Dundee United 2015/16 Season

Better than 8th despite having three players good enough to be in the Team Of The Year, possibly?

We were in the hunt for a top 6 finish until the last day and we got to the quarters of the Scottish Cup. Relatively speaking that's a decent season for Dundee. Sure there have been disappointments along the way and the season won't be remembered for our playing achievements :)

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were in the hunt for a top 6 finish until the last day and we got to the quarters of the Scottish Cup. Relatively speaking that's a decent season for Dundee. Sure there have been disappointments along the way and the season won't be remembered for our playing achievements :)

To be fair, that's been the case for every season for about the last 40 years or so.

You seem upset. But your going to tell us your not. Your going to tell us you have stopped caring as you new you were down ages ago.

I'm not as upset by United's relegation as I am by your spelling and grammar, I know that much.

When we have our thread in the Championship forum, whats the script in terms of Dundee fans paying us a visit? Will they still play a big part in the thread like this year, or will they have bigger fish to fry, for example dealing with the newly promoted Rangers? 

We've got a game in hand to go 7th ffs, still not the greatest but we over achieved last season and I believe we're sitting in our right position just now.

This is where it gets hilarious.

Most Dee's agreed we overachieved last season finishing 6th. I think we all hoped for a top 6 and above finish this season, but ultimately we never improved enough at the back and have had a horrendous season of injuries, particularly at centre half which has led to us drawing far too many games despite our excellent threat in the final 3rd.

I'm disappointed we finished in the bottom 6 but quite frankly, the league is tighter than a ducks arse and we fell 1 point short in the end and only  really have ourselves to blame. With Celtic out the cup we'd be faced with 5 dead rubbers in an attempt to cement 4th for a wee bit extra cash. We wouldn't have the situation we have now either where we can potentially relegate an abysmal Dundee Utd in front of a sold out home crowd.

Despite the decline in league position I'm confident Hartley is steadily improving our team and has the correct eye for  a player that will take us forward and help us develop as a club. We have 2 POTY nominees, 3 players in the Team of the year and a player who has been selected for 3 Scotland squads (even if he only went away for 2). We've had 2 local lads, both lifelong Dee's, cement their places in the first team squad (if not XI) and once again our gaffer has done some promising early business in the transfer market.

This isn't me revelling in mediocrity, this is me accepting we've had a long stint in a dark place and my club is finally back on it's feet and has not only re-established itself as a Premiership team, but re-established ourselves as the top team in the city.

There have been a few comments about Utd fans having "more class" than Dundee fans this season and I can't quite get my head around that one. Constant pitch invasions, swift turn on "Sir Stephen Thompson" and "best young manger in the country - Jackie Mac" as soon as the going gets tough, chairmans elderly mother verbally abused, punches thrown at the chairman, refusing to turn up to back the club in a huge game on Monday, backing a player after a clear bite etc etc. 

Under the Thompson reign (Eddie initially) Utd fans became accustomed to their club achieving success through top 6 finishes, cup wins and a string of managers who seemed to be getting it right. There seems to be a refusal from Utd fans to acknowledge this was all achieved by the club living far outwith it's means, with £7 million pounds of debt accrued in short order Eddie Thompson tragically succumbed to cancer and the post was taken up by his son, Stephen Thompson.

Remarkably, Stephen managed to continue the sustained performance, eliminate the bank debt (at the expense of sizeable soft loans) and rake in unprecedented income through player trading. Things started getting tighter, the club still running at a significant loss so to offset that ST had to continue selling players but unfortunately, as a result of boardroom loose lips the fans had turned on a manager who started to lose it. Shorn of the players that the club could never really afford an unable to replace them adequately despite continuing to throw good money at bad (3rd highest budget in the league folks) Jackie Mac got the punt and Mixu got the nod. most fans were optimistic when he came in if you are honest, and he was backed heavily financially by TBS with ex premiership players and internationals coming in on short term deals - not a cheap enterprise - Mixu clearly never worked out and has now become "the cheap option" with fans wanting him binned and MIxu being used as further ammo for ST.

The above is the reality of the situation. The Thompsons have shown and stated they can't keep propping the club up financially and, rightly or wrongly, have began recouping some of the money their family invested. Had Utd been sitting 3rd right now this withdrawal would be seen as the families just desserts, but with Utd struggling it's become a stick to beat the man with.

