Talbot - the benchmark.

TFW

So far, the only club to have won the West of Scotland Cup three times in a row (twice) the Scottish Junior Cup three times, and the Western Super League three times as well. If we win the Junior Cup this year we'll also become the first club to do the Western Super League and Junior Cup double three times an aw - nobody else has done it once yet.

Last three seasons, played 66 league games, Won 54, drawn 7, lost 5.

Keep thinking it can't go on......

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic football club and they deserve all the plaudits coming their way.

I think there was some idiot that did a TV interview saying he thought they were possibly slightly past their best.

Oh aye that was me.

All credit to Tommy Sloan, who does a fantastic job of keeping a squad. who have won everything hungry.

He is a class act.

We really have been spoiled, they simply are the benchmark that other teams can only strive to match!

Special mention to the behind the scenes team that keep the club going, season after season we improve things on and off the pitch!

Talking of The pitch, it looked in superb condition today, not bad for the end of the season!

Got to admire Talbot on and off the park, the benchmark for the Junior grade. Sloan has had some run in charge, not just getting a team to be successful, but to keep going and keep improving/refreshing the squad and not drop their level over the years, mighty impressive. Congratulations and hope you win the Scottish too.

I can't believe I'm actually thinking this but I honestly think that if Talbot win the Scottish that tommy sloan will have to go down as the best manager Talbot have ever had

That's a bold statement j ,different teams different game back then more competitive in wullies era ,fitter teams faster game better parks (usually) in tuckers ,that's a it's all about opinion conversation lol along with picking your talbot best team of all time good luck with that. Lol

I can't believe I'm actually thinking this but I honestly think that if Talbot win the Scottish that tommy sloan will have to go down as the best manager Talbot have ever had

Talbot are fantastic and still winning upon winning however junior fitba is nowhere as good or as competitve now as it was back then, just my opinion having watched both era...the Talbot team that won 3 Scottish in a row were awesome.

Massive effort to keep that run and that hunger going. Huge credit to the manager who clearly knows how to find a player, when to bring in the replacements he needs and how to keep his players motivated. What were Sloan's first couple of years like? Did it ever look like he was biting off more than he could chew?

Massive effort to keep that run and that hunger going. Huge credit to the manager who clearly knows how to find a player, when to bring in the replacements he needs and how to keep his players motivated. What were Sloan's first couple of years like? Did it ever look like he was biting off more than he could chew?

Tucker took over midway through a season we were struggling. We had narrowly avoided relegation the season before and weren't much better that season. He made a few signings and we stayed up.

The following season he improved the team and finished third or fourth (can't quite remember). We have been in the top four every season since.

It's more than just players for me, it's a whole culture/mindset.

Your at beechwood, up 2-0, 2 mins to go and thinking maybe we could get a draw here.

Defo the benchmark

How many players leave Talbot of their own accord ? Very few! They look after their own and even today I saw numerous ex-players in the crowd.

Over the years they have created a winning formula/mindset and I used to hate them for it. When you get a wee bit older you learn to admire it.

Wish glens could find a bit of that.

Tommy's success is bult around rejuvenating the team with relative unknowns and moulding them to the Talbot way. That's the reason he had a look at the likes of Willie Sawyers and said "no thanks" He also keeps a decent sized squad happy, and that's really difficult.

Having said that though, we finished the game today with the mighty midfield four on the park that's been basically the same for the last 10 years - although Latta was playing at right back covering for Willie Lyle, and Spence and White came on as experienced old heads towards the end of the game. Young went off to a great reception.

You get great teams and they inevitably grow old together - as Wullie Knowx's Talbot did, and we had 15 barren years in terms of the Junior Cup after that. This team can't keep going forever, and there will have to be a transition period at some time, but the new young lads that have come in this season already look the part and some are now seasoned players in the Talbot mould, and so, hopefully on it goes.....

Archived