Dundee United 2015/16 Season

I think it's fair to say that 2014/15 was a rollercoaster of a season on and off the pitch. Top scorers well into the season, in touch at the top of the table and still in two cups, lauded off the pitch for our 'model approach' to steering the club, destructions of the BNBs, competitive with Aberdeen, and then this happens. The Two Ronnies depart and it's heads gone everywhere. Results plummet. Utopia was apparently Mordor all along, Sauron is bald and Saruman is a till-dipper. 5th place finish, League Cup runners up.

Rumours persist about club ownership and the management team departing.

--------------------

Thoughts on requirements/possible needs per position:

• Keeper +1 - Szromnik surely not ready going by his dev league highlights, rumours of Scott Fox joining, though I'd like to think we're aiming higher. Complete speculation on top of his goal-gifting abilities, but I do wonder how much of our defensive woes in recent years have been due to Rado not being able to guide the four in front of him - McGowan, Fojut, Morris, Dixon, Dillon, Souttar, Townsend was certainly a talented enough bunch of defenders to work with last season.
  • Left-back - Dixon probably the #1 pick, though Dillon and Spark should be pushing him hard.
  • Right-back - McGowan with Dillon back-up. Spittal, Paton and Spark can cover beyond that.
  • Centre-back +1/2 - Rumours of Fojut departing, would leave us with Morris, Dillon and Souttar, no combination of which gives me confidence on a season-long basis, and I'd rather Souttar was kept in midfield. McGowan can cover.
  • Central midfield - If Souttar is still here then him + 1 of Pates, Ranks or Telfer is probably what we're going to see. Smith and Fraser hopefully pressing hard for starts, so I'd be surprised if we made any signings in this position if Souttar stays. Butcher is presumably offski.
  • Left-side attacking midfield - Dow, Spittal, Johnson, Erskine. Can't see us signing anyone else.
  • Right-side attacking midfield +1 - Connolly, Johnson(?), possibly Ciftci. Would like to see a solid starter brought in here if Connolly can't stake a claim consistently.
  • Central attacking midfield +1 - Telfer, Erskine, Ciftci if he's still here. Coote as backup. Would like to see a more experienced, solid playmaker option in here tbh, a proper Armstrong replacement.
  • Striker - Ciftci if he's still here, Muirhead, Bilate, Anier, Murray, Moore, Dow. Potentially weak if Ciftci goes, but perhaps too many bodies already in contention for us to sign anyone else. Fingers crossed that Muirhead keeps putting in good shows, and one of Anier, Murray or Moore kick on.

Anyone know the story behind Darren Petrie being let go? From what I've seen he's had good write-ups from our own and opposition fans who've seen him play this season.

Management-wise, I'm happy to give McNamara more time to develop the squad and himself. I still can't decide whether or not he's, on balance, all things considered, underperformed or done reasonably well in his two years at the club. Would be delighted if Thompson stayed on, assuming his heart is still in it. Whatever happens, I hope the fans and the club can draw a line under the negatives of 2014/15 and move the f**k on, starting today.

Early prediction:

4th place if Souttar and Ciftci stay on and we make solid additions in the summer

6th-8th otherwise

---------------------

UPDATES

---------------------

Michael Gardyne permanent move to Ross County (late May).

Darren Petrie released, picked up by Raith Rovers (29 May).

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Anier will be gone earlier than that. Muirhead is already ahead of him in the queue and Murray's arrival will push him further away from a starting spot. I expect he'll be allowed to leave for free or else packed off on loan.

A new keeper is obviously required plus one or two new centre halfs (depending on whether Fojut stays). If Souttar signs a new deal then we're well covered in midfield with a lot of good young players who will have benefited from getting a lot of games this season. One or two more forwards required to complement Muirhead and Murray. Agree that Moore is more likely to be farmed out on loan again and really needs to score a shitload if he's to have any chance of making the first team at United when he comes back.

Nadir will obviously be gone - the beautiful mental b*****d.

