Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

2 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Just signed Corbett thoughts ?  

I think Adam Corbett's a smashing player and I was really disappointed to see him leave Stenhousemuir. He's a classy footballer - he's good in possession, he's quick off the mark and he can operate in central defence or at right-back, where he was probably at his best for the Warriors. He's also decent in the air and should score three or four times a season (as well as assisting the same number). One obvious drawback is that he's a little brittle and will probably miss a few matches with niggles and injuries. I think his lack of reliability was a big factor in him not being kept on. He can sometimes be pushed around a bit by bigger opponents, although he's become more assured the longer he's been in the SPFL.

I think he's got a high ceiling and I'm pleased he's getting the chance to step up into League 1, albeit with a much-changed Kelty Hearts side. If, if , he can stay fit, he'll be a big success. Adam's a great guy and his family are really nice too, so expect to see them at most home and away matches.

Some of the signings will work out well, some maybe won't but there are 2 things that have impressed me.

1. We have signed players who fulfil roles that we simply didn't have last season. A big striker (Aitken), a box to box midfielder (Berry) any right midfielder (Taylor), a creative central attacking midfielder (Kirkpatrick).

2. These players have been tartgetted early are are clearly the ones the manager wants. This means less scraping about last minute trying to find often inferior last cab off the rankers.

2 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Some of the signings will work out well, some maybe won't but there are 2 things that have impressed me.

1. We have signed players who fulfil roles that we simply didn't have last season. A big striker (Aitken), a box to box midfielder (Berry) any right midfielder (Taylor), a creative central attacking midfielder (Kirkpatrick).

2. These players have been tartgetted early are are clearly the ones the manager wants. This means less scraping about last minute trying to find often inferior last cab off the rankers.

Having watched Matty for years at forfar I can't stress how much while being a good player that he isn't a 'big striker", he doesn't use his body well at all for someone his height.

Don't want you guys thinking he's the answer to a lack of presence if that's what you needed.

Edited by ScottishLoon

31 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

Having watched Matty for years at forfar I can't stress how much while being a good player that he isn't a 'big striker", he doesn't use his body well at all for someone his height.

Don't want you guys thinking he's the answer to a lack of presence if that's what you needed.

All the presence of Gravity on the moon.

I probably liked Aitken more than most Forfar fans, but would be worried if Stenny's plan was to use him as a physical threat, as much muscle as a yum yum.

That being said I think he's decent with the ball to feet, he's good at taking the ball in, offloading it and heading to the box, capable of a decent strike from distance too.

Just too often the ball was launched high to him by us. In addition to him being a wafer physically he struggles to anticipate where the ball is going to go when it's played long and is the least aggressive presser you'll see

Gregor Buchanan should be a good signing for you lot. I think he's probably not dissimilar to Nicky Jamieson. 90 percent of the time he'll battle his way through games, relishing physical battles and winning everything in the air. During that time you'll be wondering why he's playing at this level.

Then he'll turn in a real stinker of a performance, where he's rash, easily turned, can't pass the ball and looks spooked by a striker's pace/physicality (delete as appropriate) and you'll go 'ahh, that's why he's not in the Championship any more.'

Last season he was by and large excellent for us. As shown by our defensive record. But he still had a couple of horrorshows. As shown by the skelpings we took on occasion. The season before he was absolutely horrendous for the most part (as shown by our defensive record) but still put in a storming performance every few months to remind you how good he could be (as shown by him being MOTM in most of our wins).

For an experienced player, I still think he plays best with someone more vocal alongside him. And I'm not convinced he's a captain, in the natural Andy Graham sense of the word, but I do think he's an upgrade on Sean Crighton for you lot, and I'm sure he'll do well at Ochilview. He's better than Crighton on the ball and isn't afraid to take it from the keeper, which is something you don't see all that often with decent centre-halves at this sort of level.

He absolutely loves attempting a big raking pass to the edge of the opposition penalty box mind you, so brace yourself to hammer a seat when he does it as you're chasing a goal with five minutes to play, and it skips off the surface (again) and out for a goal kick (again).