How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

If there’s a discussion about airlines, rather than just Embra airport, then my tuppenceworth is that I’ve flown with Southwest Airlines a lot in the USA, and have, without exception, found their staff to be the friendliest, cheeriest, and most helpful airline staff I’ve ever encountered.
I bet though, like Arnold Clark cars, lots of folk will have said online that they’re shite. [emoji3]

Southwest are a fantastic airline, staff well switched on, planes tend to get off quick, 2 free checked in bags and hand luggage, leg room is pretty decent. I’ve heard people say Ryanair are based on Southwest but they are nothing alike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I flew with Flybe to and from London City this week. Credit to Edinburgh - they've upped their game considerably in security. 

As for Flybe, I guess they need to cut every cost they can but they're not going to win friends in the commuter community by parking themselves as close to the A8 as possible. Both going out and coming back involved a proper trek on the bus. The bus back in used to at least drop you straight in to arrivals on the ground floor but now it's a random gate and a hike. 

Absolutely breezed through Edinburgh last week. On our return we were out of the airport within 10 min of landing (no hold luggage). I'm starting to prefer Edinburgh to Glasgow.

The folk working in security at Edinburgh, or any other airport. No wonder they can sometimes be grumpy. The amount of utter fannies they have to deal with on a daily basis. I fly a fair bit, and every time, every single time, there’s an utter fanny around who has three tons of fcuking hand luggage, cannae’ even take their laptop out ahead of arriving at the security belt, cannae’ put their 200 bottles of toiletries into a bag before arriving at the security belt, and then, having got through, are too fcuking lazy to pick up their grey plastic tray and return it to the stack at the end of the process. Fcukers deserve a boot in the stones.
People who don't return their trays are up there, for me, with folk who don't thank you when you let them out on the road and folk who don't turn their wheelie bin handles to the road when they leave them out for the bin men. Scum of the earth.

On 06/01/2020 at 11:35, welshbairn said:

c***s at Birmingham Airport have closed the smoking balcony past security, it's the main reason I use it. Hopefully they'll bring it back after refurbishment.

^^^ Anti social Leper colony lover.

I smoked 40 a day for over 30 years and was the first in the queue to complain if I could not have a cigarette. I am now the first to moan about people smoking in my vicinity. 
Every single fuckin day I miss not having a cigarette!

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I take it boozers airside are part of the alcohol ban at the moment? 

A quick look says All Bar One and Spoons are open airside, you need to download an app to order. Good luck at Berlin!

• 9 months later...

First time flying in four years this morning and obviously first since Covid. Maybe 10-15 mins at bag drop at Glasgow for people to check documents. I shat myself as people in the line were pulling out Covid certificates and what looked like health insurance/Covid tests. Luckily they were going to Faro and not London like me. At security there was a little bit of a hang about in an enclosed space waiting for folk to go through the metal detector. Again only 10-15 mins tops.

I imagine Stanstead will be a lot different, I’ve never flown from there either so see what happens. @welshbairn do they have a smoking area airside?

3 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

First time flying in four years this morning and obviously first since Covid. Maybe 10-15 mins at bag drop at Glasgow for people to check documents. I shat myself as people in the line were pulling out Covid certificates and what looked like health insurance/Covid tests. Luckily they were going to Faro and not London like me. At security there was a little bit of a hang about in an enclosed space waiting for folk to go through the metal detector. Again only 10-15 mins tops.

I imagine Stanstead will be a lot different, I’ve never flown from there either so see what happens. @welshbairn do they have a smoking area airside?

Google tells me no, but they must have bogs. 

• 10 months later...
51 minutes ago, 101 said:

Suprised to not see this thread higher up the board. It was poor when I went through on the arrivals last month but it looks absolutely ridiculous tonight.

Screenshot_20220719-190013.jpg

I don't get it. Why didn't they just take advantage of furlough to keep them on during bad Covid, then start paying their wages again? Only reason I can think of was fire/rehire, but it turned out that people weren't willing to work for even worse wages and conditions than they'd been paying before.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't get it. Why didn't they just take advantage of furlough to keep them on during bad Covid, then start paying their wages again? Only reason I can think of was fire/rehire, but it turned out that people weren't willing to work for even worse wages and conditions than they'd been paying before.

Correct on each point.  Swissport/Edinburgh Airport acted with the same levels of haste to get rid of a fair percentage of staff as soon as covid hit in the same way that fat tory cretin, Martin, did at Wetherspoons.  From guys i've spoken to, both were expecting their former employees to be begging to come back, but lots had to find, out of necessity, other employment to survive during and post pandemic.  They have kept their new jobs rather than go back to the old regimes.

The issues at Edinburgh are principally with the lack of Security staff, although they seem to be fast-tracking new staff to increase the numbers now.  As Swissport do both the ramp duties (loading/unloading the luggage from planes as well as "pushing" and guiding planes on the stands) and ground duties (check-in/boarding/baggage hall) as agents for a number of airlines who don't have their own staff at the Airport, with minimum staff they have not been able to cope with the substantial increase in passenger numbers as the Summer has gone on.  They are the main guilty party for all the baggage issues and cancellations, with Menzies also contributing to a lesser degree. 

Edit    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/passengers-left-hours-claim-luggage-27525970

They refer to the shambles that is as "challenging conditions"  😂😂

Edited by hearthammer

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Yeh I think they thought they could cut staff and recruit as fast as they chucked folk. But let's be honest how many folk would won't to return after receiving that treatment and having to work such unsociable hours.

Absolutely no one about either to help, my friends flight disappeared on the arrivals board so there were a few folk arriving making panicked phone calls. Whilst I was there waiting spend £16 on parking so probably getting on for 2 hours ages but as is typical with EDI they can't wait to take cash in but seem reluctant to spend it, the place could do with a right good clean for a start.

3 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Correct on each point.  Swissport/Edinburgh Airport acted with the same levels of haste to get rid of a fair percentage of staff as soon as covid hit in the same way that fat tory cretin, Martin, did at Wetherspoons.  From guys i've spoken to, both were expecting their former employees to be begging to come back, but lots had to find, out of necessity, other employment to survive during and post pandemic.  They have kept their new jobs rather than go back to the old regimes.

The issues at Edinburgh are principally with the lack of Security staff, although they seem to be fast-tracking new staff to increase the numbers now.  As Swissport do both the ramp duties (loading/unloading the luggage from planes as well as "pushing" and guiding planes on the stands) and ground duties (check-in/boarding/baggage hall) as agents for a number of airlines who don't have their own staff at the Airport, with minimum staff they have not been able to cope with the substantial increase in passenger numbers as the Summer has gone on.  They are the main guilty party for all the baggage issues and cancellations, with Menzies also contributing to a lesser degree. 

Had a look at security and driving jobs going at Manchester Airport at the beginning of June, not much over minimum wage, average hours contract so you can work 84 hour weeks with no overtime, they just tell you to go home when it's quiet.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Had a look at security and driving jobs going at Manchester Airport at the beginning of June, not much over minimum wage, average hours contract so you can work 84 hour weeks with no overtime, they just tell you to go home when it's quiet.

Was told, without anything to verify it, that the Swissport overtime rates plus bonuses were around £60 an hour during the busy period recently.  What their basic hourly rates are, i don't know.  Might be a lot of tosh, but the guy i know was fairly sure his info was accurate.  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️