Dundee United 2015/16 Season

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JJ hopefully kicking on and Dow along with Connolly and Spittal means we might not actually sign a winger the more I think about it.

Keeper, CB and striker are the most likely tbh.

I disagree.

Johnson isn't ready yet, despite getting rave reviews in ultimately meaningless u20s games. He'll kick on next season, of course he will, but he's not ready now.

Connolly has skills but doesn't carry any threat of pace.

Spittal I like, but again, he's still young. We need someone experienced with those specific attributes.

Possible Signings:

Webster - I've heard this is a done deal from people (Free)

Allan - Will be cheaper now that Hibs aren't in Prem (300k)

O' Donnell - Is he a free agent?

Yes. The rumour is that if the clubs down south that are interested don't offer him a deal then he'll be off to United. I'd greet.

Scott Fox also seems destined for Tannadice. I'd cum.

Yes. The rumour is that if the clubs down south that are interested don't offer him a deal then he'll be off to United. I'd greet.

Scott Fox also seems destined for Tannadice. I'd cum.

Looks like Utd could have Letheren / Fox in goal next season.... absolute joy (if we can muster a shot on target)

That's certainly a fair and balanced representation of the majority's thoughts on Paton over the last two years :rolleyes:

It really is.

It's also noteworthy that Paton has been widely recognised as having a good game on Saturday, though I'm ArabFC will be along momentarily to inform us that we're wrong :thumsup2

Souttar for me is still a far better prospect at the back than in midfield - obviously the boy could play pretty much anywhere (at this level) - he's got that ability.

JJ hopefully kicking on and Dow along with Connolly and Spittal means we might not actually sign a winger the more I think about it.

Keeper, CB and striker are the most likely tbh.

I agree. When Ciftci leaves that gives us Erskine, Dow, Connolly, Spittal, Telfer, Johnson and Coote competing for the three positions behind the striker. The last five should all be better next season than this (obviously Johnson and Coote are entirely new to the first team squad but both are highly regarded and will get a chance). Erskine and Dow are already solid Premiership players and from the other five I'd expect at least 2 or 3 to develop into very good players - provided they get game time. That's plenty bordering on too many so unless someone really outstanding becomes available I'd rather we stuck with what we've got in that position.

I agree. When Ciftci leaves that gives us Erskine, Dow, Connolly, Spittal, Telfer, Johnson and Coote competing for the three positions behind the striker. The last five should all be better next season than this (obviously Johnson and Coote are entirely new to the first team squad but both are highly regarded and will get a chance). Erskine and Dow are already solid Premiership players and from the other five I'd expect at least 2 or 3 to develop into very good players - provided they get game time. That's plenty bordering on too many so unless someone really outstanding becomes available I'd rather we stuck with what we've got in that position.

It's an interesting situation we're in. The squad has excellent depth of average-to-good players and good-to-very-good potential, but is short on currently very good ("outstanding") players, your GMS, Robbo, Gauld, Armstrong, Russell, Robson, Webster, etc. It's why I'm uncertain whether we'll go for another striker if Ciftci goes as we have 4+ other players already contesting the solo or duo striker role. Same goes for the wide attacking roles and defensive midfield.

Of course, if outstanding candidates become available in our price range then I hope we'd go for them regardless of position, and find a way to keep the potential guys developing / farm out the average.

It's an interesting situation we're in. The squad has excellent depth of average-to-good players and good-to-very-good potential, but is short on currently very good ("outstanding") players, your GMS, Robbo, Gauld, Armstrong, Russell, Robson, Webster, etc. It's why I'm uncertain whether we'll go for another striker if Ciftci goes as we have 4+ other players already contesting the solo or duo striker role. Same goes for the wide attacking roles and defensive midfield.

Of course, if outstanding candidates become available in our price range then I hope we'd go for them regardless of position, and find a way to keep the potential guys developing / farm out the average.

The only way we're ever going to get very good players is by developing them ourselves. We can't afford to sign the finished article (except in very limited circumstances - Webster's injury issues etc) and, in any event, they wouldn't come to us anyway. We can go for established mediocrity or give a chance to potential in the hope that it's fulfilled. I'd say that Telfer, Spittal, Souttar and Muirhead have all shown enough to suggest that they'll develop into players every bit as good as GMS and Armstrong. Connolly might too. Going by age and reputation Coote might be the best one yet.

We do probably need a winger with pace. Only JJ is remotely quick and I doubt he'll be ready next year.

We probably should try move one of Erskine or Dow on.

I don't even know why Im responding to this.

Are you saying that Dow and Spittal are slow? Erskine isn't exactly lumbering either although not the fastest.

Spittal seems to be taking a little longer to settle into the squad but he does have the attributes required to be a decent Scots Prem player at the very least.

It will be good to see if he can develop further over the coming season, along with the others.

I don't even know why Im responding to this.

Are you saying that Dow and Spittal are slow? Erskine isn't exactly lumbering either although not the fastest.

Dow or Spittal are not slow but they are far from fast. Erskine runs like a junkie ref.

The only way we're ever going to get very good players is by developing them ourselves...

I think the likes of GMS, Ciftci, Robertson and Armstrong kind of dispute that, but I get your point. We can't afford to bring in 'proven' top quality players.

Spittal seems to be taking a little longer to settle into the squad but he does have the attributes required to be a decent Scots Prem player at the very least.

It will be good to see if he can develop further over the coming season, along with the others.

I said it was Spittal that impressed me most out of the Telfer/Spittal/Connolly trio in pre-season. He has struggled, a bit, in part probably due to being played at right back more often than not early on in the season, but there's a player in there, no doubt.

He won't ever be a GMS imho - he doesn't have the pace or tricks to replicate that, but he can be a very good player for us.

Ali Coote will defo be a very good player - not the best though - Gauld will have that label for a long time to come. But, you can see the potential in him already in the first team. I remember seeing him for the first time playing for Scotland U16s a couple years ago, and I was quickly checking his age to see when he could be breaking into the team.

I think the likes of GMS, Ciftci, Robertson and Armstrong kind of dispute that, but I get your point. We can't afford to bring in 'proven' top quality players.

Yes, we developed all those players. I'm glad you agree.

It doesn't matter whether the players are 5, 12, 17 or 23 when they come to the club, provided they have sufficient potential to improve and we nurture that then we've developed them. That's the strategy we should be aiming for. If you want to argue that other clubs also played a part in their development that's fine. I wasn't claiming exclusive provenance.

Edit: I wasn't thinking of Ciftci initially to be fair and it's arguable whether he has developed at United. I'd probably have Ciftci down as one of the exceptions to the rule, like Webster.

Archived