How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

On 17/10/2019 at 10:41, highlandcowden said:

just got an email today from Ryanair saying that I should be giving myself extra time getting into departures at Edinburgh due to "improvement works" being carried out at security-can anyone give me any info on whether theres a real issue here or not as im travelling on Saturday evening and was going to catch the first half of the footy before heading to the airport-don't want to be hanging about there any longer than is actually necessary.these works are ongoing till march apparantly

I had the same email in the summer and got through security in 5 minutes.

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Must be to cover their backs in case of any complaints.

It's probably the same thing as the way Ryanair make you go through the gate much earlier than other airlines, sometimes before it's even landed. Saving money by reducing delays and maybe grabbing early slots.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's probably the same thing as the way Ryanair make you go through the gate much earlier than other airlines, sometimes before it's even landed. Saving money by reducing delays and maybe grabbing early slots.

Had dealings with Ryanair (the company/head office) through business many years ago.

They operate probably the strictest turnaround regime in the low budget sector.  The mentality of "time on the ground is money lost" is their mantra.  Even after boarding, the cabin staff seem to be running around with two-bob rockets up their arses to speed things along and get airborne asap.  Nobody should be surprised at their practices and antics.

23 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Using one of those flight tracking apps, I discovered Easyjet called us to the gate at Edinburgh as the aircraft was crossing the Solway Firth - ie not even in the same country!

50 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Using one of those flight tracking apps, I discovered Easyjet called us to the gate at Edinburgh as the aircraft was crossing the Solway Firth - ie not even in the same country!

Ryanair would have already announced "Last call for boarding" and had everyone standing on the runway. 

On 17/10/2019 at 13:57, welshbairn said:

Don't know about the works, but I'd pay a fiver for Fast Track which should mean you shouldn't have any bother. It's usually worth it to avoid the queues and cruise through to the bar anyway.

I did that once as I was cutting it a bit neat for a flight. Absolute clowns (fellow passengers) fired that many bags into the xray thing at the same time that it got jammed up and they had to stop it and unload.

Ended up slower than not buying fast track...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Waltzed through the airport this morning. Interesting to see the changes at check in and also upstairs. No hassle from arrival to getting on the flight.

Arrival at Newark was a joke - only 2 immigration officers to greet the flights and took over an hour to clear immigration. After 40 minutes they brought 2 more officers out but the apathy of them all was appalling. God bless America

13 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Not specifically Edinburgh Airport related, but I've had to watch that BA flight safety video with the Comic Relief luvvies twice today. A pile of unfunny shite.

I mentioned this on a thread somewhere too. It’s truly awful. There’s two of them as well. The one with ‘Joanna Lum, lum, lumalay’, and the one with Warwick Davis and the ‘wizard pipes’ gag.

I feel sorry for the cabin crew who have to listen to that shite time after time.

Edited by pozbaird

Waltzed through the airport this morning. Interesting to see the changes at check in and also upstairs. No hassle from arrival to getting on the flight.

Arrival at Newark was a joke - only 2 immigration officers to greet the flights and took over an hour to clear immigration. After 40 minutes they brought 2 more officers out but the apathy of them all was appalling. God bless America

Are they still absolute wankers with nae personality or do they occasionally crack theodd smile ?

As a regular traveller to the USA, Dulles Airport in Washington DC is my least favourite to fly to, or transit through. Denver and Dallas are better as they are less mental than Dulles, O’Hare, or any of the New York airports. The biggest pain-in-the-arse is immigration control in US airports, but even then, I reckon it’s just your Donald Duck if it is OK, or a 2 hour plus nightmare. If you happen to arrive at the same time as a Lufthansa A380 and a Japan Air Lines 747, you’re goosed.

I was out of Edinburgh less than 20 minutes after hitting tarmac tonight including picking up a checked bag.

20 odd self scan passport machines as opposed to Charlerois one boy go slow protest. 

Charlerois   fucking shambles on way oit too. Security check to enter terminal to go through another security check seconds later then having to through border patrol to get to gate.

On 27/11/2019 at 14:16, Hampden Diehard said:

I've always been fairly impressed with Schiphol but it was very slow to get through last weekend, even very early in the morning. UK-style lack of staff at security and passport control.

The new(-ish) scanners at Schiphol where laptops and liquids can stay in your bag are fantastic, though.