How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

• 4 weeks later...

It really is a joke. Get off the plane, get on a bus to transport you 100 yards, get off the bus, walk up a set of stairs, down another set of stairs, down a long corridor, arrive at a hospital white customs area where 5 people stand around doing absolutely nothing before you enter an already scuffed up and worn looking baggage reclaim.

Even the small Asian airports shit all over it. There’s been absolutely no thought put into layout or design.

Still a shambles. Couple of flights landing at the same time and the queue for the passport gates was out of the barrier room, up the stairs and round the corridor to the gate. 90 mins to get through, no toilets or seats. They were picking out those with kids to go through the manned gates. Then the bags still not arrived on the carousels.

Edited by Cyclizine

On 09/10/2022 at 11:18, Cyclizine said:

Still a shambles. Couple of flights landing at the same time and the queue for the passport gates was out of the barrier room, up the stairs and round the corridor to the gate. 90 mins to get through, no toilets or seats. They were picking out those with kids to go through the manned gates. Then the bags still not arrived on the carousels.

Had exactly the same at Luton last week. Funny thing was security was excellent flying out so it has to be down to the Border Force, under manned or working to rule or something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2022 at 20:35, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thats Virgin cancelled their Orlando service from Edinburgh, should never have switched from Glasgow. 

Not entirely true - they've cancelled a few weeks affecting mainly the Easter holidays, which is a bit shit, but they're back for the summer season.

Have to say I was expecting the worst using that exact service over the October holidays, but in fact the security queue outbound was non existent - literally all nine of us through in about two minutes - and we were straight in to a table for some food in departures. On the way back no queue at passport control at all and only a short wait for the bags. All in all a very good experience.

4 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Not entirely true - they've cancelled a few weeks affecting mainly the Easter holidays, which is a bit shit, but they're back for the summer season.

Have to say I was expecting the worst using that exact service over the October holidays, but in fact the security queue outbound was non existent - literally all nine of us through in about two minutes - and we were straight in to a table for some food in departures. On the way back no queue at passport control at all and only a short wait for the bags. All in all a very good experience.

No its entirely true, they had originally paired back the service to start in late may, they’ve now completely got rid of it, here is a copy of the email they sent us cancelling our June 2023 flights confirming the route is no more. 

76FB5CAF-3C28-47AD-80EA-4812EB25E549.png

Well that’s a bit shit and hasn’t been publicised yet as far as I can see? Last story I can see says they’re commencing late June through to late October.

My apologies - hope you get sorted out. Real shame if they bin it - the service was great out from Edinburgh just there.

It's strange there aren't other airlines lining up to go to Orlando given there are flights from Edinburgh to Toronto (Pearson), New York (JFK and Newark), Chicago (O'Hare), Washington D.C. (Dulles), Boston (Logan), and Atlanta (Hartsfield-Jackson).

Though I believe TUI fly there (Melbourne), it's actually like 50 miles away from Orlando proper.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

It's strange there aren't other airlines lining up to go to Orlando given there are flights from Edinburgh to Toronto (Pearson), New York (JFK and Newark), Chicago (O'Hare), Washington D.C. (Dulles), Boston (Logan), and Atlanta (Hartsfield-Jackson).

Though I believe TUI fly there (Melbourne), it's actually like 50 miles away from Orlando proper.

I can only imagine the route doesn't make any money, or at least is not profitable now. The GLA-MCO route is gone (presumably EDI was replacing it) and the charters are all gone as well, leaving no direct flights from Scotland. Even down south capacity has been cut with Virgin retiring the 747s and sending smaller aircraft instead. It seems like there ought to be sufficient demand for a service from Scotland, but if they were earning money from it they wouldn't pull it. 

If the margins were slim already, the GBP/USD rate being in the gutter will probably knock it out completely. 

TUI moved their flight to Melbourne for their cruises, so I wonder if that's holding up well for them or if many are just booking flight only. 

5 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Well that’s a bit shit and hasn’t been publicised yet as far as I can see? Last story I can see says they’re commencing late June through to late October.

My apologies - hope you get sorted out. Real shame if they bin it - the service was great out from Edinburgh just there.

Not a problem, i think Virgin are really shit at the messaging when they cut services, the Edinburgh move last year was the same, they were still selling seats to Glasgow. We had our reward flights booked for June, theyve been shifted to Manchester but we’re just going to cancel and go with BA to California instead i think. 

3 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Quite a bizarre move to can them entirely as there doesn’t seem to be an imminent return to Glasgow but I guess VA are rooked so consolidating everything to their two hubs. 

Im a regular booker with Virgin Holidays, get on well with the staff in Glasgow and the impression i got is that from their sales alone they can fill a plane a week from Scotland, its incredibly strange. 

3 hours ago, Elixir said:

The flight the MLB is genuinely great, the speed of getting through that airport actually makes the time you spend travelling to orlando etc much of a muchness than arriving at MCO. Also its quite a nice wee drive. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

I can only imagine the route doesn't make any money, or at least is not profitable now. The GLA-MCO route is gone (presumably EDI was replacing it) and the charters are all gone as well, leaving no direct flights from Scotland. Even down south capacity has been cut with Virgin retiring the 747s and sending smaller aircraft instead. It seems like there ought to be sufficient demand for a service from Scotland, but if they were earning money from it they wouldn't pull it. 

If the margins were slim already, the GBP/USD rate being in the gutter will probably knock it out completely. 

TUI moved their flight to Melbourne for their cruises, so I wonder if that's holding up well for them or if many are just booking flight only. 

The cruises were a big reason, but they are still shifting the package holidays with no real change to when they were in and out of Sanford. 
I suspect the reason they are pulling the service is staffing related, its becoming very difficult to recruit in that sector after the way they treated staff in lockdown etc. 

I haven't flown into Melbourne but I suspect the drive from there to the Kissimmee area villas etc isn't that much longer than from MCO - and probably quicker overall when you take into account how busy MCO is.

Strange that Virgin are still selling for July onwards - that ties up with the press release last week that they are maintaining the route.

There is an industry wide issue (not just in airlines - across all aviation sectors) with staffing just now. Training stopped during Covid and there is a huge retirement bubble about to pop without the trained staff to replace them across all sorts of jobs.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I haven't flown into Melbourne but I suspect the drive from there to the Kissimmee area villas etc isn't that much longer than from MCO - and probably quicker overall when you take into account how busy MCO is.

Strange that Virgin are still selling for July onwards - that ties up with the press release last week that they are maintaining the route.

There is an industry wide issue (not just in airlines - across all aviation sectors) with staffing just now. Training stopped during Covid and there is a huge retirement bubble about to pop without the trained staff to replace them across all sorts of jobs.

Hey they might have made a uturn but i find it completely amateurish the way they’ve gone about this.