Dundee United 2015/16 Season

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy bum, I forgot to include Bilate in the striker list. An incoming Ciftci replacement seems even less likely imo, assuming we don't punt Bilate for injury proneness.

Who finally was accepted to be mince by all, many many months, after a certain visionary fan pointed it out 27 times a day, every day

Just putting it out there, I was the first person to say Souttar would be better as a CDM.

I don't even know why Im responding to this.

Are you saying that Dow and Spittal are slow? Erskine isn't exactly lumbering either although not the fastest.

They're not quick at all. Our quickest first team player is probably Butcher or the dumpling that is Anier.

The team is lacking in pace a wee bit since Those Two left, that's for sure.

On another note, I like Spittal. He can get a hard time from fans, but I don't think he's any less effective that the often-lauded Connolly.

The only way we're ever going to get very good players is by developing them ourselves. We can't afford to sign the finished article (except in very limited circumstances - Webster's injury issues etc) and, in any event, they wouldn't come to us anyway. We can go for established mediocrity or give a chance to potential in the hope that it's fulfilled. I'd say that Telfer, Spittal, Souttar and Muirhead have all shown enough to suggest that they'll develop into players every bit as good as GMS and Armstrong. Connolly might too. Going by age and reputation Coote might be the best one yet.

That's a good summation of where we've been and should keep going. Beyond Webster, off the top of my head the only ready-made better-than-good players we've brought in in recent years have been other loans like Weaver, The Mad Monk, and guys trying to rebuild or stoke their careers, like Flood, and arguably Zaluska, Fojut and potentially McGowan. The best have all been brought in young and developed, other than the complete opposite situation between the sticks for some reason.

In the coming 12-18 months, I have high hopes that Souttar and Muirhead will become starting 11 stalwarts, and am ever more fascinated with Spittal (come on Invergowrie Arab, he already looks more of a footballing talent than Duff ever did, no?). I hope Telfer and Connolly can find strength and consistency. Coote, perhaps a season too early. And let's not forget about guys sniffing around like JJ, Smith, Fraser, Spark and Moore, and other seemingly decent prospects like Montgomery, Duke, Souttar Jnr and Lochhead. And Campbell signing on again.

Exciting two or three seasons ahead imo if the fans can once again get fully behind the club and the strategy.

Tele reporting that Fojut is homesick and United won't stand in his way, depending on a decent fee: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-united/dundee-united-defender-jarek-fojut-heading-home-to-poland-1.878645

Pub rumours on other forums suggesting that 33-year old Webster is coming back. Played 71 times for Coventry in the last two seasons, whose PotY this season was Jim O'Brien.

Tele reporting that Fojut is homesick and United won't stand in his way, depending on a decent fee: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-united/dundee-united-defender-jarek-fojut-heading-home-to-poland-1.878645

Pub rumours on other forums suggesting that 33-year old Webster is coming back. Played 71 times for Coventry in the last two seasons, whose PotY this season was Jim O'Brien.

I do love Fojut but his positioning can be a bit erratic at the best of times and although he's a quality player I think our defence would benefit overall from the calming influence and leadership of Webster. A goalkeeper that the defence can trust would probably help too.

Is the mod going to keep an update of who is In/Out and the squad Numbers, contract lengths (eg May 2016) this summer? would be handy for most to read on the OP if it can be done and maintained between now and the end of the season :D .

That's Midge officially away now that he has signed for Ross County on a 2 year deal

Fojut leaving is not bad news.

He's part of an underperforming back line desperately in need of organisational skills that he clearly doesn't provide.

A new centre back was needed, and now we have room on the budget for it.

Archived