How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
On 13/04/2019 at 00:02, Todd_is_God said:
On the subject of big airports... Brussels.
Had to walk what seemed like a mile, to get onto a bus to take me back to pretty much the gate I arrived at.

Amsterdam....signs for everything except how to leave the place.

Agree. People on here rave about it but it's shite if you're in a hurry.

I've been flying almost every week for the last 3 months and can see the improvements over time. All but two of those trips have been internal so haven't had to witness the worst part of the airport, baggage reclaim, for a while.

Hopefully along with everything else that's also getting better.  

I actually quite like Edinburgh Airport. Used it three times last summer and was pretty much flawless every time. I actually found that on all 3 occasions, it was better than the airport at the other end.

Copenhagen was absolutely heaving, I appreciate that you sometimes can't get a seat in a restaurant but here you couldn't get a seat anywhere. It did have a decent range of places but - as is the trend in Denmark and other airports generally- they were all super expensive. Talking around £9 for a Starbucks sandwich.

Naples and Cardiff both had the opposite problem. Absolutely loads of room but very little places to actually eat (on a budget at least). Naples was full of shite designer shops and Cardiff genuinely had two restaurants, which is strange considering it's the biggest airport in Wales.

• 3 weeks later...

The only time Edinburgh is a nightmare is coming back into it. They ****ing passport barriers man.

Never had a single problem going out, my only pet peeve would be it seems to be the only airport that advises your gate about 20 minutes before boarding, but it's pretty small tbf.

The only problem I have with Edinburgh airport is when you cross the road from the car park to enter the terminal. As you enter, near the escalators, there’s very little physical room to move to where you need to check in. It’s a proper bottleneck area, with people all entering, leaving, heading to the escalators, trying to head to the check-in desks.

On the plus side, it doesn’t have a fcuking Celtic shop in it. One of these days I’m going into Glasgow airport and erecting a ‘St Mirren Club Shop’ sign over theirs, see how the cnuts like it. :P

Does anyone know what the traffic is like with the Royal Highland Show on just now?

I've got a 5.30pm flight on Sunday and I'm trying to figure out when to leave Dundee. I normally time it so I'm parking up around 90 minutes before scheduled departure time. 

Does anyone know what the traffic is like with the Royal Highland Show on just now?
I've got a 5.30pm flight on Sunday and I'm trying to figure out when to leave Dundee. I normally time it so I'm parking up around 90 minutes before scheduled departure time. 

Horrific is the answer. It always is. You’ll be coming from Maybury so it won’t be as bad, but there was tailbacks all the way past Gogar last year for the slip into the airport, which was at least 45 mins delay. Might be better this year and depends on the time, but I’d leave a decent amount of extra over to be sure.

I'd forgotten about this thread, was over to get married recently and went on a European trip for our honeymoon. Passed through airports in Toronto (Pearson), Dublin, Edinburgh, Paris Orly and CDG, Geneva and Amsterdam. By far the shitest was Edinburgh, with Toronto a close second. The passport gates at Edinburgh seemed fine, apart from my missus being one of the only non EU passport holders on our flight and skipping the queue. Either other countries just don't care, didn't show my passport boarding from France to Switzerland or Austria to Netherlands and at Amsterdam they told you not to take the liquids out of your bags, or Edinburgh is massively over the top with their security. Shite

4 hours ago, Torpar said:

Either other countries just don't care, didn't show my passport boarding from France to Switzerland or Austria to Netherlands

Not sure if being whooshed here but that's Schengen that allows you to travel between those countries without showing your passport.

6 hours ago, Torpar said:

I'd forgotten about this thread, was over to get married recently and went on a European trip for our honeymoon. Passed through airports in Toronto (Pearson), Dublin, Edinburgh, Paris Orly and CDG, Geneva and Amsterdam. By far the shitest was Edinburgh, with Toronto a close second. The passport gates at Edinburgh seemed fine, apart from my missus being one of the only non EU passport holders on our flight and skipping the queue. Either other countries just don't care, didn't show my passport boarding from France to Switzerland or Austria to Netherlands and at Amsterdam they told you not to take the liquids out of your bags, or Edinburgh is massively over the top with their security. Shite

Presumably you had to show some form of ID to get on each plane at some stage in the process? 

19 hours ago, Torpar said:

Arriving into Pearson is a fucking nightmare, second only to Bangkok for most chaotic airports.  It took me about an hour an a half from arrival to clear security in November, due to the ridiculous queues and fucking about at the self service border control machines.

Edited by MONKMAN

On 21/06/2019 at 18:22, Jason King said:

Not sure if being whooshed here but that's Schengen that allows you to travel between those countries without showing your passport.

Fair point, I'd forgotten about that, though we took the bus from Geneva to Munich (to be cheap, huge mistake) and the bus was all woken up at 3am by German border guards asking for everyone's passports. 

On 21/06/2019 at 20:13, welshbairn said:

Presumably you had to show some form of ID to get on each plane at some stage in the process? 

Flight out of Paris and Vienna we just scanned our boarding passes at the gate, no ID checks

Just now, Torpar said:

Fair point, I'd forgotten about that, though we took the bus from Geneva to Munich (to be cheap, huge mistake) and the bus was all woken up at 3am by German border guards asking for everyone's passports. 

Flight out of Paris and Vienna we just scanned our boarding passes at the gate, no ID checks

Did you not have to show your passport at check in, or give your passport details if you checked in online?

On 22/06/2019 at 09:15, MONKMAN said:

Arriving into Pearson is a fucking nightmare, second only to Bangkok for most chaotic airports.  It took me about an hour an a half from arrival to clear security in November, due to the ridiculous queues and fucking about at the self service border control machines.

Yeah it's just a pain in the arse arriving there from long haul flights, Montreal is the same. We fly in from Dublin on the Aer Lingus flight and arrived at the same time as the Air Transat flight from Dublin, two full large planes trying to go security at the same time, we were directed towards some self scan machines near the gate we landed at, then they decided the queue was too big so directed everyone to the main self scan area, would be nice if Dublin at Canadian immigration before they flight like they do for the Yanks. I scanned my PR card rather than my British passport which made things a lot easier. 

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Did you not have to show your passport at check in, or give your passport details if you checked in online?

I checked in online and gave our passport details, same as I did for our flights out of the UK but still had to show my passport flying out of Edinburgh