How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

Guest ICTFCwife

I went through three times last month no problems at all. All early morning flights was through security each time very quickly,no issues at all at Edinburgh airport. 

• 2 weeks later...

They've moved the pick up point about as far away from the terminal as they can. Away from the multi-storey and the other side of the park and ride bus stances. Great fun with a big suitcase, three holdalls, my mum in a manual wheelchair and my going-senile dad insisting we were going the wrong way.

c***s. Why can't they just leave things the way they were?

3 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

They've moved the pick up point about as far away from the terminal as they can. Away from the multi-storey and the other side of the park and ride bus stances. Great fun with a big suitcase, three holdalls, my mum in a manual wheelchair and my going-senile dad insisting we were going the wrong way.

c***s. Why can't they just leave things the way they were?

Hope you make a formal and detailed complaint, that's shite. They could at least have convenient spot for disabled only pick ups. 

Just looked it up and it's temporary while they f**k up re-do the multi-storey with another overly complicated design -

https://www.edinburghairport.com/inside-edi/for-passengers/temporary-change-to-where-you-pick-up-passengers-from-terminal-what-you-need

Temporary pickup zone location

Pickup dropoff project aerial

Seems to me they allow any spotted Herbert with a degree in graph paper an opportunity to screw around at the airport. 

• 2 weeks later...

I flew out of there last Sunday with Ryanair, I was flying out with work, hoping that it wouldn't be too busy. I had the car park booked at the other side of the multi-story. It wasn't signposted but the email conformation said that if I parked in the wrong car park I'd be charged a full days rate as well as paying my pre-booked space. It's like a massive game now, to try and avoid paying a massive unexpected fee whether it is excess baggage weight or the one bag maximum or the car parking. 

The Ryanair bag drop in is a shambles when it is busy, one person checking passports for some reason, not helping folk work out what they are meant to do as it is now self service. 
Loads of folk in a fluster trying to work the machines, then finding out they have to pay £40 odd quid because their bag is too big and having a tantrum at a machine because there isn't a person to listen to it. 

There is no guidance to tell you what to do with your bag once you print out the label. Just folk milling about looking confused. Turns out you have to put them on the baggage carousel in the next hall yourself. 

The security moved quite quickly, huge queues but they kept moving. 

At the gate, they were announcing last call before the crew had arrived, boarded the whole flight before the crew arrived meaning everyone was on the walkway for 20 minutes. Once the crew arrived, they let us out the walkway to stand on the tarmac for another 20 minutes while the crew got ready. 

21 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I flew out of there last Sunday with Ryanair, I was flying out with work, hoping that it wouldn't be too busy. I had the car park booked at the other side of the multi-story. It wasn't signposted but the email conformation said that if I parked in the wrong car park I'd be charged a full days rate as well as paying my pre-booked space. It's like a massive game now, to try and avoid paying a massive unexpected fee whether it is excess baggage weight or the one bag maximum or the car parking. 

The Ryanair bag drop in is a shambles when it is busy, one person checking passports for some reason, not helping folk work out what they are meant to do as it is now self service. 
Loads of folk in a fluster trying to work the machines, then finding out they have to pay £40 odd quid because their bag is too big and having a tantrum at a machine because there isn't a person to listen to it. 

There is no guidance to tell you what to do with your bag once you print out the label. Just folk milling about looking confused. Turns out you have to put them on the baggage carousel in the next hall yourself. 

The security moved quite quickly, huge queues but they kept moving. 

At the gate, they were announcing last call before the crew had arrived, boarded the whole flight before the crew arrived meaning everyone was on the walkway for 20 minutes. Once the crew arrived, they let us out the walkway to stand on the tarmac for another 20 minutes while the crew got ready. 

The calling the flight before it's ready to board is a nonsense.  25 mins stood in a stairwell last summer after they called the flight long before it was actually anywhere near prepared.  (Easyjet on that occasion)

21 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I thought Ryanair were getting better at that, obviously not in your case. Hope they're not going back to the bad old days of perching on a stair or the tarmac for half an hour before the plane's even landed, last few times have been fine for me.

Edited by welshbairn

Considering a trip to Paris over New Year, Easyjet from Glasgow is about £80 cheaper each than EDI for the dates we want, but a slightly further drive.  How does departing from Glasgow compare as an experience to Edinburgh at the moment?  I haven't flown from Glasgow since 2012

2 hours ago, O_Kahn said:

Considering a trip to Paris over New Year, Easyjet from Glasgow is about £80 cheaper each than EDI for the dates we want, but a slightly further drive.  How does departing from Glasgow compare as an experience to Edinburgh at the moment?  I haven't flown from Glasgow since 2012

Having done both a few times recently no real difference between the two. I marginally prefer Edinburgh's departure lounge, Glasgow wins for facilities pre security, and at Glasgow at least you don't have to carry your case from check in to a belt 10 metres away.

Never had any problems at either security, but Glasgow seems to be a better layout. At peak times I can see why Edinburgh gets a bad rep

Glasgow just shades it for me, but all based on my personal experience, just in case all hell breaks loose when you are there!

Security are crabbit gets sometimes. Saw one of them take a bag from the "rejected" section post scanner and announce "Whose is this?" (no please). A wee woman sheepishly put her hand up only for the big lad to bellow, "Tell me I'm not going to find liquid in this!", totally affronting the woman.

Horrible abuse of power over someone who was already probably nervous. 

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Security are crabbit gets sometimes. Saw one of them take a bag from the "rejected" section post scanner and announce "Whose is this?" (no please). A wee woman sheepishly put her hand up only for the big lad to bellow, "Tell me I'm not going to find liquid in this!", totally affronting the woman.

Horrible abuse of power over someone who was already probably nervous. 

Poor lad was probably fed up with stupid c***s being stupid c***s and lost his cool slightly,  something absolutely forgivable in anyone who deals with the public.  Quite frankly they should be allowed abit more,  we can be a bit silly in how much we expect people to bite their tongues just cos they’re at work.

The reason security at the airport takes too long most of the time is due to this sort of idiocy,  it would make the experience better for everyone if idiots got called out more often.

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Poor lad was probably fed up with stupid c***s being stupid c***s and lost his cool slightly,  something absolutely forgivable in anyone who deals with the public.  Quite frankly they should be allowed abit more,  we can be a bit silly in how much we expect people to bite their tongues just cos they’re at work.

The reason security at the airport takes too long most of the time is due to this sort of idiocy,  it would make the experience better for everyone if idiots got called out more often.

Airport security can either be really lovely helpful friendly people or complete arseholes. Was going through heathrow on Tuesday (yet another delayed BA flight) when we went through security, the guy barked something at me about the weans pushchair, I said ‘well its not clear what you want me to do’ (thats it) and he started moaning about ‘being aggressive’, when he was the aggressive one. Absolutely no time for people who act like an arsehole and then the victim. 
Had a really decent security experience at LAX and Glasgow on the other flights in our holiday, would say that BA flights out of Glasgow, get there early as f**k because they have no where near enough staff on. Id love to see Scotlands premier central belt city airport get better transatlantic links than it has, the loss of virgin to the vastly inferior capital in name only was a big loss. 

14 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Can't agree I'm afraid. Yes, working with the public is frustrating but loud humiliation of one woman for maybe making a mistake won't solve that and is unfair on that individual. As for biting our tongue, that's a basic decency thing in the case I was referring to. Quite simply he was crabbit and running his mouth just because he could.