Motherwell v Hibs / Rangers - Play Off Final

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Motherwell need to absolutely shitfest this

Oddly, Pittodrie has been the only place we've managed to do that with any success over the past 4 or 5 years - any other time we try it, we get pumped.

Oddly, Pittodrie has been the only place we've managed to do that with any success over the past 4 or 5 years - any other time we try it, we get pumped.

'Well tend to do the same as Killie - set up to counter the opposition. E.G. Rangers are playing diamond so we'll play 5 in the midfield. You have pace and power on the wings and a good floating player in wee Skippy - go to your strengths and it could be fairly even.

I'd love to see Skippy's reaction if he scores the winner!

I'll be fucking gutted if we lose, but it usually wears off pretty quickly. Was surprised a how raging I was on how the second last week of the season unfolded. Usually doesn't affect me that much.

I honestly have no idea how my mental state will cope if we lose. I've not prepared at all for impending defeat.

It's more likely than not that we're down and so I'm prepared for that part already (and as I've never seen us outside the top league - I'm right up for next season if that happens). What I'm not prepared for is losing the play-off in some horrible way (humiliating pumping/last minute winner/dodgy ref decision) - if we lose it in a prosaic way as Hibs did, then I'll be over it by Monday morning..

We finished 11th for a reason and that is that we are a poor side, who despite having umpteen chances to get ourselves out of danger, failed to step up to the plate when it really mattered.

Then you throw into the mix that it's a team that calls themselves Rangers and plays at Ibrox that we will be facing, and that gives the majority of Motherwell fans a sense of foreboding dread. I don't know if you are aware of this, but Motherwell have not beaten 'Rangers' (old or new) since the 26th December 2002 when a teenage James McFadden scored the winning goal, and ever since that day we have done nothing against Rangers except bottle it and make utter c***s of ourselves, regardless of how well we were playing, how good a side we had, or how poorly they were playing at the time. I'm sure I heard someone say once pre-2012 that Rangers could go into liquidation and die and we still wouldn't be able to beat them.......and guess what? They did, and we still couldn't. We rolled up at Ibrox in September of 2012 as SPL league leaders, unbeaten and faced them struggling in the third division, having just lost to QoS in the Challenge Cup, with half their big earners missing and yet we still managed to shit the nest and lose 2-0 without mustering a shot on target.

The sad reality is, that Motherwell do not beat 'Rangers'. Oldco, newco, Sevco or whateverco and we certainly do not win at Ibrox. And that is why Motherwell fans are not up for this tie.

I believe Motherwell will win the second leg at Fir Park so if they draw tonight they're as good as through. Football is full of stats that say Team A hasn't beaten Team B for 30 years+ but lots of clubs would have fallen into that category against the kinds of player Rangers used to have.

Saw Motherwell play a couple of times at home, including the destruction of St Mirren, and I think they are superior in the striking department to Rangers.

I believe Motherwell will win the second leg at Fir Park so if they draw tonight they're as good as through. Football is full of stats that say Team A hasn't beaten Team B for 30 years+ but lots of clubs would have fallen into that category against the kinds of player Rangers used to have.

Saw Motherwell play a couple of times at home, including the destruction of St Mirren, and I think they are superior in the striking department to Rangers.

It's worth remembering that that same Motherwell team lost to 2-1 against St Mirren in Paisley a matter of weeks later, there only goal coming from a dodgy penalty.

It's a case of what Motherwell team decides to show up.

I'm surprised as well that Motherwell fans appear to think that they are beaten before the match kicks off. They may well be right however in my eyes it's going to be marginal again and as I've said before Motherwell could well give Rangers defence a problem. Definitely more dangerous up front than Hibs.

No need for any of us to panic. Did Sevco and their fans not say at the beginning of the "journey" that if they made it back to the top league, they would refuse to take up their place as a GIRUY to the teams in the top league after they stabbed them in the back. Surely they will keep to their promise, being a fine, upstanding 3 year old football club........Nurse!!!

Archived