French Open Tennis

Loki

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely tremendous from Wawrinka today. Feared for him a couple of times but he was consistent enough to get it done. Got to admit I'm delighted for him.

Eurosport attributing Djokovic's loss in part to having to play yesterday. Seems a bit unfair on Stan, to be honest.

Pish imo, he played a set and a half of tennis yesterday, he'd have spent more time on the practice court if he hadn't been playing.

Always been a big Stan fan so i'm delighted for him, Djokovic was a little below par and i think it could have been closer if he played like he did in the 5th set against Andy yesterday, but when Wawrinka plays lights out tennis hitting winners from all corners of the court there isn't much you can do, fantastic talent.

Have to say i think this bodes well for Andy at Wimbledon, Djokovic would have had his tail up and going for the "Year grand slam" but i think this will have dented is confidence a great deal.

I've already put money on Andy Murray winning Wimbledon. Not great odds, but 4/1 was better than nothing. He's a much better grass court player than he is on clay. I'd say after Federer he's the most natural grass court player there is and I just don't think Federer is able to keep up with that pair right now. All today has shown is that the way to beat Djokovic is to knock him off the court. It takes some doing to do t for 3 sets though, so fair play to Wawrinka today, he was immense. It's a game Murray can't play, but 8/10 it'll end in defeat, which is why Wawrinka will never reach the top 4 levels.

I've already put money on Andy Murray winning Wimbledon. Not great odds, but 4/1 was better than nothing. He's a much better grass court player than he is on clay. I'd say after Federer he's the most natural grass court player there is and I just don't think Federer is able to keep up with that pair right now. All today has shown is that the way to beat Djokovic is to knock him off the court. It takes some doing to do t for 3 sets though, so fair play to Wawrinka today, he was immense. It's a game Murray can't play, but 8/10 it'll end in defeat, which is why Wawrinka will never reach the top 4 levels.

He's currently ranked four and has been as high as three.

He's currently ranked four and has been as high as three.

Not what I meant to be honest. I was more going for the fact he'll never be as naturally talented and consistent in order to sustain the pressure that the four have for so long.

His rise in the ranking coincided with injuries. Otherwise he'd never be up there.

Didn`t see that coming. Excellent win for Stan.

If Andy had beaten Novak and then lost to Stan today I suspect he would have got a huge amount of stick no matter how well Stan had played.

As well as Wawrinka played Djokovic was poor. The depth on his shots just wasn't there, allowing Wawrinka to just rip his back hand and fore hand down the line and cross court. Djokovic didn't look to attack the second serve, and the breaks he did get Wawrinka surrendered quite easily. Djokovic couldn't paint the lines as he did against Murray. Novak only hit 30 winners but his unforced error count was 41.

As Novak as a multiple Grand Slam champion, it is easier to accept that Wawrinka was brilliant and he wasn't poor. If Murray had played the exact same match he would have been slated. Although the tactics Murray has used throughout the clay season would have seen him fare better against Wawrinka today.

Anyone know where I can catch the full game without going down the pirate route? The one on ITV/STV annoyingly starts from the 2nd set!

Also, I remember hearing that Nadal's drops to 11th if Stan won RG, how does that affect his seeding in Wimbledon?

Anyone know where I can catch the full game without going down the pirate route? The one on ITV/STV annoyingly starts from the 2nd set!

Also, I remember hearing that Nadal's drops to 11th if Stan won RG, how does that affect his seeding in Wimbledon?

Nadal was spared dropping out of the top 10 by Tsonga losing to Wawrinka in the semi finals. Nadal isn't going to be seeded in the top eight for Wimbledon. He could be out of the top 10 seeds at Wimbledon due to his low grass points from the last two years and Dimitrov having a superb grass season last year. But Nadal is playing two grass tournaments before Wimbledon, so he could still push on if he scored some big points.

Archived