An Independent Scotland must focus on education. MUST.

Mr Bairn

This thread is about what would happen after independence not a debate on whether or not it would be a good idea. We have enough of those :lol:

No we haven't.

I agree with the thread title. I am also interested in the discussion as my weans are being educated in England

The sad thing is that the rest of the post is utter self-aggrandising shite

Your avatar makes me want to vomit. That is all.

Kev quoting the right win, agenda driven press again. Quelle surprise.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the thread title. I am also interested in the discussion as my weans are being educated in England

The sad thing is that the rest of the post is utter self-aggrandising shite

Evidently not interested enough to contribute...

"I'm interested because it doesn't apply to my family..." :rolleyes:

So you are describing someone who gets a degree that is above average as "mediocre"

You appear to want to have some sort of master race where only people with a first degree can have a job

So you are describing someone who gets a degree that is above average as "mediocre"

You appear to want to have some sort of master race where only people with a first degree can have a job

If that means that those of us who do not have a first class degree wouldn't need to work i'm all in favour of it.

I have four 'O' grades and a bronze award in swimming. i just post that so folk can feel superior.

If that means that those of us who do not have a first class degree wouldn't need to work i'm all in favour of it.

I have four 'O' grades and a bronze award in swimming. i just post that so folk can feel superior.

I'm there with you brother, although I got six 'O' Grades.

If a 2:1 is mediocre, I dread to think what adjective would be used to describe myself.

I feel as if I should just end my life now. It's been nice knowing y'all

I'm there with you brother, although I got six 'O' Grades.

If a 2:1 is mediocre, I dread to think what adjective would be used to describe myself.

I feel as if I should just end my life now. It's been nice knowing y'all

TBF, you probably lack the intelligence to be able to end your life. :P

Now if only you had some life experience of being a mass murderer, you would be so much better qualified.

TBF, you probably lack the intelligence to be able to end your life. :P

Now if only you had some life experience of being a mass murderer, you would be so much better qualified.

True I would probably try and slit my wrists with a rubber knife.

Do they offer degrees in Mass Murder? If I got a first in that I would be adequately qualified to carry out the sorry deed.

Think I need to look up a few uni prospectuses. Mind you knowing my luck I would only get a 2:1 and only have the credentials to be able to seriously wound myself.

With school pass rates down, exam presentations down, college places down, University access more of a closed shop than in England from the perspective of the disadvantaged and some of the lowest maintenance grants in Europe...

I think Scotland needs to take a hard look at its education system irrespective of its constitutional arrangements.

I wouldn't call a 2:1 above average to be honest. I don't know what it was like years ago, but on my course the vast majority graduated with 2:1s, and from the people who got degrees from my school year most got 2:1s.

These days coming out with a 2:2 is a bit of a disaster.

In 2013-14 according to HESA, 72% of full-time students graduating did so with a first or upper-second in the UK.

A 2:1 certainly is mediocre academically. So many people attain that grade that it is fast becoming meaningless.

A 2:1 is now where the 2:2 used to be 20-30 years ago.

It's not me saying that.

It's a combination of business and also any number of performance indicators comparing the UK to other countries.

We are lagging behind a substantial number of other countries on all academic and business indicators and we're getting worse.

You can't keep ignoring evidence because it doesn't suit your point of view.

Really ? I'd say it's harder to get a 2:1 in the subject I'm studying than it is to get a 1st in the subject you studied.

A 2:1 certainly is mediocre academically. So many people attain that grade that it is fast becoming meaningless.

A 2:1 is now where the 2:2 used to be 20-30 years ago.

It's not me saying that.

It's a combination of business and also any number of performance indicators comparing the UK to other countries.

We are lagging behind a substantial number of other countries on all academic and business indicators and we're getting worse.

You can't keep ignoring evidence because it doesn't suit your point of view.

My point of view is that having a degree is not the be all and end all. Many talented people successfully forge a career without one. You obviously think otherwise.

As for chips on shoulders I think you should leave that particular line as you are notorious around here for having the biggest one on Pie and Bovril about young people.

I think Scotland needs to take a hard look at its education system irrespective of its constitutional arrangements.

Libby, which parts do you think need addressing? This is a genuine question. I did my Highers in Motherwell and my degree in London.

What should be addressed? The school system (all comprehensive) or the exam system (doing a lot of subjects before Uni)?

University for too many young adults has become a lifestyle choice rather than a chosen career path. It isn't a sustainable model, neither as an investment for the Country or in the Individual student.

I wouldn't call a 2:1 above average to be honest. I don't know what it was like years ago, but on my course the vast majority graduated with 2:1s, and from the people who got degrees from my school year most got 2:1s.

These days coming out with a 2:2 is a bit of a disaster.

Prospective employers looking at the 2:2 on your CV know that you've had 3 hard years on the piss !!

Archived