Nicola & the french ambassador (revisited)

Ooooft: aye, I'm sure while overseeing the utter obliteration of his party north of the border, tied with its collapse south of the border as well, Willie Rennie is really focusing on the strong dissent of a no-mark candidate who lost their deposit by a huge margin.

:lol:

He's prob not got that much else to do at the moment to be fair.....

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the most part, I don't think they do.

You don't think people care about what politicians - particularly ones we have elected to make decisions for us - get up to behind closed doors in relation to their jobs and in this case underhand, misleading and downright lying tactics?

This sort of leak is completely fair game and happens all the time.

Well, it fucking shouldn't be?!

You don't think people care about what politicians - particularly ones we have elected to make decisions for us - get up to behind closed doors in relation to their jobs and in this case underhand, misleading and downright lying tactics?

I don't think the overwhelming majority of Scots, and for that matter Shetlanders and Orcadians, give a f**k about what memos do and don't leak in the Scotland Office and who played what role in making or allowing that to, happen.

Well, it fucking shouldn't be?!

Why not? Leaking is good. We should have a lot more of it. The biggest irony here is that this is such an innocuous and politically inept one.

Apparently liberal values are getting more liberal. You're given a position of responsibility that gives you access to confidential information and you release it to the press for political gain. Who cares, everyone does it. Then when you're asked where the leak came from, you say "I know, but I'm not telling." Why bother fessing up before an election? Then some cnut finds a phone and nails you. Ok, I did it, but as a Minister, not as an MP. As an MP I'm entirely innocent. The Lib Dems gather around to support you. RIP Lib Dems.

I don't think the overwhelming majority of Scots, and for that matter Shetlanders and Orcadians, give a f**k about what memos do and don't leak in the Scotland Office and who played what role in making or allowing that to, happen.

Why not? Leaking is good. We should have a lot more of it. The biggest irony here is that this is such an innocuous and politically inept one.

Have to say I'm wi libby on this one.

The more leaks the better. Git it right up the lot o them ( I include the SNP)

I also agree Carmichael should retain his MP status.

He will remimd the folk of orkney and shetland of the lies that were told them.

Coming perilously close here to claiming that voters don't give a toss what MPs get up to.

For the most part, I don't think they do.

You're wrong, as you'll discover should you ever come close to winning a seat, and this thread comes back to bite you in the arse.

Really quite worrying that you don't seem to see a problem here, especially as you're going down party lines by accusing SNP supporters of being 'at it'. There's no doubt you'd be singing a different tune if Carmichael was a member of a different party.

If they didn't think they could win a by-election I don't think the SNP would be kicking up anything like the fuss about this that they are.

This comes across as a tacit admission that you would be singing a different tune if Carmichael wasn't a fellow Lib Dem, but that it's OK because all the parties would do the same.

They're 'kicking up a fuss' because your boy Carmichael has revealed himself to be immoral and likes a wee abuse of power when it suits him. If you're not hearing much from Labour and the Tories, it's because it suited them too. No wonder you've all had your arses handed to you in spectacular style.

Have to say I'm wi libby on this one.

The more leaks the better. Git it right up the lot o them ( I include the SNP)

I also agree Carmichael should retain his MP status.

He will remimd the folk of orkney and shetland of the lies that were told them.

Sorry, but selective leaks for personal gain have nothing to do freedom of information. When those in power release information, true or not, about their opposition while covering up their own indiscretions, nobody's "getting it right up them" but the electorate.

Pretty amusing to see people saying I'm taking the party line. If any of you were ever to have a five minute conversation with Willie Rennie about me you'd know he seems to do nothing but despair at my utter refusal to take the party line.

Willie Rennie type reaction to Ad Lib

I kind of feel a wee bit for the lad, he's defending the indefensible.

Sorry pal but that's a stupid post on so many levels. The facts are 1. Carmichael's actions ARE indefensible, and 2. AdLib should not be trying to defend them - the fact that he is doing so is purely his choice.

I don't understand where the sympathy comes from.

His party is in the verge of extinction. It's like watching the last white rhino tap dance through a minefield.

I would love if this were the case, sadly it's not. People, including those in Scotland, will vote LibDem again in the future; though I suspect it will take a long time for them to become a credible force again. In some respects their rebuilding job will be easier than Labour's as there is not the same ideological differences (real or imagined) as there is in the Labour Party.

For those of us not wishing to wade through 4 pages, what are Ad Nauseum's excuses for Carmichael lying and wasting public money?

I've not spoken to him since a few days after the election but my instinct is Carmichael won't resign his seat. A lot of misdemeanours can be grounds, cause or justification for resigning your ministerial post but not your seat. This is one of them.

People saying he's deceived the electorate in Orkney and Shetland by previously denying any connection to the leak are slightly "at it". I strongly suspect most of them are SNP supporters not from the constituency or people who would have voted SNP anyway within it.

Very few voters in the constituency, let alone for Carmichael, could really give a toss who did or didn't leak what and then did or didn't deny any involvement in relation to a memo that itself amounted to a he said she said nothing story. His denial of involvement did not save him hundreds of votes. It wasn't the difference between him holding and not holding the seat.

There's no question he was stupid to permit his SpAd to leak this to the Telegraph. If for no other reason than even if the contents of the memo had held up it would have benefited Labour and not the Liberal Democrats, and could only harm him and the Lib Dems if it unravelled. Amateur hour.

I see.

So no mention of the fact that he lied when he initially said that he first knew about it when he saw it in the paper, knowing all along he authorised it's release?

Good to know Ad Lib is happy to have a shameless liar as a colleague.

Archived