I'm well aware that the manner of some of the dealings from ST has been very suspect, and there can be no doubt the Newcastle Jets thing was a real distraction/sideshow - he's no angel in this, but he has continued to throw good money at bad and back his managers - without his leadership over the past x years, Utd would likely have been in administration a long time ago. IMO the fans should look at his reign as a transitional one, where the club returned gradually toward a more even keel fiscally, allowing them to still have a club to support while they find their feet again and adjust to their natural level, which, like it or not, is around where we are. It may take them a few years to find it again, like we did. 

Utd fans have become spoiled children watching their sugar daddies throw money they couldn't afford at making them happy - now the chickens have come home to roost and it's time to learn some serious humility. It will serve you well in years to come.

Thank you

When we have our thread in the Championship forum, whats the script in terms of Dundee fans paying us a visit? Will they still play a big part in the thread like this year, or will they have bigger fish to fry, for example dealing with the newly promoted Rangers? 

Speaking personally, I'll drop in now and again to catch up with some of the good c**t's, but you will effectively become an irrelevance to me until we are back in the same league. Hopefully get a cup draw to get a derby on the go but just need to see what happens.

This is where it gets hilarious.

Most Dee's agreed we overachieved last season finishing 6th. I think we all hoped for a top 6 and above finish this season, but ultimately we never improved enough at the back and have had a horrendous season of injuries, particularly at centre half which has led to us drawing far too many games despite our excellent threat in the final 3rd.

I'm disappointed we finished in the bottom 6 but quite frankly, the league is tighter than a ducks arse and we fell 1 point short in the end and only  really have ourselves to blame. With Celtic out the cup we'd be faced with 5 dead rubbers in an attempt to cement 4th for a wee bit extra cash. We wouldn't have the situation we have now either where we can potentially relegate an abysmal Dundee Utd in front of a sold out home crowd.

Despite the decline in league position I'm confident Hartley is steadily improving our team and has the correct eye for  a player that will take us forward and help us develop as a club. We have 2 POTY nominees, 3 players in the Team of the year and a player who has been selected for 3 Scotland squads (even if he only went away for 2). We've had 2 local lads, both lifelong Dee's, cement their places in the first team squad (if not XI) and once again our gaffer has done some promising early business in the transfer market.

This isn't me revelling in mediocrity, this is me accepting we've had a long stint in a dark place and my club is finally back on it's feet and has not only re-established itself as a Premiership team, but re-established ourselves as the top team in the city.

You see, I get that. At the risk of plagiarism, thank you.

Well said Deefiant.

They have beaten us over the head for years over the 2 Admins as if they were somehow morally superior to us, but had Peter Marr turned up instead of Eddie they would be lucky to have still been in existence. That's what it comes down too, luck.

They can't even turn up to support their team, whilst Dens was bulging with dark blues as we supported our team in their attempt to stop United winning the league. I would have thought after the season the DABS have had a victory at Dens tomorrow - not allowing your biggest rivals the joy of relegating them - even potentially allowing them to stave of relegation altogether was something worth supporting?

But no, classy I don't think.

Problem is guys, we've turned out all season to support our team. Home and away all season. Cheered them after watching yet another cluster f**k in defence or Billy Mckay missing his 3rd one on one. They've let us down. Badly. They've taken us down. Spectacularly. As far as I'm concerned they can take the humiliation and f**k off into the sunset on Monday night. I'm not supporting the players that downed tools months ago.

Sometimes relegation is the best thing for some clubs. It could take one season or it could take six but it gives Utd the chance to start from scratch. Blending in youths with a few experienced players should see them alright. It's not as hard to get out of the first now with the playoffs added in so they should realistically finish top four next season.

Well said Deefiant.

They have beaten us over the head for years over the 2 Admins as if they were somehow morally superior to us, but had Peter Marr turned up instead of Eddie they would be lucky to have still been in existence. That's what it comes down too, luck.

They can't even turn up to support their team, whilst Dens was bulging with dark blues as we supported our team in their attempt to stop United winning the league. I would have thought after the season the DABS have had a victory at Dens tomorrow - not allowing your biggest rivals the joy of relegating them - even potentially allowing them to stave of relegation altogether was something worth supporting?

But no, classy I don't think.

Spudster I'd still me morally superior to you regardless who we supported and how many times your club had gone into administration.

If Mixu is in charge, this time next season we will be meandering about 6th or 7th praying to keep out of the playoffs. He's awful. Bring in someone else (Mckinnon if we can, maybe go begging to Houston?)early and let them build a fit, hard working and determined squad.

Archived