How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

This.

Anyone going to an airport who is not prepared for long queues, officious twats and rip-off prices overlaid by a general air of despair is seriously setting themselves up for disappointment

You would love LAX.

This.

Anyone going to an airport who is not prepared for long queues, officious twats and rip-off prices overlaid by a general air of despair is seriously setting themselves up for disappointment

I agree in general with this, but T2 & T3 in Dubai are actually quite enjoyable experiences, T3 is exclusively emirates and everything runs very smoothly from Check-in to departure, they used to be a little slow on arrival at immigration but have recently installed scan machines which is great for residents and reduces queues at the counters to help out with waiting times for tourists.

T2 is fantastic, from arriving at the door to sitting having breakfast at the departure gate was 10 mins.

T1 in the other hand is exactly as you describe and is soul destroying.

I've only used Edinburgh once and it wasn't too bad, I preferred it to Glasgow actually.

I flew out of Edinburgh this morning.

In the past I thought it was alright. But the check in hall is far too narrow.

The security is a bit pish, what's the point of doing 6 people at a time rather than the tried and tested normal queue that everywhere else has

Went to meet folk from the Doha flight today. It landed at 1247, they got out with their bags at 1411. Ticket for pick up zone in car park £11.23. Fly into Glasgow folks

Baggage delivery at EDI is a fuckin shambles. You're lucky if you're waiting less than half an hour for the bags to start...

It never used to be that bad. OK so it used to be slower if you started, say, in The US and had your luggage booked through a connecting flight - and you used to have to collect it from a different conveyor - but I can't recall it taking more that another 5/10 minutes.

Went to meet folk from the Doha flight today. It landed at 1247, they got out with their bags at 1411. Ticket for pick up zone in car park £11.23. Fly into Glasgow folks

At Glasgow they charge you for picking up these days as well. Your best to park at the BP garage on the airport boundary and wait for them to clear immigration. Save yourself a small fortune.

I've never had a long delay with baggage at Edinburgh. Not to say others haven't but it seems to be luck of the draw. I'm sure that's true for other airports, especially when more than one flight lands at the same time.

The real problem is that they put all the budget airlines (who tend to have the poorest customer service and generate the longest lines) right in front of the main doors at departures, which creates a horrible looking bottle neck. If they put those check in desks right down at the far end, I'm sure people's first impressions would be a lot better.

Flew back into Edinburgh about 5 last night and the security queue was being managed downstairs. They've now got a full area downstairs with winding queue management structure in place and staff managing the component parts. So someone at the top of the escalator, someone at the bottom and someone at the front end of this holding pen from which blocks of folk are released periodically. This is all before you get anywhere near the actual security hall.

What they have in place is completely inadequate when set against original redesign. It's the price of progress though - they've shoehorned more retail space in so you can wander through shite you don't fuckin need and take longer to get to where you actually want to go.

Wankers.

Had the displeasure of landing at Gatwick as few weeks ago. Don't moan about Edinburgh unless you tried to negotiate Gatwick recently.

Saying that the time it takes to leave any UK airport is bugger all when compared to the US, it regularly takes 2 hours from landing at Houston to picking up a hire car.

Flying from Edinburgh on Sunday. Been booked into the Aspire Executive Lounge (suits you, sir), anyone ever been there?

I've been in once was decent. I was an early flight so it was all croissant and fancy stuff so I stuck to bottles of bud and Jacobs crackers

Would be tremendous if it finally went ahead.

They've been talking about for the last 10 years, from what I've heard it's only 10 minutes from Check-in to being on the plane @ Riverside.

FWIW I also think the new Security set-up @ Edinburgh is shite.

Edit: HIAL would have to spend £2.5-£3.5million to make Dundee an International Airport, installing more sophisticated CCTV and improving the concourse. Better Security and the like.

Edited by Marr1

They've been talking about for the last 10 years, from what I've heard it's only 10 minutes from Check-in to being on the plane @ Riverside.

FWIW I also think the new Security set-up @ Edinburgh is shite.

And you can walk to the airport from the town centre, great wee airport. The Inverness to Amsterdam flights are doing well. Last time I flew from Dundee I was sat next to Billie Piper. She never even gave me a tug, stuck up cow.