Starters for next year: Souttar, McGowan, Dixon, Telfer, Spittal, Muirhead.

And then you build around that. I think we'll see Coote start a few games pretty early on in the season. Hopefully Fraser too

We desperately need: new manager, keeper, centre half, creative attacking mid and a striker to hopefully replace Anier and Ciftci.

Deeboy loves the word "apparently"More than me.

Apparently, at the POTY last night, Letheren has signed for United. I wasn't there, but it's on FB from numerous folk who were.

Saw that rumour too.

We obviously didn't see much of him in the first division, and he was well ousted by Bain this season. Scout report other than his howler yesterday? An upgrade or downgrade on Rado? I see he only played 15 games in 10 years before arriving at Dundee.

I've been powering my mate for years about Kyle Letthemin, possibly the worst signing the club could make from my point of view. I'll go as far as saying if we sign him "Eh'll no be back".

Some rumours linking Raith with Darren Petrie....what kind of player is he?

He was very highly regarded at United and made his debut in the same game as John Souttar. For whatever reason he hasn't broken through into the first team but has apparently done very well during various loans and in the development squad. Most of us would have expected him to be pushing for a first team place next season but instead he is being freed. From what little I've seen (pre season games) he looks a very decent prospect. He's variously played left back, centre half and midfield in the development squad and I think is a natural midfielder. McKinnon had him on loan at Brechin and so will know him well. Raith's the obvious move. I would expect him to do very well.

Some rumours linking Raith with Darren Petrie....what kind of player is he?

No idea. We all heard he was going to be great, then he never played.

Butcher wants a new contract, but I see no place for him - he did a decent job, but we need better. Paton and Rankin are here for next season, and they are more than enough 'cover' for the midfield berths.

If we can keep hold of Ciftci and Souttar, we just need to add a GK, CB (Webster?), CM (Allan?) and another CM to replace Butcher/Paton/Rankin. I'm not going to identify anyone, but somebody to win the midfield battles and who can pass the ball would be nice.

No idea. We all heard he was going to be great, then he never played.

Butcher wants a new contract, but I see no place for him - he did a decent job, but we need better. Paton and Rankin are here for next season, and they are more than enough 'cover' for the midfield berths.

If we can keep hold of Ciftci and Souttar, we just need to add a GK, CB (Webster?), CM (Allan?) and another CM to replace Butcher/Paton/Rankin. I'm not going to identify anyone, but somebody to win the midfield battles and who can pass the ball would be nice.

There is this player called Paul Paton.......

There is this player called Paul Paton.......

Who finally was accepted to be mince by all, many many months, after a certain visionary fan pointed it out 27 times a day, every day :1eye

Who finally was accepted to be mince by all, many many months, after a certain visionary fan pointed it out 27 times a day, every day :1eye

That's certainly a fair and balanced representation of the majority's thoughts on Paton over the last two years :rolleyes:

Souttar looked outstanding breaking forward, but had his usual defensive brainfart moment that should've led to a Celtic goal. Can we please find a way to fit him into the side either in a back 3/5 or as part of the middle 3 in place of Rankin or Paton or Butcher.

The kid is 18, and has outstanding potential - lets stick by him.

He is not a fecking midfielder either.

Visionary :lol:

Can't resist this from the same thread, sorry Granny:

I think you are living in la la land. Souttar isn't hard working enough for this role; not even close. It would be worth trying it for a couple of games just to show how bad an idea it is.

I agree entirely. Just because a defender is comfortable on the ball and likes to pass it, doesn't make him a midfielder.

:shutup

Realistically, without anyone else going out the door we'll be after a new goalkeeper, a new centre back, maybe a new fullback, a striker and a winger with pace.

I'm a believer in the moneyball approach to building football teams. Motherwell this season suffered because they lost key attributes in certain positions - notably pace - and we've been the same in the second half of the season.

So if we bring in someone who can make opposition teams rethink how they set up against us, then that's crucial.

Archived