A restructured 12 team league

In recent weeks we’ve heard suggestions to revert back to a 10 team top flight, which is still remembered for it’s repetition; or move to a 16 team setup which has attracted criticism for it’s lack of fixtures (only 30 games), it’s stagnation of competitiveness for mid-table sides, and the weakness of any second tier below it.

Keen to hear the thoughts of punters on the suggestion of a re-worked 12 team setup -http://scottishfootballrestructure.wordpress.com

Good model, would be a laugh to try it in practice. What people forget is that there are many different models for league football, not just the traditional European one. Argentina, Belgium, USA all use different ones with varying success. Why can't we just give a new one a try for a season, see how it goes!

I like the American (?) model where no one wins the league but the top several teams go into a knock out cup to determine the years winner...

Edit: Just read the blog. Personally, I like it-ish. Though I don't like summer football, got better things to do in the summer and it's not like any team has more than one cancelled fixture a season anyway on average. The splits are a bit of a problem though in that post Chirstmas, you're doomed to only play 5 other teams for the rest of the season, 2 of them even more. I do like the idea though that every single mini league has something to play for, though that doesn't mean it is truly competitive. Some teams could be completely safe or out of the race come the split to three teams due to points gaps making the battle meaningless.

forkboy, on 19 May 2015 - 00:25, said:

Can we just leave it as it is? It's fine. I mean it's not great but it could be worse, it's fine.

Said it in the Championship version. If it was governed by folk who weren't donkeys, then it'd be fine.

It's fine the way it is.

The introduction of the play offs has been a great thing across the leagues and solved a lot of the end of season monotonous games that were common place.

Leave it alone.

I think it's horrific. It also doesn't really allow for the 'Hibs award for total capitulation' which was shared by Hamilton and Killie this season. We were each in advanced parts of the league at certain times but sh*t the bed - as my Gran would have said.

The 'Hibs award' should be a thing incidentally with a proper trophy, (that falls apart and disappears).

In recent weeks we’ve heard suggestions to revert back to a 10 team top flight, which is still remembered for it’s repetition; or move to a 16 team setup which has attracted criticism for it’s lack of fixtures (only 30 games), it’s stagnation of competitiveness for mid-table sides, and the weakness of any second tier below it.[/size]

Keen to hear the thoughts of punters on the suggestion of a re-worked 12 team setup -http://scottishfootballrestructure.wordpress.com[/size]

Hiya Cockwomble!!!

In recent weeks we’ve heard suggestions to revert back to a 10 team top flight, which is still remembered for it’s repetition; or move to a 16 team setup which has attracted criticism for it’s lack of fixtures (only 30 games), it’s stagnation of competitiveness for mid-table sides, and the weakness of any second tier below it.

Keen to hear the thoughts of punters on the suggestion of a re-worked 12 team setup -http://scottishfootballrestructure.wordpress.com

My reply

The best option for allowing teams to develop young talent and to end the monotony of playing the same teams over and over is for a 16 team league with 2 relegated and perhaps play off for a third relegation spot. You could still incorporate some of your play off ideas for championship and European places.That gives every team a minimum 30 league games .

These could be increased to a minimum of 38 by reinstating the league cup sections at the beginning of the season with another 8 games per team. Permutations for sections are endless for example 8 groups of 5 with two qualifying from each for the next round. Seeding could be based on previous seasons league finish.Also if the league cup sections were seeded these games could be used as competitive pre-season warm ups for the bigger teams instead of meaningless friendlies. And the smaller teams would be guaranteed a bigger gate against premiershiip opposition. You could share home gates in the section games also to increase the benefit and distribution of cash.

My reply

The best option for allowing teams to develop young talent and to end the monotony of playing the same teams over and over is for a 16 team league with 2 relegated and perhaps play off for a third relegation spot. You could still incorporate some of your play off ideas for championship and European places.That gives every team a minimum 30 league games .

These could be increased to a minimum of 38 by reinstating the league cup sections at the beginning of the season with another 8 games per team. Permutations for sections are endless for example 8 groups of 5 with two qualifying from each for the next round. Seeding could be based on previous seasons league finish.Also if the league cup sections were seeded these games could be used as competitive pre-season warm ups for the bigger teams instead of meaningless friendlies. And the smaller teams would be guaranteed a bigger gate against premiershiip opposition. You could share home gates in the section games also to increase the benefit and distribution of cash.

My reply to your reply.

I don't think 'sections' work in any way. I'm bored of the split after only a few seasons because you generally (in the bottom half anyway), end up playing the least sexy teams with the smallest travelling fans continually. Also, things like seeding would be a tool to protect the top clubs only any would inhibit the smaller clubs progress immediately.

I agree that we really just need to look at a simple 16 or 18 team league and we only play each other twice, (I couldn't care less that the TV companies want 4 Ugly Sisters clashes). We then have 2 automatically relegated and a play-off too. However, trying to make this format more exciting then just comes across contrived and convoluted.

Archived