Dundee United 2015/16 Season

So they are clowns (I don't dispute that) but you want them to have more shares in your club - and therefore more say? That's the bit I'm struggling with.

You need to separate the strategic purpose of the trust from the particular individuals in office at present.

The purpose is wrong and the individuals are - from what I can gather from their public statements - largely clowns. They don't carry any influence and don't represent the majority of United fans. A more focused organisation, with a worthwhile purpose, would have a better chance of doing that, and of attracting individuals who are interested in more than just bumping their gums on the sidelines.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think theres one single player out of our squad that i would be campaigning to keep. Granted, a few of them might do a job for us in the Championship but id rather a new gaffer came in and wiped the decks and started from scratch building a team. It may take a year or two but hopefully worth it in the longer term

Isn't it daft to punt under contract players now?

It's pretty possible that a new manager would come in and make use of someone like say, Durnan and get something out of him at that level. All it does is take money out of the budget by paying them off which seems very inefficient.

Murray, Spittal, Dillon and Fraser were what ive heard. No doubt it will come out in the next few hours

Same as I've heard, your source is normally spot on.

I dont think theres one single player out of our squad that i would be campaigning to keep. Granted, a few of them might do a job for us in the Championship but id rather a new gaffer came in and wiped the decks and started from scratch building a team. It may take a year or two but hopefully worth it in the longer term

How long does your new manager get if all these new players take time to gel?

I know it's been a disappointing season, but there's a spine of a decent team at United. Surely the new manager should get the benefit of saying who stays and who goes, rather than just emptying everyone?

Appreciate the expensive mercenaries should all be told to bolt now, but the likes of Durnan and Donaldson etc shouldn't be IMO. 

Isn't it daft to punt under contract players now?

It's pretty possible that a new manager would come in and make use of someone like say, Durnan and get something out of him at that level. All it does is take money out of the budget by paying them off which seems very inefficient.

As I understand it, the story is that certain players have been told they can find new clubs. There's been no suggestion that anyone's getting paid off.

As I understand it, the story is that certain players have been told they can find new clubs. There's been no suggestion that anyone's getting paid off.

That makes more sense. Doesn't mean a huge amount though and just seems more like posturing from Thompson.

I think the players told to leave who'd do a job down there, have been told to leave due to their wages. Top flight wages will see boys like Dow, Durnan and Donaldson out the door.

How long does your new manager get if all these new players take time to gel?

I know it's been a disappointing season, but there's a spine of a decent team at United. Surely the new manager should get the benefit of saying who stays and who goes, rather than just emptying everyone?

Appreciate the expensive mercenaries should all be told to bolt now, but the likes of Durnan and Donaldson etc shouldn't be IMO. 

The expensive mercenaries are all out of contract in a couple of weeks anyway.

I wonder if there's something imminent in terms of a Director of Football or new Chairman and Thompson has already been given the nod to try to clear the decks as much as possible as early as possible.

Edit: Just to add, probably true that the likes of Durnan and Donaldson could do a job in the Championship but the same could be said for any number of out of contract players. Presumably someone has made a decision that there's better value out there to be had.

Archived