How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im flying Edinburgh to Amsterdam and then connecting to Vancouver in two weeks, this thread has me utterly shiting myself haha. Do i need to go through security again at Schipol before connecting? Worried about spending 4.5 hours there with f**k all to do, especially with a 4 year old. 

Not much help but if you do have to exit security and go back in I'd at least spend some time at the cafe by the main entrance where you can sit outside. In normal times I'd suggest jumping on a bus to somewhere like Haarlem, but it's a bit tight given the current chaos. There are play areas past security but I doubt anyone knows if they'll be open at the moment.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/at-schiphol/discover/facilities/kids-having-fun

8 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im flying Edinburgh to Amsterdam and then connecting to Vancouver in two weeks, this thread has me utterly shiting myself haha. Do i need to go through security again at Schipol before connecting? Worried about spending 4.5 hours there with f**k all to do, especially with a 4 year old. 

You won't have 4.5hrs by the time you de-plane and board next flight you'll only have about 3hrs tops.Again central area with all the shops go up theres a kiddies play area and north American gates always seem to be down either E or F about a 5 min wander from the main bit

Ps You shouldn't have to go through passport/security again 

Edited by doulikefish

13 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I went back through security and passport control transiting in AMS on a journey within the EU but in theory I don't think you should have to.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

I went back through security and passport control transiting in AMS on a journey within the EU but in theory I don't think you should have to.

Logically he'll be flying from and to third countries so he should be able to stay airside, but I've never found Schiphol that logical, I've had a different experience every time.

40 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thanks for that folks, we’ll load up the ipad so theres stuff to pacify the wee man, flying klm so no idea what to expect in terms of food and IFE. Just take loads with us probably! 

If you're flying KLM both legs they should transfer your luggage and you'll be staying airside I'd imagine. You get a free sandwich and coffee/juice on the INV-AMS flight, haven't gone long haul with them.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thanks for that folks, we’ll load up the ipad so theres stuff to pacify the wee man, flying klm so no idea what to expect in terms of food and IFE. Just take loads with us probably! 

KLM are first class, managed to get me and my luggage across Amsterdam in 25 mins after I was late due to a air traffic controller strike and assured me if there was any problem I would have a hotel in Amsterdam, probably annoying that their efficiency meant I didn't get an extra night away.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If you're flying KLM both legs they should transfer your luggage and you'll be staying airside I'd imagine. You get a free sandwich and coffee/juice on the INV-AMS flight, haven't gone long haul with them.

Yeh id hoped to be booked through to Vancouver, glad to hear they arent tight from the sounds of that, il still take loads of snacks cos im a pie. 

1 hour ago, 101 said:

KLM are first class, managed to get me and my luggage across Amsterdam in 25 mins after I was late due to a air traffic controller strike and assured me if there was any problem I would have a hotel in Amsterdam, probably annoying that their efficiency meant I didn't get an extra night away.

That makes me feel an awful lot better having heard that, virgin were my go to airline for ages and the customer service has been shite, im going to meet a cruise so hoping for no delays.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yeh id hoped to be booked through to Vancouver, glad to hear they arent tight from the sounds of that, il still take loads of snacks cos im a pie. 

That makes me feel an awful lot better having heard that, virgin were my go to airline for ages and the customer service has been shite, im going to meet a cruise so hoping for no delays.

If you are KLM both legs they have machines by the gates where you can self transfer and don't have to go back through security.

Although presumably most folk will have checked in online anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Ridiculously long wait at check in - system issues- a couple of weeks ago for us going out but security fine. Way back in was a breeze too other than waiting an age for bags to arrive - about an hour after landing although the wait probably seemed longer as we were very quickly through the border gates. 

Flew from Edinburgh to Vancouver via Amsterdam on saturday there with KLM. Our flight was supposed to be at 0930, we got to the airport for 0630 and the screen said that the KLM desks dont open until 2hrs before take off. I get that might not seem a big deal to some, but getting a toddler through security, fed and settled before a flight is difficult in a short time period, so we like to give ourselves plenty of time. Eventually the check in opened and they had 1 desk to check in an entire plane, the line was massive. Loads of americans with ‘sky priority’ it’d seem, despite having airline status you’d think they’d never flown before with the length of time they took to check in. All in pretty shitty level of service at check in. 
Reading this thread meant we booked priority security lane, glad we did, cleared security in 5 minutes start to finish. 
Had breakfast at Hudson’s i think its called, genuinely lovely breakfast and one of the best ive had at an airport. 
Flight was typically delayed eventually (i think because they fucked up the check in). 
Several folks seemed to miss connections in Amsterdam as a result.  No idea how that works for them, but i hope they get decent compo. 
Our flight from Amsterdam was delayed for 2hrs due to a bit of maintenance and having to put 2 people who were too drunk off the plane and finding their luggage. Really didnt like flying KLM, the seat was awful, food shite and the staff really arsey. On canadian flights you need to wear masks, fair enough, they were announcing it on the PA every five minutes or so, which kept interrupting the in flight tv, then went to the galley to get a drink and none of the cabin crew were wearing masks, shower of hypocrites. 

So generally i agree, Edinburgh airport is shite, but regardless, im here now so at least i got away. 

Went out of Edinburgh 11 days ago and due to storm over Heathrow there was a delay with the plane sitting on the tarmac.  Came back in yesterday and no issues with cases arriving fairly quickly. From landing till getting in taxi was 30 minutes.

Heathrow yesterday as a complete and utter joke. Asked an employee a question and was met with a grunt, asked another a direction and he nonchalantly indicated by throwing his thumb over his shoulder. 

Then we came to security, what a F*****g joke. Staff leaning against pillar, yawning, then the case had to be checked. Stood and waited while other cases were being checked. The Security guy decided he was taking everything out of every case and checking it.  It was obvious that he could not cope or had just started the job. Not helped by the fact that a group of 6 supervisors stood by and watched him.  A girl burst into tears as she was going to miss her connection before someone took her case out of the queue and checked it. Supervisors were being asked what they were doing about it but just shrugged and when asked for a complaints form shouted over their shoulder use the web.

Seriously a complete and utter joke of a place.

Just back from three weeks in America, earlier tonight. Two of the three cases failed to arrive after our flight up from Heathrow. 

I hopeful they are on a later flight. So maybe they will appear over the next couple of days.

It is shite though. You can fly in and out of four American airports (one with a 30 minute turn around at Charlotte) without a hitch, but it all goes tits up in the UK.

At least a dozen other customers were in the same position. The lad at Menzies firmly pointing the finger at Heathrow luggage handling being a complete basket case at the moment. 

Edited by qos_75