Dundee United 2015/16 Season

Not sure I agree. Even last year, when we had our best start to the season since the '80s, we were grinding out results, to use a cliche.

I'm not arguing that we were particularly good overall. Just that when the attacking play clicked, it was great. It didn't click enough latterly and the defensive side was consistently shite, even during that great run.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't think the fact he stands motionless on the sidelines, with the exception of barely mouthing some instructions, which clearly none of the players will hear, doesn't hint towards the ultimate obvious self-evident problem?

No. That sort of criticism is utterly moronic.

No. That sort of criticism is utterly moronic.

So it didn't bother you seeing him apparently giving no f**ks whatsoever about the countless shocking performances unfolding in front of him? Personally I like to see a manager absolutely seething on the touchline when things are going badly.

To be honest I don't care how the manager is on the sideline. I'm not sure it makes any sort of difference to the players who are running around a lot and concentrating (or trying to) on what they need to do on the pitch. If you are ranting and raving can you be applying critical, calm, reasoned thought to what needs to be changed? However, what does count against him are those several bad runs of form we endured, even when we had arguably the second best team in the league. That run at Christmas 2013 especially and the ridiculous team he picked against St Johnstone (which since then we probably haven't beaten them?) suggested a manager who had no idea how to turn around things when they were going wrong. This has all but been confirmed this season. Tactically and managerially he has been shown to be utterly clueless - and his signings show a man with no idea what the problem is let alone the solution. A shame, but looking back on it, failing to qualify for Europe without Rangers in the league with that team 2013-14 was an absolute crime.

The folding his arms stuff is shit and I think you know that. You have to be really dense or troubled to think you can judge a manager by the way he stands on the touchline. You've got the gist of it though. We played some wonderful football at times but the backbone was never there. . We were soft as f**k throughout and he wasn't able to convince anyone - players or fans - that he could change that.

The stuff about selling players was just a distraction. Yes we sold a lot of players for a lot of money - and I think he deserves credit for showing these players in such an attractive light - but he also got plenty of backing to replace the guys we lost. McNamara's replacement will inherit a better squad than he himself inherited and will also be coming to a club in a much better financial situation. That's a decent legacy. Shame he couldn't organise a defence worth a f**k.

You are right, but it in a weird way it is a symbolic thing of his issues as a manager, his refusal to change things, his "nothing to do with me" demeanour when questioned about tactics and issues like our defending. Despite it not meaning too much, him standing there motionless on the touchline with his arms folded will be the image I have of him as United manager.

Anyway, I am much more a fan of this style of touchline etiquette so this is the kind of manager I want -

herrera-1.gif.CROP.original-original.gif

anigif_enhanced-4320-1402003743-1.gif

klopp-rage.gif

I couldn't give a toss what the manager does on the sideline, as long as we get results. Jackie certainly is on the particularly permacalm end of the spectrum though, might endear hi.self more to fans if he showed a bit of seethe now and again.

You are right, but it in a weird way it is a symbolic thing of his issues as a manager, his refusal to change things, his "nothing to do with me" demeanour when questioned about tactics and issues like our defending. Despite it not meaning too much, him standing there motionless on the touchline with his arms folded will be the image I have of him as United manager.

Anyway, I am much more a fan of this style of touchline etiquette so this is the kind of manager I want -

anigif_enhanced-4320-1402003743-1.gif

klopp-rage.gif

Klopp's eccy jaw in that last gif.

Herrera is currently out of work after being sacked for fighting with a reporter... Sound familiar?

Sign him up Thommo.

Not sure I agree. Even last year, when we had our best start to the season since the '80s, we were grinding out results, to use a cliche.

Yep. On the whole, we played some awful stuff under him. Absolute myth that we were a "footballing side". He lost more league games than he won, for f**k sake. In the easiest league in years.

Dreadful media darling c**t.

Interesting times ahead. McNamara's departure was long overdue; I bear him no ill will but he just doesn't have what it takes.

The next managerial appointment will be a real test of character for Stephen Thompson, will he revert to a 'safe pair of hands' and the comfort of mid-table mediocrity or will he have the balls to try something more adventurous. Maybe whilst he's mulling potential managerial candidates he might update the fans on the club's financial standing.

Whilst I am unconvinced about some of the recent permanent and loan signings (Bodul and Taggart spring to mind, though they are not alone) I still think we have some talent in the squad that a decent manager could get the most from.

Interesting times ahead. McNamara's departure was long overdue; I bear him no ill will but he just doesn't have what it takes.

The next managerial appointment will be a real test of character for Stephen Thompson, will he revert to a 'safe pair of hands' and the comfort of mid-table mediocrity or will he have the balls to try something more adventurous. Maybe whilst he's mulling potential managerial candidates he might update the fans on the club's financial standing.

Whilst I am unconvinced about some of the recent permanent and loan signings (Bodul and Taggart spring to mind, though they are not alone) I still think we have some talent in the squad that a decent manager could get the most from.

The biggest shock of the weekend - GD returns!

Archived