Albion Rovers Transfers and Closed Season Thread

At the moment the news that i have is:

Full-backs Kyle Turnbull and Josh Mullin and midfielders Gary Fisher and Ally Love have all agreed new one-year contracts with hitman John Gemmell already on the books.

Now the club hopes to retain the services of keeper Neil Parry and the central-defensive duo of Mick and Ross Dunlop.

However, forward Mark McGuigan looks set to accept an offer from Stranraer chief Stevie Aitken.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumoured to be going to the pars

I sat next to his Mum and gf at last home game so had to temper my criticism - I have previous for that. He's 21, released by Kilmarnock, so Johnston will know him. For us: he looked like a player when he arrived around Xmas then slumped into some dismal form. A few good games near the end of the season and clearly is Sandy Clark's work-in-progress. There is a good player in there, I think, but I won't miss him, tbh.

McGuigan signed for Stranraer tonight, decent?

Aye, but I'm not sure that's a great move for him. I expect both of our teams will be scrapping at the foot of the division next season - the cyclical nature of low league Scottish teams.

Aye, but I'm not sure that's a great move for him. I expect both of our teams will be scrapping at the foot of the division next season - the cyclical nature of low league Scottish teams.

I had that prediction for Stranraer last year ...

Happy for people to expect that - this will be the third year in a row that people have expected this of us.

With all due respect and also not a hint of bias, I cannot see Stranraer being in any sort of relegation battle next season. Given where we've finished last 2 seasons and the similar, possibly ultimately improved squad we list then I struggle to see how such a judgement if us struggling can be made.

Class act, tho maybe can't kick the ball high enough in the air for some on here

A "class act" - what a shite cliche by the way - who couldn't break into the Kilmarnock team. My problem with him wasn't how high he could kick the ball; rather how frequently his passes failed to reach teammates. But as I said above, there is a decent player in there and I wish him well if he gets a full-time gig. I'll follow his career with interest and hope he feels the Rovers have contributed to his development.

I'm glad to see some core players re-signing, but I can't understand why Ally Love has been signed while we release the two members of last year's squad with Second Division winners' medals, along with Gary Phillips, who was one of our best players the last time we were in this league.

I believe that Gary Fisher did enough last term to earn a place in our squad, but only as a fringe player at best. He'll probably get found out against decent opposition, particularly for his lack of pace. I would have preferred Ross Davidson- although Nathan Blockley would be an upgrade on either.

Good luck to Mark McGuigan and our friends in Wigtownshire.

Archived