Dundee United 2015/16 Season

I may be in the minority here but I think there has been some definite signs of improvement in Durnan of late. If we go down I think he will be one of the better centre halves in the league with another pre-season under his belt.

He started well last night tbf, however once Dixon sold him out a few times, he looked his pish self. If we're to see the best out of Durnan it won't be in this system, especially with Dixon at lwb.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Durnan has impressed me recently. He and Donaldson have both been pretty decent (in fact our back three generally have looked quite good). Last night was so frustrating because we had absolutely f**k all going forward and Mixu wouldn't change it. We were under pressure for large spells but in general the defence coped quite well (barring the usual few moments of madness).

He did have a nearly incredible mazy run in the second half (so did Donaldson for that matter). Our central defenders were the most creative players in the team last night

Sounds like a repeat of the Motherwell game... Surprised Ofere never started.

Sounds like a repeat of the Motherwell game... Surprised Ofere never started.

It was very similar. You would think as a manager if you insist on long balls from the box and big diagonals that you play forwards who have some kind of physical presence and who could battle with the opposition defenders. Murray? Nowhere to be seen. Ofere? Warming up the majority of the game only to get a few minutes. Muirhead? MIA. Even Anier (who to be fair did pretty well) was a more suitable option than Pongolle or even McKay, who by the way, I think is a distinctly average player.

I doubt we will see Pongolle again. Don't think he came out to even sit on the bench in the second half.

It was very similar. You would think as a manager if you insist on long balls from the box and big diagonals that you play forwards who have some kind of physical presence and who could battle with the opposition defenders. Murray? Nowhere to be seen. Ofere? Warming up the majority of the game only to get a few minutes. Muirhead? MIA. Even Anier (who to be fair did pretty well) was a more suitable option than Pongolle or even McKay, who by the way, I think is a distinctly average player.

I doubt we will see Pongolle again. Don't think he came out to even sit on the bench in the second half.

Pongolle's attempted over head kick type thing on the halfway line when he didn't get near the ball, in fact looked he couldn't physically raise his leg, and fell on his arse was a highlight for me.

If United play that formation, with 2 smaller strikers, then all the other team has to do is nullify Dixon/Spittal out wide! That's exactly what Motherwell done, which lead to 3 centre halves plus 2/3 defensive midfielders (Depending on who plays from Fraser/Demel) launching it up to 2 small strikers. Opposition back 4 have an easy game.

The defence as a whole has not looked as shaky recently. Last night they weren't helped by gunning having to take the bye kicks and allowing aberdeens forwards to push right up on top of us and Dixon just being horrendously shite and not providing any help.

Can't believe what's happened to Dixon, remember after he went down south saw him making his debut for Scotland in the draw with Serbia and he was pretty much our best player. Not even a shadow of his former self.

The defence as a whole has not looked as shaky recently. Last night they weren't helped by gunning having to take the bye kicks and allowing aberdeens forwards to push right up on top of us and Dixon just being horrendously shite and not providing any help.

Can't believe what's happened to Dixon, remember after he went down south saw him making his debut for Scotland in the draw with Serbia and he was pretty much our best player. Not even a shadow of his former self.

Good. He's a Judas cunto. IMO.

Archived