Dundee United 2015/16 Season

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone who stayed right until the end today you would have seen the United squad acknowledge the fans at the end and apologise for what has unfolded this season. By squad however I mean Dillon, Paton and Rankin; the only players that I actually feel sorry for and the only players that made an effort to effectively say sorry to the fans after the final whistle. The rest of the shitebags and the manager made their way back to the tunnel as soon as they could but you had Paton, Rankin and Dillon standing in the centre circle probably saying to each other "what the f**k has actually happened to this club in the last couple of years?" Now Paton, Dillon and Rankin are all very, very average footballers but they are probably the only three in the squad who can at least be relied upon at the moment. The rest are either just awful or one of Mixu's uber-shite signings.

Who to blame? Thompson for me gets the blame, not for selling players which seems to be the main theme in the anti-Thompson anger at the moment. Thompson gets the blame from me for just not having a plan. I think we have been slowly degrading as a club since Levein left. I've made this point before and I stick to it. With Levein we had a manager and a structure with come kind of plan. After he left it all started slowly ebbing away with managers living off of the work put in by Levein, Cathro et al. We had a bit of joy with McNamara who managed to unearth a couple of gems but really he was a shite manager, just like Mixu is a shite manager. Thompson and the board get the blame from me for employing managers who are terrible and for not actually investing properly in the youth system we are always so wrongly praised for having (our youth system is absolutely awful). 

If Thompson is really serious about sticking around he is going to have to do something major in the summer to get fans back onside. A new manager, some kind of Director of Football who can be trusted, proper re-investment in the youth system, real discounts for tickets and season tickets (the relaunch of the season ticket this early has been a disaster), proper dialogue with the fans and some fresh ideas at board level.

Relegation, if managed properly, can be a chance for a fresh start, as much as it is an absolute disaster for a club. If we don't attack relegation properly though, we will end up in serious shit. We have no divine right to be in Scotland's top flight and clubs of a similar size to our own have become a total shambles after relegation. Which way are we going?

The problem we have is that Thompson did have a plan and it involved Australia. Once bitten twice shy, he won't be putting family money into the club again. It'll be cut backs and a smaller squad next year. The best we can hope for as you've highlighted is a new board member with some experience/ insight ( and some cash would help) can't see a long list of people but you never know.

The big issue in the short term is season ticket sales. The club will be desperate for sales so plans can be made over summer, based on that cash . Does anyone know where we are up to? I will renew but haven't yet. Guess a few like that too? There's so much bitterness though, that I can see few folk saying " f**k it" and not bothering.

Actually looking forward to it a wee bit. Not sure if I'll be so sanguine if we're still in it four years from now though.

I'm sure a certain St Mirren poster looked forward to their stint in the championship too, I wonder how that's played out.

Looking in it'll be a competitive and exciting league, but the quality is genuinely brutal and it's a bitch to get out of. Regardless of who comes/stays up in the playoffs I can't see you winning it unless the squad's pretty much wiped out and you hit the ground running.

Enjoy  :)

The problem we have is that Thompson did have a plan and it involved Australia. Once bitten twice shy, he won't be putting family money into the club again. It'll be cut backs and a smaller squad next year. The best we can hope for as you've highlighted is a new board member with some experience/ insight ( and some cash would help) can't see a long list of people but you never know.

The big issue in the short term is season ticket sales. The club will be desperate for sales so plans can be made over summer, based on that cash . Does anyone know where we are up to? I will renew but haven't yet. Guess a few like that too? There's so much bitterness though, that I can see few folk saying " f**k it" and not bothering.

I'll be renewing but can understand why some will chose not to. Very little faith left in Thompson.

I'm sure a certain St Mirren poster looked forward to their stint in the championship too, I wonder how that's played out.

Looking in it'll be a competitive and exciting league, but the quality is genuinely brutal and it's a bitch to get out of. Regardless of who comes/stays up in the playoffs I can't see you winning it unless the squad's pretty much wiped out and you hit the ground running.

Enjoy :)

Will be amazed if we win it. Hibs/Falkirk/Raith, St Mirren and Morton will all start next season better prepared than us. Hoping Killie come down too as they will be in a similarly shambolic state.

I reckon we will struggle to make top half, similarly to st mirren this season. We need at least two players for every area of the pitch and we are in a disgraceful state off it as well. This will take years to fix

Changed my mind already. The ginger plumber will bang in 25 goals, league wrapped up before the Easter holidays.

The thing is he may have to invest if he ever hopes to get anything significant back out of the club. The longer we spend in the Championship the greater the asset that he has diminishes.

The thing is he may have to invest if he ever hopes to get anything significant back out of the club. The longer we spend in the Championship the greater the asset that he has diminishes.

Yeah I hope he realises that. I'm sure he won't want to but hopefully some wise words will be spoken to him over the next few weeks about the need to invest over summer.

Archived