention he was a c**t?

The man's got a point, you never see diddies like Wigan or Pompey winning cups in England!!

Norway is probably between Scotland and Ireland as to the level of league. I'm no expert but my dad lived over there for a few years and he was a regular at both Viking and Sandnes. In his workplace they all had English teams and a few had Norwegian teams, but it was much the same as over here. Pretty much all my pals (other than my AFC mates) support an English team only. They might say they support a Scottish team too but they'll also laugh about how shite they are and not take them seriously. Mabye from down there in Bucks you don't realise this.

I don't think I have one mate that solely supports an English team

Not one

Not entirely sure what thats meant to prove tbh?

Although I suppose we all have different little stats and that we like to know.

It's an utterly pointless stat. If Queen's Park got promoted and got crowds of 10k then their percentage of capacity would still be terrible. Whereas, some bunch of diddies with a tiny ground could have 500 people and still a good percentage.

Rangers 46,362 45,744 42,657 32,798

That's an awful lot of walking away there.

I think I'm the only one of my mates who doesn't have an English team: the irony being I'm the one living in England. Constantly seeing updates about Liverpool, Man City, etc. on facebook.

I had one mate growing up who was a "Rangers" fan but never went to Ibrox. His family were from the Wirral on his mum's side so he also "supported" Everton, Tranmere and Vauxhall Motors. The only time he ever went to a football match was when the rest of us were going to Cappielow and he didn't want to be left out.

But the idea of folk down here supporting their local team seems anaethema to them much like the continent. My girlfriend is Romanian and "supports" Steaua despite coming from the opposite side of the country to Bucharest. She looks down on Bucharest in almost everything (the way most in the UK do about London) yet still passionately supports them. When I asked her why she said it was because she never liked Rapid or Dinamo. The thought of supporting Olimpia (her closest team) or CFR (the biggest team in the region at least) baffled her. It was like asking someone from East Kilbride why they don't support Berwick. I've found this with Spaniards and Italians as well. Folk from San Sebastian will say they hope Real Sociedad do well, might even be season ticket holders, but are "Barcelona" fans. My mate from Portugal was a member of Benfica but a season ticket holder at Braga and went to every home game APART from games against Benfica because they were his first team. England is getting this way with half a dozen clubs hoovering up the fans from the rest of the country.

Archived