The 2015/16 Hibernian F.C. Championship Thread

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copied from the Hibernian Retro Facebook page:

Famous Five Statue

“There has been talk for many years amongst the supporters of Hibernian Football Club about having a Famous Five statue at Easter Road stadium, but for one reason or another this has failed to materialise. Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnstone, Lawrie Reilly, Eddie Turnbull and Willie Ormond all whom have been inducted into the Scottish Football Hall of Fame are fully deserving of a statue in their memory and the time has come for the supporters of Hibernian FC to make this happen.

The statue will be created by renowned Edinburgh sculpture Alan Herriot, a lifelong Hibernian FC supporter who has produced countless sculptures in his 36-year career, including a life-size bronze statue of Scottish football legend Denis Law inspired by him scoring for Scotland in a famous 3-2 victory against then world champion England in 1967 at Wembley, which was unveiled at Aberdeen Sports Village in 2012 and his latest work Wojtek The Polish Soldier Bear, in Princes Street Gardens. Every stage of the production of The Famous Five statue will be documented both in film and photograph and shared across all our media channels, as well as on the Hibernian Retro website which is currently under construction.

“The costs to produce the bronze statue of The Famous Five is to be £200,000 which is a huge amount of money to try and raise. We have envisaged that it could take around 2 years to raise the money, so the sooner we start fund raising, the sooner we will all be standing outside Easter Road looking up at The Famous Five. A full costing breakdown will become available in due course.

The fundraising campaign will be 100% supporter led and will officially launch on the weekend of March 5th to coincide with the home match against The Rangers, when we will be distributing flyers to the supporters in and around the stadium. We will also launch a crowdfunding page the same day.

In terms of the fund raising amounts, it will not matter how much people can contribute individually or collectively, every single penny is going to count.“Every single person who donates to the project will be acknowledged in a commemorative booklet to be released around the time of the statue’s unveiling. “Supporters with fundraising ideas or planned events will be given full exposure across all our social media channels and on the Hibernian Retro website. Anybody who would like to be involved in the campaign at this stage, please email: info@hibernianretro.com

We will leave the final words on the statue for the moment to Mr Hibs Pat Stanton.

Pat Stanton Quote: I was at a game at Easter Road with Lawrie and a supporter asked Lawrie if he could think of anyone else that could get in the Team that he played in? Lawrie said to him that Pat would get in to that team" coming from someone like Lawrie Reilly and having stood in the terracing as a boy that was really something! To Think that you would get a game with a team which included the Famous Five for a Hibs supporter is a real honour. Thoughts On Statue: I cannot think of any other group of players deserving of such an honour.

GGTTH

The only way Hibs fans would raise 200k or anything near it would be if we suffered an administration. No chance they will get that in 2 years. I'd like to see me proved wrong however because they deserve a statue. post-48628-14536746175703_thumb.jpg

I also wouldn't have the statue there. Why not in the main stand carpark or in the space behind the east stand? More chance Of it being vandalised if it's out on the street.

The only way Hibs fans would raise 200k or anything near it would be if we suffered an administration. No chance they will get that in 2 years. I'd like to see me proved wrong however because they deserve a statue. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1453674616.437062.jpg

I also wouldn't have the statue there. Why not in the main stand carpark or in the space behind the east stand? More chance Of it being vandalised if it's out on the street.

Hibs don't own the car park in the main stand.

I think that's the only place it could go, surely folk and aren't that disturbed they'd desecrate a memorial statue?

Hibs don't own the car park in the main stand.

I think that's the only place it could go, surely folk and aren't that disturbed they'd desecrate a memorial statue?

If people can rob the homes of those evacuated in the flooding then people can and will desecrate memorials. Every club has at least a handful of supporters that are a shame to humanity

Archived