New Zealand thinking of changing their flag

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

The general consensus over here is that the whole flag referendum has been a complete waste of time and money.

I very much doubt that they flag will change.

should have had a wee flutter for no change

Kincardine - I think it's being polite more than anything else, the flag will go and there will be a serious debate about becoming a republic (which I think they will go for), but only when Liz pops her clogs.  I would suspect the rest of the Dominions will do the same.

But it's been a waste of time and never mind TTP coming in, look at the pretty flags....

Kincardine - I think it's being polite more than anything else, the flag will go and there will be a serious debate about becoming a republic (which I think they will go for), but only when Liz pops her clogs.  I would suspect the rest of the Dominions will do the same.

Don't misunderstand me, chappy.  I'm wedded to neither empire nor monarchy.  I do think that Her Maj is a tremendous head of state but if we can agree a better political settlement, including the commonwealth realms, then I;d support it.

I also have no issue with NZ being a republic with its unique fleg.  The connections we have go much deeper than symbols and geegaws.

Well that much we agree upon, Liz has done a great job, I don't think that's in doubt, but I will stake the farm on NZ, OZ and Canada being republics in 20 years time. Same actually for Scotland if I think about it.

But the original point stands, it was never the right time, John Key has tried to sneak TTP in and use the flag as a distraction...

Well that much we agree upon, Liz has done a great job, I don't think that's in doubt, but I will stake the farm on NZ, OZ and Canada being republics in 20 years time. Same actually for Scotland if I think about it.

But the original point stands, it was never the right time, John Key has tried to sneak TTP in and use the flag as a distraction...

"use the flag as a distraction", I'm amazed no politician over here hasn't thought of that...

For those of us not up to our oxters in Kiwi politics can you explain what 'TTP' is?  Is it different to The Trans Pacific Partnership? 

Was never in doubt. I can imagine John Key seething at this though.

That was enough to vote yes for me if I was still down there.

Snake oil salesman....

It's also strange that my FB timeline is actually Kiwis going 'yep, correct decision' and other Scots Nats and republicans up here slating them for it. From a Kiwi perspective it was an easy choice IMO.

Archived